GDT: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many trades do the Avs make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I read this as if you were saying Jesus was in net for Vegas and thought I know they say Jesus saves but I don’t think that’s the way they mean that
To be fair, the difference between 2 teams might turn out to be the goalies, as the rosters are otherwise pretty fairly matched imo. And when it comes to goalies, i would say they have upper hand unfortunately. f***ing Vegas!

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
To be fair, the difference between 2 teams might turn out to be the goalies, as the rosters are otherwise pretty fairly matched imo. And when it comes to goalies, i would say they have upper hand unfortunately. f***ing Vegas!
OR, the clock has finally struck midnight on Hill and Thompson.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Can someone with a sub tell us what LeBrun said about the Avs?

Avalanche​

Has GM Chris MacFarland pulled off another version of the deadline that preceded the Cup run two years ago? Perhaps. The Avs sure hope it has the same impact.

They added a pair of bottom-six forwards in Yakov Trenin and Brandon Duhaime, but the headliners were center Casey Mittelstadt and defenseman Sean Walker.

The aim in the Duhaime and Trenin additions was to flesh out the bottom six enough that head coach Jared Bednar can use both lines with equal comfort, matchup-wise and minutes-wise — to have two third lines, not a third and a fourth. You need the depth to pull that off.

“Duhaime is a heavy body. He’s a straight-line, good skater, which obviously fits how we like to do things,” MacFarland told The Athletic on Saturday. “And he’s a gamer. And that was an attraction for us, to put a guy in our lineup that can skate with some weight behind it.

“Trenin is a big guy with decent hands. A really good checking forward, good penalty-kill guy. Just a really useful piece.”

Again, the headline-grabbers were the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers trades, though. Those stemmed from a conclusion the Avs front office made earlier that Ryan Johansen, acquired last summer, wasn’t cutting it as the second-line center, a spot that’s been difficult to replace since Nazem Kadri was lost to free agency.

“It wasn’t working,” MacFarland said of the Johansen experiment. “And the 2C spot demanded attention to try and find a solution.”

Though MacFarland obviously couldn’t comment on it, he tried on Elias Lindholm in late January before the Calgary Flames dealt him to Vancouver.

So there were certainly a few targets. But the hope was to find a second-line center who wasn’t a rental. That meant a hockey deal, a more difficult proposition.

“It was a tricky deal,” MacFarland said of the second-line center search. It also meant finding a way to jettison Johansen’s contract, which runs through next season at a $4 million cap hit, whether in the same deal or a separate one.

“We had a bunch of different options, to be honest with you, but they all kind of had different secondary alternatives,” MacFarland said. “The one that we were able to get across the finish line was with Danny Briere and the Flyers. They did a great job and got a first-round pick out of it. We were the beneficiaries of being able to bring in Walker, whom we like a lot, on an expiring deal. So that made the math work.”

And again, MacFarland could not comment on this, but league sources confirm he had talked with Calgary about a similar package — a first-round pick and Johansen — for Chris Tanev. Calgary wasn’t interested in taking on the Johansen contract, and the Flames liked the Stars’ offer.

When the Avs got Johansen off the books and a top-four defenseman in Walker secured, they turned to finalizing an exciting hockey deal: blueliner Bowen Byram to the Sabres for Mittelstadt.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The West is really strong this year. Can’t disrespect anyone.

It’s going to be a battle against pretty much every team that gets in. Though, I think Nashville and LA are probably the weakest of the bunch and you’re better off drawing one of those teams in the 1st round.

Every team presents different challenges.

Vancouver is a little bit Colorado like, very explosive. And Demko is what makes them a challenging matchup.

Vegas is obviously very deep and proven in the playoffs.

Edmonton has McDrai and a pretty deep forward group.

Winnipeg and Dallas also have really good depth and goaltending. Dallas knows how to play against Colorado too, which can make them dangerous.

I like what Colorado has in terms of star power, and also a good mix of tenacious players who can win battles. I think they have they have the personnel now to lean on teams with their pressure and pace of play. We’ll see what happens, I think we’re going to see some amazing series.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

It’s going to be a battle against pretty much every team that gets in. Though, I think Nashville and LA are probably the weakest of the bunch and you’re better off drawing one of those teams in the 1st round.

Vancouver is a little bit Colorado like, very explosive. And Demko is what makes them a challenging matchup.

Winnipeg and Dallas also have really good depth and goaltending. Dallas knows how to play against Colorado too, which can make them dangerous.

I like what Colorado has in terms of star power, and also a good mix of tenacious players who can win battles. I think they have they have the personnel now to lean on teams with their pressure and pace of play. We’ll see what happens, I think we’re going to see some amazing series.
I thoroughly disrespect the golden showers for shitting on the salary cap, and I disrespect Bettman even more for allow this BS to happen.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Somehow the Avs got an 8/10 for their deadline by The Athletic, but the Stars got 9/10 for adding Tanev. Kay.
And the Oilers got an 8 for adding scoring in Henrique and depth in Carrick but we only get the same 8 when we fix a more important hole in 2C, D wirh Walker (replacing Byram) and absolutely no mentions of improving our own depth with Trenin and Duhaime. All this without costing us ANY of our main assets except for Byram and 2025 1st Rd pick.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

cant see the Avs beating Canucks, Jets, Dallas, Edmonton, Vegas or Nashville. Be better to just miss the playoffs all together to save money on flights and hotel.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This was Colorado's line-up on 3/11/23, lines per Dobber Hockey. Point totals (on 3/10, not the full season) in parentheses.

What a difference a year makes.

LWCLD
Rodrigues (30)MacKinnon (77)Rantanen (74)
Lehkonen (45)Compher (42)Nichushkin (32)
Cogliano (17)Eller (16)O'Connor (21)
Nieto (19)Newhook (26)Malgin (11)

LDRD
Toews (34)Makar (51)
Girard (29)Byram (14)
Johnson (4)Hunt (6)

Injured: E. Johnson(7), Landeskog(0), Manson(10)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This was Colorado's line-up on 3/11/23, lines per Dobber Hockey. Point totals (on 3/10, not the full season) in parentheses.

What a difference a year makes.

LWCLD
Rodrigues (30)MacKinnon (77)Rantanen (74)
Lehkonen (45)Compher (42)Nichushkin (32)
Cogliano (17)Eller (16)O'Connor (21)
Nieto (19)Newhook (26)Malgin (11)

LDRD
Toews (34)Makar (51)
Girard (29)Byram (14)
Johnson (4)Hunt (6)

Injured: E. Johnson(7), Landeskog(0), Manson(10)
That's bad

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Man I really wonder what the Avs do with Rantanen if he has a lack luster post season and the Avs fail to win the cup.

As it currently stands he’s had an awful regular season from an effort standpoint and while he’s still racking up the points his overall play has dropped off substantially outside of the odd game. If he can step it up in playoffs all is forgiven, but if he puts out a subpar post season I strongly wonder if CMac considers moving. Something I wouldn’t have thought before this trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad