GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Draft either in this order:

1. Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3. Iginla
4. Sennecke / Catton (tie for me)

For the love of all that is good, do NOT pick a defenseman. Please, not another year of this crap just for a boring defenseman pick.

Thank you Kent.
I would absolutely take a defenseman (Not Yalemchuk/Silayev) over Senencke and Iginla. The D crop is that good this year. They would be BPA if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
How many cups have the Habs won in the last 30 years? Which strategy have we favoured the most between a balanced team/gamebreaker players?

Matthew Tkachuk has had two 100 point seasons. Sam Reinhart scored 50 this year. Barkov is a dominant shutdown C ala Bergeron.

Colorado has MacKinnon, Raatanen, Makar

The Lightning have Stamkos, Kucherov, etc.

Pittsburgh, Crosby Malkin

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule but still. Talented players who can handle the heat of the playoffs win you cups. The Leafs get bounced every year because they have guys like Marner/Matthews who wilt and shy away from that kind of hockey and they're so top heavy on F that they have holes.
Every one of those teams won when they were able to develop 4-line quality depth. TBay were perennial contenders for 6yrs, but couldn’t win until Brisebois brought in 3rd & 4th line quality depth. Pens struggled for years with early exits until Rutherford brought in quality depth for BTB Cups

Avs have struggled since their Cup run…lack of quality depth. Once Hawks lost their quality depth (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Hjalmarason..) they were no longer successful in the playoffs despite Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook all in their prime

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We've waited 364 days for this.....a

It's a marathon not a sprint. You're telling me there's nothing to be optimistic about when comparing what we had October 2021 vs now?
I'm stoked but it has everything to do with the ulterior moves every one of which Hugo's trades have been.
As far as the draft goes I'm good with the 4 or even 5 guys that have been actively proposed.
Sure we all have our favorites but we aren't well placed to know how they actively fit in with HuGo's vision of what our team building will look like.
We only have clues.

Reactions: HabzSauce

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
That is exactly my point. Stl got lucky on a Cinderella run. What have they done since?

We were told the rebuild was to be continually competitive.
I mean you can say that about all the cup winners. Take out Florida and Vegas cause it's too early. Colorado besides one year hasn't made it out of the second round their entire window. Tampa was the exception. St Louis to your point has done nothing. Same with the capitals. Did absolutely nothing until they won. Even Pittsburg only had 2 back to back runs. 08-09 and 16-17. That's why playoff hockey is so great cause anyone can win and teams usually don't dominate for an extended period of time like in other sports

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Every one of those teams won when they were able to develop 4-line quality depth. TBay were perennial contenders for 6yrs, but couldn’t win until Brisebois brought in 3rd & 4th line quality depth. Pens struggled for years with early exits until Rutherford brought in quality depth for BTB Cups

Avs have struggled since their Cup run…lack of quality depth.
They've probably struggled a lot due to the fact that their captain and one of their best players has been out indefinitely and probably isn't coming back. The guy was a core part of their team and he's just gone and not exactly replaceable.

The 3rd/4th line argument is fine, but that's not what won them cups. They surrounded their game breaking talent with depth. It wasn't depth alone.

I understand the depth argument but if you want evidence it doesn't work literally just look at the Habs in the 2010s. Best goalie in the league, stacked defense and low scoring. We'd make it further than people expected but our lack of scoring and game breaking talent always caught up to us. Always.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

Avs have struggled since their Cup run…lack of quality depth.
Depth is important but those teams aren’t winning and would not be constant threats without top game breaking offence.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's not that far from being a safe bet. All these Ds are more #2 potential I agree, but Buuim might be the one with a slightly better risk profile.
I think he has a higher risk of not living up to his draft position than someone like Dickinson. It’s tough when you don’t have the physical tools. He has the higher upside, but it’s still an uphill battle.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They've probably struggled a lot due to the fact that their captain and one of their best players has been out indefinitely and probably isn't coming back. The guy was a core part of their team and he's just gone and not exactly replaceable.

I understand the depth argument but if you want evidence it doesn't work literally just look at the Habs in the 2010s. Best goalie in the league, stacked defense and low scoring. We'd make it further than people expected but our lack of scoring and game breaking talent always caught up to us. Always.
Least we forget Kadri was vital to that Cup Run

Also re:Habs 2010s, you proved my point, lack of quality depth. Scrubs on 3rd & 4th lines and 3rd pairing D - most were barely NHL caliber Torrey Mitchell, Flynn, Jordie Benn etc

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Michkovians, if the Habs get Demidov this year does it ease the decision to pass on Matvei for you at all? Knowing the team definitely wouldn't pick both of them.
A little bit, yes. Although I'd prefer Michkov + Buium over Demidov + Reinbacher. Not gonna lie though, it would definitely ease my pain. If they pass both, I'll get drunk, steal a Bobcat loader and demolish Centre Bell.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I mean you can say that about all the cup winners. Take out Florida and Vegas cause it's too early. Colorado besides one year hasn't made it out of the second round their entire window. Tampa was the exception. St Louis to your point has done nothing. Same with the capitals. Did absolutely nothing until they won. Even Pittsburg only had 2 back to back runs. 08-09 and 16-17. That's why playoff hockey is so great cause anyone can win and teams usually don't dominate for an extended period of time like in other sports
All those teams can’t win at the same time. But all those teams were constant threats.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm glad some of us are talking sense. Tampa and Avs were build through the draft and they hit with several stars. It's not always possible to build like this. Ask Yzerman with the Wings vs the Lightning.

I don't get it, some teams reach the finals or win the cup and fans try to downplay it. Imagine being happy you have the Leafs roster (Regular season champs) but then you hate that you have the Blues roster that ends up winning a cup. 1 cup > no cup.

There are not many teams like the Avs and Lightning. Basically some fans are saying 25 teams in the NHL need to rebuild because they have no business winning a cup and even if they earn it, it's a fluke. :laugh:

Habs are tracking to have a roster similar to the Canes. Good top end players but no top end stars. Very good depth. Canes didn't win a cup with that core yet and might not win. Does that mean we need to start our rebuild all over again?

Reactions: salbutera

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So the Isles were talking about who to draft in 1977 so the story goes and somebody is pushing to draft Bossy and somebody else says he cant play defence to which either Bill Torrey or Al Arbour says something along the lines of dont care, we will teach him how to play defence. Voila , Bossy is passed on 14 times and taken at 15th. Dinosaur thinking, defensive play way overvalued.

From my experience watching drafts there are times when a Herd mentality jumps on a negative about a player and a player falls and turns into a steal ( see Cole Caufield). So this Cole Eiserman if he skates well, is a good puckhandler and has an arsenal of terrific shots, you have to look at him.

I would ask after all the due diligence, is he uncoachable or stupid ?
If the answer to both is no, then I bet he will improve his defensive play. And while I highly value 2 way play. I was thrilled with having Kovalev on the team. So unless a guy like Senneke is still around after the top 10, then I would be looking to move up from that Peg pick and picking up this guy. I mean talking in the 3rd person is annoying as hell but if the Habs scouts think he can score 30-40 goals in the NHL and not be a complete defensive liability, then I will take that bag of nuts and deal with it.

Reactions: Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
How many cups have the Habs won in the last 30 years? Which strategy have we favoured the most between a balanced team/gamebreaker players?

Matthew Tkachuk has had two 100 point seasons. Sam Reinhart scored 50 this year. Barkov is a dominant shutdown C ala Bergeron.

Colorado has MacKinnon, Raatanen, Makar

The Lightning have Stamkos, Kucherov, etc.

Pittsburgh, Crosby Malkin

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule but still. Talented players who can handle the heat of the playoffs win you cups. The Leafs get bounced every year because they have guys like Marner/Matthews who wilt and shy away from that kind of hockey and they're so top heavy on F that they have holes.
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kane and McKinnon were top 1 or 2 OA picks and they were without any doubt garanty of being top offensive players. Habs picked the 1rst OA only once, on a strange year of covid and after it's 2 times 5 OA. The game breaker at 5 is no garanty at all. With Rein, they decided to go another way. Good or bad decision, time will tell. It's like if they decided to draft a future Larry Robinson instead of a future Steve Shutt. I'm not comparing Reinbacher to Robinson, that would be pretentious but I hope you get the idea behing that choice. A very strong D is always helpful in regular sesons and PO time. Name me a great G in PO and I can name great D in front of him. When Kings won 2 SC, their best player might have been Doughty, followed by Kopitar and Quick. When Red Wings won their 3 SC, there was a defenseman named Lidstrom. So building having in mind great defensemen is not a bad idea.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Least we forget Kadri was vital to that Cup Run

Also re:Habs 2010s, you proved my point, lack of quality depth. Scrubs on 3rd & 4th lines and 3rd pairing D - most were barely NHL caliber Torrey Mitchell, Flynn, Jordie Benn etc

Didn't Kadri "cost the Leafs the playoffs" ? Or was that F Anderson? Campbell? Or is it Marner now? Tavares? Someone is costing them the cup! :laugh:. It's the F N management that cost them a potential cup. Going 8+ years after Mathews has been drafted and their D and goaltending have actually got worse in that span. Brutal.

You need both. Very good top half and a very good bottom half. It's almost impossible to win the cup like the Pens did these days. The competition is tougher and you need a strong top 9F now with a very good top 4D and sound goaltending. That's like 80% of your roster.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So the Isles were talking about who to draft in 1977 so the story goes and somebody is pushing to draft Bossy and somebody else says he cant play defence to which either Bill Torrey or Al Arbour says something along the lines of dont care, we will teach him how to play defence. Voila , Bossy is passed on 14 times and taken at 15th. Dinosaur thinking, defensive play way overvalued.

From my experience watching drafts there are times when a Herd mentality jumps on a negative about a player and a player falls and turns into a steal ( see Cole Caufield). So this Cole Eiserman if he skates well, is a good puckhandler and has an arsenal of terrific shots, you have to look at him.

I would ask after all the due diligence, is he uncoachable or stupid ?
If the answer to both is no, then I bet he will improve his defensive play. And while I highly value 2 way play. I was thrilled with having Kovalev on the team. So unless a guy like Senneke is still around after the top 10, then I would be looking to move up from that Peg pick and picking up this guy. I mean talking in the 3rd person is annoying as hell but if the Habs scouts think he can score 30-40 goals in the NHL and not be a complete defensive liability, then I will take that bag of nuts and deal with it.
The problem with Eiserman isn’t defence. The problem is everything but shooting.

At 5 it would be a really stupid pick. But trading up from 26? That’s fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad