GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Last year at this time anyone would have been ecstatic to take Eiserman at 5 let alone in the 10-15 range where he likely goes. Has he simply not improved at all, or even regressed?

Reactions: Tyson

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I’d like to see either:
- Demidov
Or (if he’s not available),
- a trade with Calgary for 9 and their late first. Draft Helenius, Sennecke or Catton AND trade up to the top 15 using 2 late firsts (+?).

(Assumes Iggy goes to Cal)

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
You draft the best talent and you trade a guy like Nazar or another after.

Not drafting an elite talent like Demidov because you have small forwards is crazy.

Demidov is a Hawk.

Elite talent is 10x more important than size. Tampa understood that with forwards long time ago
Why not just draft an elite DMAN

People need to realize that every NHL GM will select an elite DMAN or center over an elite winger

If there's a year where elite Dmen are available, this is literally the one, you end up adding size to an undersized team and filling up an essential position with a potentially elite asset

Were lucky that we're stacked on D and can afford to go winger

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
So the reason I’m not excited about picking Demidov is the same reason I’m not excited about Cellibrini….he won’t be there.

Two things I want to hear are, “at #5 the Canadiens select” and between picks 10-12 we hear “we have a trade to announce” & the Habs get that second impact player.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Habs have a solid D pool but a below average forward pool, this has to be addressed.
Well... since I am done with rebuild and these guys better make playoffs, addressing forwards through the draft isn't going to help this season. So trades. Make trades. I hear Barron and Harris are top notch, so no problem getting some premium up front talent for them...

so true. habs need scoring on the top 2 lines. but... what I read hear on Demi, makes me think he is gone by the time the habs pick 5

then KH picks a D man. just a gut feel
Habs desperately need NHL players on bottom 2 lines. About 5 of them. Someone that can shut down, cycle, eat pucks and dish out hits and inflict pain.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Buium is creative and smart, sure. But I've watched him a lot in the NCAA this year trying to gauge his play and checking-in on other BC rookies like Perreault, Smith, and Leonard, as well as Cutter Gauthier.

From those games I watched, it clearly became apparent to me that Buium has an identifiable and exploitable pattern out there when deking from the blueline. It's almost always the same move he makes, or slight variations to it.

Every time Buium gets possession of the puck trying to challenge defenders 1-on-1 he moves his body and positions his stick and puck so as to confront the oncoming forechecker near the center of the ice, then he moves the puck backwards a bit trying to bait hesitation by the forechecker, then he moves the disk to his right to try and shield it from checking, and then tries to outskate his opponent while bracing for impact and maintaining possession, looking to either keep possession and round-out the net before dishing the puck, or using quick backhand passes to send it to teammates.

Having a go-to move is par for the course for every player, true. But Buium's overreliance on it may make his long-term transition to the NHL tougher offensively than some project when he eventually makes it to the NHL and opposing players get some more reps against him and "figure him out" if you will.

While not a true one-trick pony with the puck on his stick while he walks the blueline (which would be more true of a guy like Will Butcher), Buium'll still need to diversify his approach to trying to extend possessions from the blueline in the future.

He is certainly no Erik Karlsson manning the point, able to beat you any number of ways inside and out, with elite-level feints/quick reads. That's for damn sure.

Now, does that make Buium a bad defenseman? Absolutely not.

Buium's borderline elite in transition, smart, quite polished defensively, incredibly good at establishing and maintaining puck possession, and he has a very nice and projectable pro skillset to boot.

So yeah, I really love Buium's play, and have him as the third-best defenseman in this draft after Dickinson and Levshunov, but I genuinely think he benefited quite a bit from playing for a very high-scoring team this year in BC and that his pure offensive tools and PP QB abilities aren't as good as some public scouting sources portray.

If we don't draft him and he's still available I don't think we will have missed on a Quinn Hughes/Adam Fox/Cale Makar type though Buium's potential is obviously very high still.

As for the draft, I'd like us to draft Demidov, but if we end up with any of Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium, Silayev, Iginla, Catton, Lindstrom or Sennecke I won't be mad.
It's too bad he's such an Old Dog and can't change any little idiosyncrasy about his game.
If it's a big problem and I'm saying it's a big if what makes you think others haven't noticed those apparent tendencies?
The other prospects have as may bad and possibly even worse traits in their games.
If these guys were all finished products they'd be going first over-all.

I noticed the traits you brought up really affected his game in the NCAA and Internationally. :popcorn:

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Unless top 4 goes Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke. Then Habs are definitely drafting Levshunov.

Guhle-Levshunov
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

That would be nasty
With a number 7 that can play both sides like Harris and Hutson playing to potential, this could be the best Habs defense in 30 years.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Well... since I am done with rebuild and these guys better make playoffs, addressing forwards through the draft isn't going to help this season. So trades. Make trades. I hear Barron and Harris are top notch, so no problem getting some premium up front talent for them...

Habs desperately need NHL players on bottom 2 lines. About 5 of them. Someone that can shut down, cycle, eat pucks and dish out hits and inflict pain.
which means the guy or guys they get in the 1st round will not even make the team.
they get a D man and move up from 26 and get Senneke

if Demi/LIndstrom is gone

Reactions: The Real Timo

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I remember when Caufield and Beaulieu were not in our lists because "he'll never drop to us".

Demidov is definitely a possibility, especially considering the info we've had the past few weeks.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Say what you will about our "solid D prospects", we still haven't got any safe bet to become a first pairing D in the whole organization.

Even the management talked about Reinbacher as a "solid top-4 D" after drafting him last year.

We miss quality prospects pretty much everywhere. We're definitely not at a point where perceived "needs" should have any influence on who we end up picking.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Say what you will about our "solid D prospects", we still haven't got any safe bet to become a first pairing D in the whole organization.

Even the management talked about Reinbacher as a "solid top-4 D" after drafting him last year.

We miss quality prospects pretty much everywhere. We're definitely not at a point where perceived "needs" should have any influence on who we end up picking.
No PPG player , No 1 D , No 1 G , but fans want us to exit the rebuild...nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad