2024 NHL Draft

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
No one with skating issues. I'd rather trade the pick than pick a bad skater, and I'm pro-keeping the pick.
The skating issues are imo overblown. He's not a burner, but he has the kinds of strengths that help compensate for not being a burner. He reminds me a lot more of JVR, for example, than Dal Colle. The skill, shot, strength, reach, and willingness to go to the net hard are all there. I don't think it would take very long before he could replace Palmieri/Lee as the guy down low on the PP.

My list of the players of whom there is a decent chance will be available in order of preference:

1. Luchanko (Slight preference - his ceiling is high, but his floor is also the highest who may be available. Barring injury luck he's the player most likely to have a long career. Intelligence + athleticism is a good combination. If he were a better finisher, he'd be a top 5-10 pick.)
2. Greentree (very good size + skill combo + enthusiasm for going to the net)
3. Solberg (again, intelligence + athleticism is a great foundation)
4. Brandsegg-Nygaard
5. Hage
6. Chernyshov
7. Boisvert

I would far rather trade down than draft:
- Connelly
- Jiricek

If he falls, and there is opportunity to trade up to get Catton, NYI should explore it. I didn't think it would be possible, but just released McKenzie list has him dropping to 12th. If he drops further than that, it would be a mistake for teams that allowed it to happen, and a potential opportunity.

I would think long and hard about what to do if Eiserman happened to be available. I don't think that's going to happen, but who knows. I think he's got a much higher floor than e.g. Wahlstrom. But imo he's not nearly as creative as Phil the thrill. I wouldn't trade up for him, but I would pick him ahead of my list if he were to fall miraculously.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If he falls, and there is opportunity to trade up to get Catton, NYI should explore it. I didn't think it would be possible, but just released McKenzie list has him dropping to 12th. If he drops further than that, it would be a mistake for teams that allowed it to happen, and a potential opportunity.

I would think long and hard about what to do if Eiserman happened to be available. I don't think that's going to happen, but who knows. I think he's got a much higher floor than e.g. Wahlstrom. But imo he's not nearly as creative as Phil the thrill. I wouldn't trade up for him, but I would pick him ahead of my list if he were to fall miraculously.

People really need to think of Catton as a guy who should have a Dylan Larkin/Sebastian Aho style impact as an NHLer.

This kid is only the 4th CHLer in this century to put up this many points in his draft year and the other are currently star NHLers, thus including McDavid and Bedard.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Also Lee needs to get dealt, not Pageau. Tick tock!
Then say goodbye to the 1st + more depending on retention.

It's buy him out or keep him imo. And imo I'd wait till offseason 2025 for that because NYI will need to hold the cap space for Dobson anyway, and there's always a chance that a player like Lee could end up getting hurt, which would increase in-season flexibility.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The skating issues are imo overblown. He's not a burner, but he has the kinds of strengths that help compensate for not being a burner.
Still, I want to avoid taking players with questions about skating skill level, especially with the first round pick.

What do players like Nino, Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bellows and Wahlstrom all have in common? They all, at best, have skating as something that isn't their strength. And at worst, are terrible skaters.

I think there's enough proof in the pudding at this point that skating ability is a skillset that is of utmost importance in a draftee.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What do players like Nino, Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bellows and Wahlstrom all have in common? They all, at best, have skating as something that isn't their strength. And at worst, are terrible skaters.
Nino is not a terrible comparison for Greentree. Brock Nelson also wasn't a burner right away. Greentree is a bit like that, too - very good getting a shot off using reach. It is a risk to get caught up in a narrative, too. At any rate, if you get a player like Nino 20th overall, you've done well.

NYI aren't going to put anyone on their 4th line so that a rookie bonus will put them over the cap floor, the way they did with Nino and Bailey, hindering the development of both. Those days are over, hallelujah.

ftr, I was very against drafting Dal Colle 4th. I was worried about his lack of explosiveness. And he plays a very different game from Greentree. It isn't crazy that Greentree were to end up like Corey Perry, offensively. He plays the same sort of game, with a similar strengths, but is less of a d*****bag.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Then say goodbye to the 1st + more depending on retention.

It's buy him out or keep him imo. And imo I'd wait till offseason 2025 for that because NYI will need to hold the cap space for Dobson anyway, and there's always a chance that a player like Lee could end up getting hurt, which would increase in-season flexibility.

Two things about Lee...
- Almost amazingly, he played his best hockey since before the ACL tear over the final 10 games and the playoffs, where he was one of the few showing a daily pulse. Does this mean he's now "fully back" from everything involved with getting back on track after an ACL tear? I mean, I've had several and many operations, but I never knew a "fully back" from even the first one, so I'm wondering if he's just gotten there and we'll see THAT Lee in the coming season?
- When Tavares walked, Lee became the captain. Then the next summer, he was a UFA and the Isles openly went for his would-be replacement in Panarin, who then didn't sign. Days later he got that contract that WE all knew was gonna become pretty ugly for us, but - if honest - was for a number he was surely gonna get on the open market from someone. I simply cannot see Lou taking the step to buy him out after all that or move him in a deal where we're paying stuff to get rid of him. I can't see it.

If Lee is moved, what I think would happen is that he could go to a team closer to home or his alma mater (Notre Dame) where he'd have more of solid role as a net front presence than we've been giving him and where he'd also be expected to basically walk in and wear a letter on his chest and perhaps guide one or two of the league's upcoming superstars.

I've said several times in the past that the kind of thing I can think of is him and Mayfield being sent to Chicago for Seth Jones. This would require all pieces to be open to that move as they each have NTCs or N-MTCs.

I'm sure there are many good arguments why this kind of thing shouldn't fly.

It's just, it's the only thing I can see Lee being down with that also possibly benefits us while also being of worth and interest to the team acquiring him.

And just in case you haven't been following, Jones has been wasting away in Chicago, getting paid massive amounts to carry the blueline of a team nowhere near contention. So, there is reason to believe that he and Chicago could too be open to a move like this.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I simply cannot see Lou taking the step to buy him out after all that or move him in a deal where we're paying stuff to get rid of him. I can't see it.
This may be true for all I know.

I simply don't think it is worthwhile to pay significant assets to move Lee's contract this year. I think it makes much more sense to move JGP, because imo it would cost much less. Doesn't really matter, we agree NYI won't move Lee simply to drop him, but for different reasons.

I think it would be a mistake for Chicago to move Jones. If I were them, I'd keep him while I can afford for him to be overpaid. Who knows, they could improve a lot faster than expected.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Tankathon updated yesterday and we're back to Connelly, Kleber and Poirier. That would be a home run . . .

Hage went 18 and Greentree 19.
Chernyshov at 21, Luchanko at 22, Boisvert at 23.

Trading back looks like a big winner now if we use all 3.
We likely did that due to wanting to gain another asset but in any case it’s what we needed.

If we trade a second we improved our club today and tomorrow by still having a first and second rounder during the draft and if we keep all three out prospect pool gets a much needed injection.

If we trade two out of three I’ll be a little hurt, not gonna lie. Assuming it’s not for a Rutger McGoarty*

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're talking about whether guys like Solberg, Catton, Luchanko, etc. will be available at 20 when the Isles pick. And then I think about the trade back from 18 to 20 - not on the draft floor but a full 5 weeks before the draft. A guy like Solberg, etc. could be available at 18 but not at 20, so that makes me think they're not laser-focused on one of these guys. Of course it's possible they wanted the flexibility of having an extra pick because they figure they'll trade a 1st and/or 2nd round pick. But if that's not the reason and they think they might actually make the 1st round pick....

Maybe it was pure asset management (thinking it was worth dropping spots to get an extra 2nd round pick). And maybe they have a list of players they think will be available around 18-20 and they like them equally so they figure it didn't cost them anything (FWIW, McKenzie wrote that there's a top 20 and then a bit of a drop off). In other words, they're not focused on a particular guy and will take the BPA when they pick.

Or, maybe there's a guy they really, really like who's off the board enough that they know he'll be there at #20. This is the scenario that has me very intrigued (and maybe a little scared :laugh:).

I'm sure there are other possibilities. We'll find out (probably) in a couple of days.

Assuming it’s not for a Rutger McGoarty*
I'm just waiting for the Kakko for McGroarty trade to be announced. :shakehead

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Emery, however, is basically as sure a thing of an NHLer as you're gonna get outside of the top 10. He WILL be a Dman in this league. I would have no worries about him as a safe pick. And although he's broght very little offense to the table, it's not because he doesn't do the things right. The first outlet pass is fine, sometimes really good. And he keeps things sound and simple at the blueline. He will shoot the puck and get it to the net whenever possible.

Gotta think Pelech from an offensive standpoint, while his defensive acumen and physicall play is way up there in this class.
Emery is interesting to me. He checks a lot of boxes. The Isles don't have much/any RHD prospect depth. With his height and skating ability, he could be a beast when he fills out - seems like a future partner for one of the promising LHD prospects. And if they actually use a 1st round pick for the first time in years, there's something to be said for drafting a guy who's a pretty safe bet (as opposed to swinging and missing).

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
why a LHD? We kinda dont need a LHD. Mews makes more sense

Awww, common.

Let our Norwegian fans dream about us adding a Norwegian.

It's going to be the first time in that nation's history that a Norwegian will be going in the 1st round and now it's looking like there'll be two of them being selected. They haven't experienced an NYI-Norway connection since, well, Anders Myrvold, right?

I might be doing the same thing next year as there are currently 4 Germans who look like serious topics for the top 64 of the 2025 draft, with two possibly headed for the first round if they have the season many here think they'll have.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Emery is interesting to me. He checks a lot of boxes. The Isles don't have much/any RHD prospect depth. With his height and skating ability, he could be a beast when he fills out - seems like a future partner for one of the promising LHD prospects. And if they actually use a 1st round pick for the first time in years, there's something to be said for drafting a guy who's a pretty safe bet (as opposed to swinging and missing).

You're absolutely right in touching on these points. There would be a lot of organizational logic to adding Emery.

And that's even though the RHD side is fairly blocked (contractually speaking) in the coming years. At the moment, there's really no-one there in the organization and we're one major injury to Dobson or Pulock away from it being a concern.

When we had pick 18, I was secretly salivating over the hope that Yakemchuk could be a possible topic at that spot.

In the pipeline, Hutton is still under contract and then the next righty is <gulp> Machu.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

See if you can spot the mistake; this was posted within the last 48 hours . . .

And to think someone PAID this guy, journalism is dead.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
My last one:

McKenzie's rankings
Obviously traded down

1719509284775.png

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Awww, common.

Let our Norwegian fans dream about us adding a Norwegian.

It's going to be the first time in that nation's history that a Norwegian will be going in the 1st round and now it's looking like there'll be two of them being selected. They haven't experienced an NYI-Norway connection since, well, Anders Myrvold, right?

I might be doing the same thing next year as there are currently 4 Germans who look like serious topics for the top 64 of the 2025 draft, with two possibly headed for the first round if they have the season many here think they'll have.
I get that logic but another LHD feels very...redundant?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Likely a great move for Buffalo here, especially since it means they're feeling they can get their guy at 14 anyway.

However, can't blame SJS for using some of that draft ammunition to move up. They've already got a stacked system and are basically just moving what they got from Detroit a couple of days ago.

1719525567257.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad