here

LOL, here's additional info:

1719229993809.png

1719230030049.png

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm in Germany caught right in the midst of all the European Cup action and hoopla.

I can't leave the front door without soccer-related celebrations and jersey-wearing visitors from places across the continent immediately crossing my path. Heck, games have been taking place at the stadium not even 10 minutes away from my humble abode every other day.

Can just picnic in the neighboring park with 100s of others and basically take it all in.

So, uhh, what's y'all's excuse for this forum being so doggone quiet four days away from the draft???

Common' people, start making some predictions or something here...

We currently have 6(!) picks. SIX!!!

That's like 20% more than usual.

Let's get this party rocking!
I’m expecting the Islanders to trade 2-3 of those 6 picks. What’s the point in guessing who they are going to take in the third round with their first pick?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I'm in Germany caught right in the midst of all the European Cup action and hoopla.

I can't leave the front door without soccer-related celebrations and jersey-wearing visitors from places across the continent immediately crossing my path. Heck, games have been taking place at the stadium not even 10 minutes away from my humble abode every other day.

Can just picnic in the neighboring park with 100s of others and basically take it all in.

So, uhh, what's y'all's excuse for this forum being so doggone quiet four days away from the draft???

Lucky you wish I was in Germany! A buddy of mine is there with his son and he tells the atmosphere at these games are insane.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

I keep thinking about Raty who was a potential top 5 pick a year or two before the draft and then Lou/Kautonen took him in the 2nd round. This year we have Kiviharju who similarly dropped in his draft year. Potential deja vu?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
@Chapin Landvogt
Tankathon now has us with Greentree, Kleber and Simon Zether (Swiss)
Any info on Zether? Big center.

Actually, Zether is Swedish, but he's a very interesting case.

He's already a really big righty shot center. He played 42 regular season SHL games and then all 15 playoff games. Only had 5 points and was on lower lines.

However, 3 years ago he was kind of looked at as a probable first rounder in this draft.

And last season, he was already scoring at over a PPG pace in Sweden's U20 league. That was in his DY-1.

This season, he already had more goals in that league in 18 games than he had in 38 the season before, and 27 points in those 18 games before getting called up.

He never looked back, but just never had more than the standard lower line rookie role. Rather logically.

I can't really see anything in his game that goe "Boom!", but he looked like a man among boys in the junior circuit and then played very adequately in a checking line role in the SHL.

So, what does that mean for him?

I saw him in a U19 friendly against Germany this winter. SWE won 11-0. He walked all over them. Only had 3 points, but they were of the "you can't touch me" variety. Just did what he wanted out there.

Honestly, I see shades of Yashin. I mean, stylewise. Tall, slender, holds the stick the same way. Doesn't blow anyone away with speed but is articulate with the puck. Already 6'3" and should easily be around 205 lbs. when he's grown into his man body.

Can totally see him being a guy Kautonen knows all about and could target. Dunno if it'd be in Round 2 though?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I keep thinking about Raty who was a potential top 5 pick a year or two before the draft and then Lou/Kautonen took him in the 2nd round. This year we have Kiviharju who similarly dropped in his draft year. Potential deja vu?

The problem with Kiviharju is threefold.

One, he missed a great majority of this past season to injury. Looked nice as a blueliner at the U18s, but folks didn't get to see him much this year.

Two, he's not only small but now has that long-term injury in him, further questioning what was already a questionable durability from the prior season.

Three, he's not an exceptional skater.

I definitely think he's a player who has slipped out of the first round. I have little doubt, in fact.

I'd be very surprised to see a team chance it on until day two and even then, maybe depending on how many picks a team has.

Several teams have like 5+ picks before the 3rd round. I'd expect him to go to one of them.

This guy isn't a homerun swing, so to speak. Everyone knows what he brings, but how limited those skills will be at higher levels.

This said, it's thoroughly possible that he explodes in the next two seasons playing pro in Finland. That will depend on physical development and physical health. But there's been little reason shown to think that's gonna happen.

Reactions: saintunspecified

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
The problem with Kiviharju is threefold.

One, he missed a great majority of this past season to injury. Looked nice as a blueliner at the U18s, but folks didn't get to see him much this year.

Two, he's not only small but now has that long-term injury in him, further questioning what was already a questionable durability from the prior season.

Three, he's not an exceptional skater.

I definitely think he's a player who has slipped out of the first round. I have little doubt, in fact.

I'd be very surprised to see a team chance it on until day two and even then, maybe depending on how many picks a team has.

Several teams have like 5+ picks before the 3rd round. I'd expect him to go to one of them.

This guy isn't a homerun swing, so to speak. Everyone knows what he brings, but how limited those skills will be at higher levels.

This said, it's thoroughly possible that he explodes in the next two seasons playing pro in Finland. That will depend on physical development and physical health. But there's been little reason shown to think that's gonna happen.
Thanks for all of that. I'll point out that Raty went 52nd, and the Isles have picks 50 and 54. So by "deja vu", it could be one of the Isles 2nds (if they keep them). And except for the injury part, I wonder how much of what you typed would have applied to Adam Fox in his draft year? Kiviharju's injury was a dislocated kneecap if I recall correctly. Are there long term concerns with that injury?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Everything I read about him makes him sound like Thomas Hickey, but as you say, with injuries.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Thanks for all of that. I'll point out that Raty went 52nd, and the Isles have picks 50 and 54. So by "deja vu", it could be one of the Isles 2nds (if they keep them). And except for the injury part, I wonder how much of what you typed would have applied to Adam Fox in his draft year? Kiviharju's injury was a dislocated kneecap if I recall correctly. Are there long term concerns with that injury?
Isles have 54 & 61. 50 went to Chicago in the trade.

Reactions: doublechili

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
For all of Lou's faults he has done pretty well in the value of trades. I do not see the value of Ehlers as that much. The Islanders would still need to find a way to move out the Pageau contract as well. I do believe Ehlers will take the next step with his next team if he can stay healthy.

He put up 61 points averaging under 16 minutes per game and I believe less than 10 PP points.

Last edited:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Isles have 54 & 61. 50 went to Chicago in the trade.
Thanks - I mis-read CapFriendly. I won't have to worry about that in a week or so!

BTW, Bob McKenzie came out with his final draft list today and coincidentally has Kiviharju at #52, exactly where Raty went. :)

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
On the off chance we actually use our first round pick, I think Greentree, Chernyshov, and Surin are interesting players that might be there...one of them should be at least.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Some kid on Twitter states his source is a good source, and claims Lou is hot and heavy after Ehlers, and we may move #20 and a 2nd round pick for him.

I like Ehlers, but I wouldn’t give up a 1st and a 2nd for him. Might do a 1st, or a 2nd + (2nd round next year). Or it might take both 2nds instead of a 1st and 2nd.

He’s a good to very good player, but not a GREAT player. He’s never scored 30 goals, and has scored 60+ points only twice I believe.
Winnipeg barely plays him more than 15 minutes a game, and if they take both 2nds its fine.

I dont trust the source entirely but I want to believe. Islanders could really use another top 6 player and I say that in honesty.

Also Lee needs to get dealt, not Pageau. Tick tock!

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Considering we traded back to the #20 pick, this is interesting from McKenzie's rankings article today:

"It seems there’s a divide of sorts between the top 20 on TSN’s list and the next group of as many 20-plus prospects. Famous last words, but it would be shocking if the first 20 on our list aren’t surefire first-rounders. Beyond that, though, the prospects ranked 21-32 would appear to be somewhat interchangeable with those ranked 33 to 50."

McKenzie's rankings are the best. For example, Sennecke is at #11, and the scouts surveyed rank him as high as #5 and no lower than #14, and he's got momentum. In other words, he's not going to be there when we pick. McKenzie has Luchanko at #19 but says there's talk he could be a riser on draft day. McKenzie has Stian Solberg in our slot at #20, but he has lots of momentum too (rising 25 spots from the mid-season ranking) and could go earlier. Maybe the Isles take Connelly if he's there because "we had to".

If we actually pick at #20, I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a RHD. With all the talented D in this draft, you can probably get a bargain on a less spectacular big guy who has some filling out to do, like say Jiricek or Emery (both very good skaters).

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Someone on the main boards made this list of risers from McKenzie's mid-season ranking to the final one today - interesting, so I'll paste it here:

Marek Vanacker from 47 to 28
Jett Luchanko from 26 to 19
Beckett Sennecke from 19 to 11
Zeev Buium from 13 to 7
Dominik Badinka from 42 to 29
Michael Hage from 36 to 24
EJ Emery from 39 to 27
Sam O'Reilly from 46 to 32
Stian Solberg from 45 to 20
Linus Eriksson from 65 to 44
Teddy Stiga from 68 to 43
Adam Kleber from HM (outside top 80) to 51
Jacob Battaglia from unranked (outside top 100) to 57
Collin Ralph from unranked to 63
Harrison Brunick from unranked to 61

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
"It seems there’s a divide of sorts between the top 20 on TSN’s list and the next group of as many 20-plus prospects. Famous last words, but it would be shocking if the first 20 on our list aren’t surefire first-rounders. Beyond that, though, the prospects ranked 21-32 would appear to be somewhat interchangeable with those ranked 33 to 50."

McKenzie's rankings are the best. For example, Sennecke is at #11, and the scouts surveyed rank him as high as #5 and no lower than #14, and he's got momentum. In other words, he's not going to be there when we pick. McKenzie has Luchanko at #19 but says there's talk he could be a riser on draft day. McKenzie has Stian Solberg in our slot at #20, but he has lots of momentum too (rising 25 spots from the mid-season ranking) and could go earlier. Maybe the Isles take Connelly if he's there because "we had to".

Solberg played in the Norwegian league this year. Most kids from Norway with his profile are in Sweden by this time, but he stayed home.

A strong playoff run combined with decent WJC performance had him looking like a nice 2nd-3rd rounder for someone. What has propelled him was not only the nomination to the men's team for the WC, but some wonderful play there (including lots of freshman mistakes, but Norway had the youngest team in like forever there and he was facing competition he's never faced). In addition, THIS is basically unheard of for an 18-year-old playing for any nation:
1719393067889.png

This all means that a lot of people are late to the party on Solberg, and thus the rise.

My opinion: I've been watching him for several years. He's at least a poor man's Moritz Seider.

As for Luchanko, he's looking like a very worthy pick in that 17-23 range, which wasn't the case before the U18 Worlds, where I thought he was real good. He was good all season, but he showed just how sly and smart he is in Finland.

But Beaudoin was REALLY good there too. He was a workhorse and just shuts people down. Takes them out of commission.

However, if these are the types of guys you want to add, then you've gotta ask yourself if you can't just go for the overager version of Luchanko later in the draft (Romani) and the "better" Beaudoin, namely Riley Patterson, who actually played on the very same Barrie Colts team and takes fewer penalties while being thought of as ready to explode offensively?

If we actually pick at #20, I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a RHD. With all the talented D in this draft, you can probably get a bargain on a less spectacular big guy who has some filling out to do, like say Jiricek or Emery (both very good skaters).

For the NYI, I'm gonna say that taking Jiricek is far too risky. We've had far too few picks and swings to take a chance on a player - who's skillset is at times breathtaking - who has had his share of physical problems, inability to rise to the occasion in meaningful games, and is THIS underdeveloped physically.

He also missed too much of this past season to have the kind of read on him to use your one 1st rounder in 5 years on him (should the pick not be traded).

Emery, however, is basically as sure a thing of an NHLer as you're gonna get outside of the top 10. He WILL be a Dman in this league. I would have no worries about him as a safe pick. And although he's broght very little offense to the table, it's not because he doesn't do the things right. The first outlet pass is fine, sometimes really good. And he keeps things sound and simple at the blueline. He will shoot the puck and get it to the net whenever possible.

Gotta think Pelech from an offensive standpoint, while his defensive acumen and physicall play is way up there in this class.

Are there more like him later in this draft???

Yes. Maybe not as good YET, but with his profile.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Tankathon updated yesterday and we're back to Connelly, Kleber and Poirier. That would be a home run . . .

Hage went 18 and Greentree 19.
Chernyshov at 21, Luchanko at 22, Boisvert at 23.

Trading back looks like a big winner now if we use all 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad