2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
You're absolutely right in touching on these points. There would be a lot of organizational logic to adding Emery.

And that's even though the RHD side is fairly blocked (contractually speaking) in the coming years. At the moment, there's really no-one there in the organization and we're one major injury to Dobson or Pulock away from it being a concern.

When we had pick 18, I was secretly salivating over the hope that Yakemchuk could be a possible topic at that spot.

In the pipeline, Hutton is still under contract and then the next righty is <gulp> Machu.
Could be better than several taken ahead of him.

I think Hage is a guy I would like to have but Luchanko seems like an player this org would value higher.

Where does Sennecke go? Something about him this year.

Don't recall a Chapin review of Miettinin, Is there one?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Still, I want to avoid taking players with questions about skating skill level, especially with the first round pick.

What do players like Nino, Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bellows and Wahlstrom all have in common? They all, at best, have skating as something that isn't their strength. And at worst, are terrible skaters.

I think there's enough proof in the pudding at this point that skating ability is a skillset that is of utmost importance in a draftee.
Agree. Especially because, as a team, skating/speed is where the Isles are sorely lacking. The draft is truly a crap shoot. See Dal Colle/Barzal. Might as well take a chance on a known skating skill, rather than wagering on someone becoming a top scorer (Wahlstrom), or a 200' player. I'd take a risk on Connelly over Greentree.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Agree. Especially because, as a team, skating/speed is where the Isles are sorely lacking. The draft is truly a crap shoot. See Dal Colle/Barzal. Might as well take a chance on a known skating skill, rather than wagering on someone becoming a top scorer (Wahlstrom), or a 200' player. I'd take a risk on Connelly over Greentree.
I agree with drafting a strong skater, but after reading the Athletic's piece on Connelly, I'd pass.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Could be better than several taken ahead of him.

I think Hage is a guy I would like to have but Luchanko seems like an player this org would value higher.

Where does Sennecke go? Something about him this year.

Don't recall a Chapin review of Miettinin, Is there one?

Well, he took a while to adjust to play in the WHL. Ultimately got better as the season wore on.

On the one hand, he likes to shoot and pass quickly. On the other, he's just not the most mobile.

He has power forward attributes, but a thinking man's tendencies. He can go from the perimeter to the slot real well.

He's one of the harder prospects to read.

One thing counting against him is that Finland left him off the U18 squad.

Sounds like it might have been his choice though. He was eligible.

Has had consistency issues but there really isn't a whole lot speaking against him one day becoming an NHLer. It's more about the upside once he gets there.

Do you use a 1st rounder on that?

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Well, he took a while to adjust to play in the WHL. Ultimately got better as the season wore on.

On the one hand, he likes to shoot and pass quickly. On the other, he's just not the most mobile.

He has power forward attributes, but a thinking man's tendencies. He can go from the perimeter to the slot real well.

He's one of the harder prospects to read.

One thing counting against him is that Finland left him off the U18 squad.

Sounds like it might have been his choice though. He was eligible.

Has had consistency issues but there really isn't a whole lot speaking against him one day becoming an NHLer. It's more about the upside once he gets there.

Do you use a 1st rounder on that?
He should slide, I would guess, to 40-50. That is unless the size is something that moves him up.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, in the possibly unlikely event the Isles actually use the 1st round pick, I'll go on the record with who I want them to take (out of realistic options - now if someone slides back.....).

I'll go with EJ Emery. He's a very good skater and supposedly has excellent defensive awareness/sense. Not that I put a lot of stock in Button, but he scores Emery a 5/5 for competitiveness, FWIW. Emery's father was a professional athlete too, so I'm thinking he's going to put the work in to continue developing. He's 6'3 1/4 and 183lbs and apparently a great athlete. What will he be like when he weighs 210? And the RHD cupboard is basically bare in the pipeline.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Who do you guys think the Isles draft tonight? I’ve not been following the discussion
Boisvert, Greentree, Hage, or Luchanko seem most likely because some (not all) will be available, they fit NYI needs, and whoever is left will arguably be the BPA. The wildcards are Stollberg (I think he's gone before 20), Connelly (huge risk drafting him on LI), Jiricek (LL drafted Holmstrom despite draft year injury). I wouldn't bet on a particular player, but I'd bet it'd be one of the four forwards.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
My would love to see drafted but likely out of range tier:
Helenius
Brandsegg-Nygard
Solberg
Connolly

Realistic picks:
Emery
Surin

Reach:
Freij
Of the guys typically listed in the top 10 or so who might drop, I'd say Helenius might stand the best chance. It's unlikely but not impossible that he drops to 20.

You listed Freij as a "reach". Which, considering the Isles dropped down 2 slots to get an extra pick, might mean that Freij is the guy they want! ;)

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Of the guys typically listed in the top 10 or so who might drop, I'd say Helenius might stand the best chance. It's unlikely but not impossible that he drops to 20.

You listed Freij as a "reach". Which, considering the Isles dropped down 2 slots to get an extra pick, might mean that Freij is the guy they want! ;)
We also have two second round picks. Could potentially trade up to 15-19 depending on who drops.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Nazem Kadri is supposedly drawing interest from other teams, per Dreger anyway. He's 33 years old and has 5 years left at $7M per year. (so, he's basically Brock Nelson if the Isles extend him for 4 years). Not sure what that means, other than maybe Dreger doing a favor for CGY by manufacturing interest/competition?

[oops, wrong thread - unless we trade the 1st pick for Kadri!]

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I agree with drafting a strong skater, but after reading the Athletic's piece on Connelly, I'd pass.
Understandable. That's certainly one (negative) side of the story. I've read a few others (positive). He's just a kid. When I think of Wahlstrom, Bellows, etc., how much worse can high risk-high reward be? Nonetheless, whoever they pick, I hope it turns out great for us. I'm tired of crying a few years post-draft.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Whoever we draft I hope they are good skaters and good hockey IQ. I haven't read up on this draft much, but it seems most players from 20-40 are pretty much interchangeable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
These are some of the guys I like and am intrigued by

Draft targets

Forwards.

Micheal Brandsegg-Nygard- W unlikely he drops to 20

Michael Hage C- potential pick at 20

Sacha Boisvert C- potential pick at 20

Jett Luchanko C/W- potential pick at 20

Sam O'Reilly C/W

Julius Miettinen C

Yegor Surin C/W

Igor Chernyshov W

John Mustard W

Terik Parascak W

Luke Misa C

Kevin He W

Matvei Gridin W

Lucas Pettersson C

Kamil Bednarik C

Logan Sawyer W

Raoul Boilard C

AJ Spellacy W

Defense

Stian Solberg LD - unlikely he’s available at 20

EJ Emery RD.

Jesse Pulkkinenn LD. Overeager that could be a first round pick.

Will Skahan LD

Tarin Smith LD (sleeper)

Colin Ralph LD. (Sleeper)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With the event quickly approaching... some last pick-related thoughts...

Fairly realistic 1st and 2nd round players my gut tells me the Isles are likely very interested in for this draft (in no particular order):
Helenius, Connelly, Yakemchuk, Beaudoin, Emery, Vanacker, Luchanko, Parascak, Pulkkinen, Freij, Hemming, O’Reilly, Kleber, Poirier, Pettersson, Miettinen, Howe, Fischer, Spellacy, Montgomery, Wallenius, Eriksson, Skahan, Ralph, Osborn, Pitner, Zether, and Bednarik.

Predictive thought 1:
If the Islanders should use their first rounder on someone widely not considered a first rounder, my bet is that it is used on either Pulkkinen, Vanacker, or O’Reilly.

Predictive thought 2:
If Helenius is on the board when Chicago is up to bat at 18, I predict that we move back down to 18 and return their 2nd to them so as to select Helenius.

Players I can see the scouting staff being interested for their 4th and 5th picks:
Ruohonen, Traff, both Marrellis, Fernstrom, V. Lindberg, Romani, Nabokov, Patterson, Boilard, Yegorov, Pridham, Gidlof, Wetsch, Burrows, Misskey, McMorrow, V Vaisanen, Zetterberg, Zeller, Ellinas, Hynninen, Jokinen, Pikkarainen, Berglund, Vuollet, Park, Soini, Pilgrim, Eliasson, Puolanne, Mrsic, Muhonen, Loponen, Burnevik, and Melovsky.

They’ll use their last pick on someone no-one really knows, who is likely an overager. My stab at who they might consider there:
Hedqvist, Sjodin, Kiukas, Lassila, Rautiainen, Young, Koskipirtti, Fransson, Huovila, J. Svensson, Varga, Loke Johansson, Ahonen, J Vaisanen, Vuontisvaara, Nordmark, Kumpula, Tuhkala, Kirsch, Nykyri, Naukkarinen

PS) Bolded names are for those who I feel the scouting staff likely loves.

Reactions: leeroggy

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
This ESPN team is looking very disappointing!

It’s a shame in the states here it’s not being carried on NHL network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad