2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
list of 100 point players the sharks have drafted:

list of ryan nugent hopkins:

ryan nugent hopkins

im just kidding, but our drafting does suck.
I don't really want to draft someone who's gonna take 12 years in the NHL before finally showing his value as a first overall pick.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
because I desperately want them to leapfrog other teams into #1 more than I want them to "earn" the #1 pick
I disagree with this. That means we waste 1 of our 2 lottery wins that every team gets in a 5 year span. If we're dead last and draft 1st it doesn't count as a win...there for we're still eligible to "win" at least 2 more.

If Chicago finishes 2nd last but wins the lottery this year, they're ineligible to draft 1st for the next few seasons unless they finish dead last. Which would be sad anyway after drafting 1st overall back to back.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I disagree with this. That means we waste 1 of our 2 lottery wins that every team gets in a 5 year span. If we're dead last and draft 1st it doesn't count as a win...there for we're still eligible to "win" at least 2 more.

If Chicago finishes 2nd last but wins the lottery this year, they're ineligible to draft 1st for the next few seasons unless they finish dead last. Which would be sad anyway after drafting 1st overall back to back.
A perfect scenario is that the Sharks are last in the standings and get #1 overall and the Blackhawks finish 3rd worst and get #2 overall making them ineligible to move up for the 25 draft. Then it would improve the Sharks odds for getting 1st overall in 25.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
A perfect scenario is that the Sharks are last in the standings and get #1 overall and the Blackhawks finish 3rd worst and get #2 overall making them ineligible to move up for the 25 draft. Then it would improve the Sharks odds for getting 1st overall in 25.
And we draft:

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

i cannot comprehend a universe where the Sharks win the draft lottery twice in a 5 year span... or even twice in a 500 year span

Chicago on the other hand...

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
For me, I wanna go on record as saying if we don’t get first OA, getting the 2nd or 3rd OA still builds toward an elite roster. The importance of that second 1st rd pick means so much more. We may not get Celebrini but walking out of the 1st rd with Levshunov and Iginla or Lindstrom and Parekh would still feel like a win for the organization.

i cannot comprehend a universe where the Sharks win the draft lottery twice in a 5 year span... or even twice in a 500 year span

Chicago on the other hand...
The league would make a 1 time exception for Chi, Pitt or Edm. I’m convinced of this.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If Pitts struggles, trades Guentzel and finishes tenth worst, would you rather they opt to give up that pick or would you rather wait til next year assuming they’ll be worse?

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
If Pitts struggles, trades Guentzel and finishes tenth worst, would you rather they opt to give up that pick or would you rather wait til next year assuming they’ll be worse?
Pittsburgh is a point back of the playoffs with at least two games in hand of the teams above them. Maybe at this point we should be more worried about them going on a Florida type playoff run than whether or not the pick ends up being top 10?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Pittsburgh is a point back of the playoffs with at least two games in hand of the teams above them. Maybe at this point we should be more worried about them going on a Florida type playoff run than whether or not the pick ends up being top 10?
A lot of what they do is contingent on how they treat Jake Guentzel. Can they afford to lose him for nothing? He’s almost certainly not re-signing with Pittsburgh. If they decide to trade him then I can certainly see the wheels falling off.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If only but it's the Hawks. They'll finish dead last and won't have that second strike against them.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
So the rules say win the lottery twice in a five year span, but in order to pick first you still have to win the lottery, right? So even finishing dead last and getting the first pick is a lottery win, even tho there was no movement?

Can't pick first if you don't win the lottery...? It feels like the first part of that run-on sentence is a separate clause than the "teams will only be allowed to win the lottery twice in a five year period"

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
So the rules say win the lottery twice in a five year span, but in order to pick first you still have to win the lottery, right? So even finishing dead last and getting the first pick is a lottery win, even tho there was no movement?

Can't pick first if you don't win the lottery...? It feels like the first part of that run-on sentence is a separate clause than the "teams will only be allowed to win the lottery twice in a five year period"
IIRC it's if you move spots, i.e. going from 2nd to 1st. If you're already 1st and win, it doesn't count toward the two.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
IIRC it's if you move spots, i.e. going from 2nd to 1st. If you're already 1st and win, it doesn't count toward the two.
Thx, I wasn't sure about the win while dead last part, aside from the dead last team still has to win the lotto to pick first.

But, it kinda makes sense the other way too, no? Finish dead last 5 years in a row and the team is obviously tanking... Seems like those teams shouldn't be able to pick first for all five years. (assuming the odds fall in their favor on the lotto balls all five years)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Thx, I wasn't sure about the win while dead last part, aside from the dead last team still has to win the lotto to pick first.

But, it kinda makes sense the other way too, no? Finish dead last 5 years in a row and the team is obviously tanking... Seems like those teams shouldn't be able to pick first for all five years. (assuming the odds fall in their favor on the lotto balls all five years)
I mean, what would make sense is getting rid of the lottery entirely, but that's the NHL for you

Reactions: Cas

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

Like somebody said earlier it's moving up, but it is also possible to pick 1st without winning the lottery. Teams are only able to move up a max of 10 spots so if the teams that finish 12-16 win the lottery than the last place team gets the 1st overall pick. It's a big reason why being last is so important, since you are basically getting a free 7% chance to pick 1st.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I mean, what would make sense is getting rid of the lottery entirely, but that's the NHL for you
I dont think so, the only way to do that is to make sure everyone's schedule is "even" and they can't be.

The lottery should honestly just be the last place teams in each division get an equal chance at #1. You can't get #1 if you are not last place in the division.

After that, let it fall by points or win %

Reactions: landshark

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I get that, but isn't the lotto and the rule about winning twice in five years there to stop teams from purposefully tanking?
Are teams not purposefully tanking now?

1. Tanking isn't a bad thing, it's necessary in a cap league
2. Teams being bad for long periods of time isn't good for ownership anyway, that's motivation enough to get out of the basement as soon as possible
3. The NFL (aka the most successful league in the US) has done reverse standings drafts and I've never heard a single person complain about it because it's not an issue, the NHL just loves to pretend they're smart and makes up problems to make convoluted "solutions" to

Reactions: Cas

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
A lot of what they do is contingent on how they treat Jake Guentzel. Can they afford to lose him for nothing? He’s almost certainly not re-signing with Pittsburgh. If they decide to trade him then I can certainly see the wheels falling off.
I could see them pulling a DW-2013 "trade out Clowe, bring in Torres." Sell high on Guentzel without necessarily throwing in the towel by acquiring someone like Duclair (if he were playing better) on the cheap. DW is also an advisor for the Pens, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad