2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In interviews there is something called the anchoring effect, it's where the interviewer will latch onto something completely irrelevant and subconsciously makes their entire judgement about the person based on this irrelevant characteristic.

So Levshunov might be one of the best defensive prospects in recent history, but you don't like him because he skates with a bit of the Lucic hunchback.
I think Levshunov’s skating and puck skills are pretty relevant to his status as a prospect.

I know he had a season ending injury but is he really expected to fall that far? I was hoping to land him with the Pittsburgh pick.
I think he’s likely to be there at the Pittsburgh pick. He was a guy who had stuff to prove at the WJC and instead he got hurt for the rest of the season. Someone might take him early because of brother David, but he hasn’t earned a top-15 selection.

Reactions: Gecklund

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If one of Anaheim, Ottawa, or Buffalo gets a top 5 pick, which is likely, do we have anything they would want in exchange?

Like the PIT 1st ++

My thought is that those teams don't need any more prospects, they need good vets.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Levshunov + another top dman falling to us at the Pitt pick wouldn't be terrible. Odds one of the two turn into a top pairing guy (please)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If one of Anaheim, Ottawa, or Buffalo gets a top 5 pick, which is likely, do we have anything they would want in exchange?

Like the PIT 1st ++

My thought is that those teams don't need any more prospects, they need good vets.
I doubt any of them trade out of the top-5. Debrincat went for 7th overall on draft day 2 years ago. I don't think we have anyone with similar value (or higher to get into top-5 in this scenario)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I doubt any of them trade out of the top-5. Debrincat went for 7th overall on draft day 2 years ago. I don't think we have anyone with similar value (or higher to get into top-5 in this scenario)
If, say 4 thru 11 or 12 are so tight, I can see someone willing to trade back if they have no real preferences.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed, we simply can't draft a winger. Look at what happened to Benson last year though, there's a legit world where Catton is available if the PIT pick is say 11-13.

Off the top of my head:
Celebrini

Levshunov/Lindstrom

Dickinson/Buium/Eiserman/Demidov/Silayev

Helenius/Parekh/Catton/Yakemchuk/Connelly/Iginla/Jiricek/Brandsegg-Nygard

Those are the tiers I see GMs looking at it, based on past drafts and rankings we have, and are the guys I've seen most consistently in the top-15ish. If any teams reaches for a D like Jiricek, Yakemchuk or Parekh or a bigger forward like Brandsegg-Nygard then we could easily get a scoring winger like Catton or Helenius in the early teens.
That's something that I vehemently disagree with. It's better to arrive ready than early, and you're committing a lot by taking a center, where a defenseman or winger is less committal but still provides great value.

Demidov and Eiserman both do something unique which raises the ceiling of the team if you aren't taking a defenseman. I'd have more confidence in Lindstrom if he spent more time at wing, you're betting too much on a steep development curve of a player dealing with injuries, questionable hockey iq, and a great situation in juniors.

The main worry about Lindstrom is he just seems like a worse version of prospects other teams had success with, like taking him to compete with Carlsson seem like a flawed idea but one a team might support.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't see how the Debrincat trade is relevant here. That was an established star for a bundle of picks, including 7th overall. This would be trading down to get an impact veteran.

I also just don't know what value a top-5 pick has to teams scrambling to get out of rebuild mode. Like, Buffalo and Anaheim don't need another top-4 D or mid-6 forward a few years down the line, and considering this is a weak draft, moving down from 5 to 11-16 (or whatever the Pens pick ends up as) should be insignificant to them while getting a quality vet will be.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
New Jersey has been so disappointing this season that I kinda hope they win the lottery again this year. Gimme that unprotected 2025 pick.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
New Jersey has been so disappointing this season that I kinda hope they win the lottery again this year. Gimme that unprotected 2025 pick.
We don't get a lottery pick from New Jersey - we get a 2024 2nd unless they reach the conference finals (in which case we get an obviously late 2024 1st).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Groo

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't see how the Debrincat trade is relevant here. That was an established star for a bundle of picks, including 7th overall. This would be trading down to get an impact veteran.

I also just don't know what value a top-5 pick has to teams scrambling to get out of rebuild mode. Like, Buffalo and Anaheim don't need another top-4 D or mid-6 forward a few years down the line, and considering this is a weak draft, moving down from 5 to 11-16 (or whatever the Pens pick ends up as) should be insignificant to them while getting a quality vet will be.
I was just referencing the Debrincat trade to show the value of top-10 picks. Again, I just don't see what player we can package with the PIT pick to trade up. Has a pick+veteran trade ever happened before? I can't think of one.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
That's something that I vehemently disagree with. It's better to arrive ready than early, and you're committing a lot by taking a center, where a defenseman or winger is less committal but still provides great value.

Demidov and Eiserman both do something unique which raises the ceiling of the team if you aren't taking a defenseman. I'd have more confidence in Lindstrom if he spent more time at wing, you're betting too much on a steep development curve of a player dealing with injuries, questionable hockey iq, and a great situation in juniors.

The main worry about Lindstrom is he just seems like a worse version of prospects other teams had success with, like taking him to compete with Carlsson seem like a flawed idea but one a team might support.
My thing with taking a winger is that
a) we already have with alot of our high picks in recent years
b) winning teams are more built down the middle and on the blue line

I'm not sold on Lindstrom either, but I think he's a project that would be great if he works out. When you factor we're almost guaranteed to draft top-4 I'm really only looking at guys who should go in that range. Is Eiserman the next Cole Caufield (but a little bigger)? If so, that's a great add to the team, but I don't want that with a top-4 pick. It kinda sucks this draft is weaker without having a set guy at 2nd or 3rd overall, but I'm taking the swing on someone like Levshunov or Lindstrom before Eiserman or Demidov.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We don't get a lottery pick from New Jersey - we get a 2024 2nd unless they reach the conference finals (in which case we get an obviously late 2024 1st).
Right now it's at pick 45 which is a solid pick if they miss the playoffs altogether. Best case scenario is them getting to the ECF and it's pick 29. Them missing the playoffs is the next best scenario.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
My thing with taking a winger is that
a) we already have with alot of our high picks in recent years
b) winning teams are more built down the middle and on the blue line

I'm not sold on Lindstrom either, but I think he's a project that would be great if he works out. When you factor we're almost guaranteed to draft top-4 I'm really only looking at guys who should go in that range. Is Eiserman the next Cole Caufield (but a little bigger)? If so, that's a great add to the team, but I don't want that with a top-4 pick. It kinda sucks this draft is weaker without having a set guy at 2nd or 3rd overall, but I'm taking the swing on someone like Levshunov or Lindstrom before Eiserman or Demidov.
A) Not any who are safer bets to be truly special, most great teams have special wingers or players who can also play wing.
B) Somewhat but so are losing teams

The defensemen are a much more difficult conversation due to them all being very boom/bust, but what matters is if they work. I don't see much value in forcing yourself to pick a defenseman for positional value but they're easier to hide than the centers.

Teams being built from the center out are why I don't like Lindstrom (or someone like Catton) in the top 3. I just struggle to see them winning matchups against the elite centers currently in the league, or in their age bracket, particularly if we have less investment in wingers than the other teams.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I have a Question about the New Jersey pick, If Jersey finishes fairly low and makes the Conference finals, would that reseed where they pick or is that just with the finals for those two or even just the Stanely Cup winner getting the last pick in the draft?
If they finish last in the standings to make the playoffs, but make it to the conference finals and then fall out that series they would be the 28th pick. Playoff drafting placement all has to do with where the teams ranked during the regular season (worst seed better pick each round.)

So scenario if jersey finishes 3rd in the regular season, makes it to the conference finals but lose and the other team that loses in the conference finals finished 5th. Jersey would get the 29th.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they finish last in the standings to make the playoffs, but make it to the conference finals and then fall out that series they would be the 28th pick. Playoff drafting placement all has to do with where the teams ranked during the regular season (worst seed better pick each round.)

So scenario if jersey finishes 3rd in the regular season, makes it to the conference finals but lose and the other team that loses in the conference finals finished 5th. Jersey would get the 29th.
Yes but 29th not 28th. Cup winner picks 32nd. Cup Finalist picks 31st. Two losers in conference finals pick 30th and 29th. The rest of the playoff teams depend on their regular season standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad