2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Celebrini
Levshunov/Dickinson/Lindstrom/Catton/Demidov
Silayev/Eiserman/Buium/Parekh/Helenius
Yakemchuk/Brandsegg-Nygaard/Connolly/Jiricek

If we could get someone from this top-15 with the Pens pick, I’d be thrilled.
Totally. I don't think it's possible, but Yakemchuk with PIT pick is my dream. He seems like the only top D in that list who may slide. Feels like Buium and Parekh will be gone. Jiricek feels like a big risk at 10-15 but maybe he's this year's Musty who slides too far.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Totally. I don't think it's possible, but Yakemchuk with PIT pick is my dream. He seems like the only top D in that list who may slide. Feels like Buium and Parekh will be gone. Jiricek feels like a big risk at 10-15 but maybe he's this year's Musty who slides too far.
Yup, Jiricek is my least preferred of that group. They’re tiers but they’re also in approximately the order I’d like them.

Basically, we just need Pittsburgh to not make the playoffs and we’re guaranteed someone I want.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
I think @Desert Eagle posted a podcast interview with our new Russian scout a few months back where he was praising Igor Chernyshov. He liked him better than Silayev. Looks like Chernyshov is ranked right in range of the Pittsburgh pick.
He said it a little differently :)

His quotes:
"Silayev isn`t top-10"
"Chernyshov is 1st rd pick level prospect"

But it was in November. Maybe he changed his mind

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I keep forgetting Silayev is 6'8.
Bob Mckenzie's mid-season ranking.

Top 3 (our range lol):
1. Celebrini
2. Silayev
3. Levshunov

4. Eiserman
5. Lindstrom

Honestly, I'd be ok using the Devils pick or even our own 2nd to move up into the top ten.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Ive seen the % of draft picks who are over 6'5 who actually hit and it's the worst % of any height range. When I see those big dudes, just think its not worth the risk and certainly not at pick #2
Bob McK' article quotes 5 of 10 NHL scouts putting him at 2OA, with the lowest putting him at 6, and the best compliment saying "he's not as offensive as pronger or as punishing as Chara in their draft years but he combines elements of both. Could be a Hedman." This is from his prospect thread as well. But nobody can see him in person...

Seems like he might be a real steal at wherever he falls to, if these scouts are right.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Ive seen the % of draft picks who are over 6'5 who actually hit and it's the worst % of any height range. When I see those big dudes, just think its not worth the risk and certainly not at pick #2
I kinda feel ya. I feel like super tall guys, especially D-men get too much praise simply because of their height. They also tend to look more impressive playing against other players who haven't fully grown yet making their physical dominance look even more impressive.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Silayev is not really on my radar at #2. I think he’s a tier below Levshunov/Dickinson/Catton/Lindstrom/Demidov, personally. But I haven’t seen a ton of full games from him so I wouldn’t consider myself super knowledgeable on his play.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I'm not stumping for Silayev at 2, I'm just reporting that NHL scouts told Bob Mackenzie that 5 out of 10 of them put him at 2. There's enough noise about Levshunov's defensive zone processing and decision making that he scares me at 2 even as a RD with good numbers, Dickinson seems very solid with a Pietrangelo ceiling but might end up boring 3-4 so that's scary at 2, Eiserman is falling, Demidov is lighting up the equivalent of CHL, Catton is lighting up the CHL but people worry about his size, Silayev is very solid in a "weaker than before but still probably 2nd best league in the world" KHL.

With all this noise, you probably go with the kid you think is a perfect fit for your org in his intangibles (leadership, work ethic, etc) and you can see some spikes in an area you want... Or you go with crazy upside, which only a few players on that list really have (Silayev, Lindstrom...)... But who knows.

If Silayev hadn't cooled off on points generation in the last 25 games he'd probably be a clear #2, and then you have the Russia problem. But Wheeler's deep dive on him from October (paywall) was pretty exciting. Meet Anton Silayev, the 2024 NHL Draft's 6-foot-7 unicorn with 'elite skating'

As it stands, I have no idea what I'd do at 2 and I won't even have a good guess as to what Grier would do there until we're closer to June. I'm definitely not sold on any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad