2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have to be honest, I kinda have this same fear. Unlike top-end forwards, I do believe there is some degree of influence that the NHL team has in turning a promising defense prospect into a true #1D.

The best the Sharks have done is Vlasic and Braun fifteen years ago. One could argue that under the Sharks, Burns went from a solid #2 to a Norris winner, although I feel like Joe Thornton deserves most of the credit for that.

Can we credit David Quinn with the development of Adam Fox?
Todd Marchant was with Anaheim when they were pumping out defenesemen. So I'm gonna hope that carries over.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
IMG_3413.jpeg

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean Parekh has better production in his draft year than Merkley had in his D+2 year. Don't really see the comparison.
He's a small offense-only defenseman who doesn't hit or defend. Taking a flier on a guy like that in the 4th round a la Cagnoni is a good gamble but we shouldn't be spending premium draft capital on that player type when you can acquire Calen Addison for a 5th.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's a small offense-only defenseman who doesn't hit or defend. Taking a flier on a guy like that in the 4th round a la Cagnoni is a good gamble but we shouldn't be spending premium draft capital on that player type when you can acquire Calen Addison for a 5th.
I actually like Parekh a lot and think you’re selling him short a bit. While he’s not some defensive stalwart I wouldn’t really classify him as an offense only guy. I think he’s got the IQ to be fine in the defensive zone, something that Merkley didn’t have.

Buium to me is the one that I’m worried about being an offense only D.

I’d love to pick up one of Parekh or Yakemchuk with PIT’s first or (fingers crossed) NJD pick if we don’t get a D with our pick.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Another player who had significantly worse production in their D+2 year than Parekh in his draft year. Should we avoid defensemen with good size+skating because you can get Mirco Mueller for cheap too?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Another player who had significantly worse production in their D+2 year than Parekh in his draft year. Should we avoid defensemen with good size+skating because you can get Mirco Mueller for cheap too?
Parekh could score 200 points in the OHL this season for all I care but if he’s a total liability without the puck even against junior aged players what’s the realistic ceiling there? Power play quarterbacks, even elite ones, just aren’t very valuable or difficult to acquire.

Reactions: Friday

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
What's done is done, and this is unconfirmed of course, but here you go with a piece of evidence against drafting high end Russians including Michkov unless you're willing to wait 5 years with no control over development.

"Of note to NHL prospects with KHL clubs:Shumi Babaev mentions via MatchTV:"We have an order from the President, according to which young players should stay here - in Russia." Link in tweet thread.

They have been working on rules to not allow players to go abroad before a set amount of time."

Depending on how much to believe it, could be a reason to be worried about Silayev who just re-signed thru 2026, or Demidov. Although at least Silayev is with with Larionov at Torpedo.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
What's done is done, and this is unconfirmed of course, but here you go with a piece of evidence against drafting high end Russians including Michkov unless you're willing to wait 5 years with no control over development.

"Of note to NHL prospects with KHL clubs:Shumi Babaev mentions via MatchTV:"We have an order from the President, according to which young players should stay here - in Russia." Link in tweet thread.

They have been working on rules to not allow players to go abroad before a set amount of time."

Depending on how much to believe it, could be a reason to be worried about Silayev who just re-signed thru 2026, or Demidov. Although at least Silayev is with with Larionov at Torpedo.

Very unfortunate If true, but not suprising. In this case you could maybe use a later pick for Silayev, If he is still available. He could come at similar age as Kaprizov/Panarin and be more than ready to jump straight in to the line up, in probably already stacked Sharks team.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Just wanted to be clear. That mock draft prediction I posted was not mine. I think it was Tankathon or something like that. Just thought it was interesting and relevant because we’ve seen an influx of Lidstrom interest. No idea why it has Philly in place of Pitt either.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Honestly I don't blame Russia for doing this. The world is excluding them (with good reason) from intl tourneys and dragging their players, who are unaffiliated with conflict. Makes sense why they don't want to export their talent.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I get it

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
KC, Nem or Jux, have you guys watched Tij Iginla? Would he be a good swing at 11-13 picks?
Slightly early IMO. 15-20 he probably goes. With NJ’s pick absolutely I would. I think there’s going to be a defender at 10-15. Subject to change though by the time I put out a list

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
KC, Nem or Jux, have you guys watched Tij Iginla? Would he be a good swing at 11-13 picks?
If we’re going to go wing with the Pens pick, I think I prefer Michael Brandsegg-Nygård. He’s the Ryan Leonard of this draft, IMO. He’d be a great fit alongside the likes of Smith/Eklund/Musty if he hits top-6 potential and if he “only” makes it as a third liner, he’s a great fit with Bystedt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad