2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm going to attempt my top 5 with a breakdown, and then finish out my top-10 with just a list:

1. Macklin Celebrini - Easy pick at first overall. Potential 1C. Nothing else to say.
2. Anton Silayev - Potential is massive here. 6'7 and is showing some offense in the KHL. He's not the best 2nd overall pick in memory, but this is a weaker draft after Celebrini. I like Silayev more than the other options.
3. Cayden Lindstrom - This is a potential top line power forward. Even if he can't carry his own line, his size/skill combo would mesh extremely well with either Eklund or Smith.
4. Artyom Levshunov - I'm a huge fan of him, others aren't. Big right shot defenseman, playing well as a freshman in college. Another year or two in NCAA to round out some defensive habits and I think he has the highest pure upside out of the dmen in this draft, but is a riskier pick.
5. Cole Eiserman - Elite goal scorer. I wouldn't take him top 3 as I'm not sure he's good enough at other parts of his game. But at 5th overall, if you're getting a potential 40+ goal scorer you go for it.
6. Sam Dickinson
7. Ivan Demidov
8. Konsta Helenius
9. Berkley Catton
10. Shai Buium

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
When it comes to Eiserman I am weary of taking him with a top 3 pick.
He is certainly scoring goals at an impressive rate as a sniper but I am weary of drafting players who are pure snipers that early. You never truly know if their shot will work in the NHL the way that it does in juniors.
I am also worried that Eiserman could be another Patrik Laine, in that he is a pure goal scorer who, if he is not scoring is providing no value to the team.
I don't like drafting a wing that early, you can trade for first line wings, but it is much much harder to trade for first line centers or defensemen.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The stretch of good play continues. We are officially no longer in last place in points%. We're 6-2-2 in our last 10 against very good competition. That's a win or a tie in 80% of our games! What!?!

How long will this go before we start losing regularly again? Who knows! What's clear is that this team is not going to win only 10 games, probably won't win only 15 games, and is now on pace to win 25 games. Yes, we may be selling at the deadline leading to more losses, but I think the "worst team in history" predictions can be put to bed after 29 games.

If we end up picking 3-10th, and pick again with PIT's pick, we may come out with two solid top-4 D prospects (possibly even our best 2 D prospects) but no true top-end talent. Still, this team feels thin on a year to year basis... so some player sales at the deadline will likely lead to a stretch of losses, and/or 2025 still looks like a high draft pick year unless the free agency period is highly surprising.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The stretch of good play continues. We are officially no longer in last place in points%. We're 6-2-2 in our last 10 against very good competition. That's a win or a tie in 80% of our games! What!?!

How long will this go before we start losing regularly again? Who knows! What's clear is that this team is not going to win only 10 games, probably won't win only 15 games, and is now on pace to win 25 games. Yes, we may be selling at the deadline leading to more losses, but I think the "worst team in history" predictions can be put to bed after 29 games.

If we end up picking 3-10th, and pick again with PIT's pick, we may come out with two solid top-4 D prospects (possibly even our best 2 D prospects) but no true top-end talent. Still, this team feels thin on a year to year basis... so some player sales at the deadline will likely lead to a stretch of losses, and/or 2025 still looks like a high draft pick year unless the free agency period is highly surprising.

I think a LOT depends on where Bystedt, Havelid, Muhk, Musty and Smith are by the summer. If one or two of them are pushing for NHL spots — say Bystedt being ready for a 3C role and Muhk for a #4 role — and the team keeps playing passably well, I can see Grier potentially trying to start building to compete again. But I agree the chances are slim - more likely it’ll go as you say.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I still think we will finish last and am very confident we will finish bottom three but from what I can tell about this draft, the difference between the 2nd and 7th best prospect isn’t that significant. Obviously we want the best odds of getting Celebrini but we should be able to land someone like Lindstrom or Levshunov at 5th overall.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I still think we will finish last and am very confident we will finish bottom three but from what I can tell about this draft, the difference between the 2nd and 7th best prospect isn’t that significant. Obviously we want the best odds of getting Celebrini but we should be able to land someone like Lindstrom or Levshunov at 5th overall.

Yeah, I agree and honestly is performing well is a really good sign for this team. It’s not just vets playing well, it’s guys like Zetterlund and Eklund developing and getting better. This is great for their growth, for building a team identity, for building a positive culture. I’d rather have this than watch them look like shells of humans after the first ten games — that wasn’t good for anyone.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah, I agree and honestly is performing well is a really good sign for this team. It’s not just vets playing well, it’s guys like Zetterlund and Eklund developing and getting better. This is great for their growth, for building a team identity, for building a positive culture. I’d rather have this than watch them look like shells of humans after the first ten games — that wasn’t good for anyone.
Play well with youngsters and finish bottom 3 and still win the lottery. Make it happen.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
Don't look now. Currently tied for the 2nd-hottest team in points among non playoff teams over the last 10 games. Only the Oilers are hotter. Tied with the Devils.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Don't look now. Currently tied for the 2nd-hottest team in points among non playoff teams over the last 10 games. Only the Oilers are hotter. Tied with the Devils.
And yet, we're still 31st with a 43% 5v5 xGF% over those 10 games. I'm not too concerned especially since this run has increased the value of guys like Kahkonen, Granlund, Duclair, Hoffman and Barabanov, making it more likely we will trade them at some point and get even worse.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
And yet, we're still 31st with a 43% 5v5 xGF% over those 10 games. I'm not too concerned especially since this run has increased the value of guys like Kahkonen, Granlund, Duclair, Hoffman and Barabanov, making it more likely we will trade them at some point and get even worse.
Agreed. At the start of the year, most of those guys were most likely untradeable assets.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

Good run of play since Nov 5 explained by 17th in xGF% on the PP. 24th in xGF% on the PK. And, of course, confirming what we knew, 9th in xGF% with an empty net.

Also, we're 30th at ES rather than 5v5 in xGF% of 42.49.

Assuming that those amazing comebacks are not an indicator of true skill, you are right, we are still terrible. But some credit is due for the comebacks. Perhaps we'll see some regression and the next few attempts at a comeback will end in EN goals against.

All the stats basically show we should be bottom 3 but probably shouldn't have been as bad as we were thru Nov.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
One other source of concern: at least given current standings, we have the 2nd easiest schedule in the league ROS. Easiest is LA, while CHI has 12th hardest. ANA also has an easy schedule.

The difference is we have 12 games remaining against TOR/VGK/LA/WPG/DAL/VAN, and 16 games remaining against CHI/ANA/CBJ/SEA/CAL/OTT.

CHI plays 15 good teams and only 12 bad teams.

The games vs ANA and CHI down the stretch are going to be incredibly influential. As a sharks fan and therefore an inherent pessimist, this new info makes me think we are likely finishing 3-6 at best and picking 5-8. Possibly even worse if we have another extended solid run of play.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
One other source of concern: at least given current standings, we have the 2nd easiest schedule in the league ROS. Easiest is LA, while CHI has 12th hardest. ANA also has an easy schedule.

The difference is we have 12 games remaining against TOR/VGK/LA/WPG/DAL/VAN, and 16 games remaining against CHI/ANA/CBJ/SEA/CAL/OTT.

CHI plays 15 good teams and only 12 bad teams.

The games vs ANA and CHI down the stretch are going to be incredibly influential. As a sharks fan and therefore an inherent pessimist, this new info makes me think we are likely finishing 3-6 at best and picking 5-8. Possibly even worse if we have another extended solid run of play.
Well we started with a monster of a hard schedule and lost every game, so at least the team did their part then. Can Anaheim and Chicago also go zeros?

• Wow

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Cayden Lindstrom has 20 points (including 12 goals) in his past 11 games.

I’m starting to like the idea of building a future top six around Lindstrom, Eklund, Smith and Musty. Good variety of skill sets there.

His prospect thread is getting quite heated. Some people are saying "we love him for our team" (and it's a lot of teams) and others are saying "if this guy is a top 5, this draft must be really thin."

I'll be super interested to watch how this season unfolds and see if any clarity comes to 2-15.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017

• Wow

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
What are the weaknesses for Lindstrom? He sounds like an intriguing option for the Sharks if we don't get the Celebrini pick.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
What are the weaknesses for Lindstrom? He sounds like an intriguing option for the Sharks if we don't get the Celebrini pick.
I've only watched one game, and he looked great, so this is just a summary of the vitriol I've read on his prospect thread and what I've read on some evaluations.

strengths
+ size
+ skill (on the puck, stickhandling, shooting)
+ skating
+ plays with an edge
+ "Translatable game"
+ (controversial) developing a 2-way game, learning quickly

weaknesses
- some say "not very instinctive" other say "not a high IQ player at least not for a top 3 pick," others say "not very good vision in the offensive zone"
- some say his linemate Basha drives the play more than him, or "playmaking" is not a strength
- most everyone agrees that he is probably a top 15 pick but the big debate is whether he's worth a top 5 pick and/or whether he's just a good top 6 or middle 6 forward, or good enough to be a 1C centerpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad