2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
We also have Granlund, Duclair, Blackwood and to a way lesser extent Hoffman playing their best hockey in years. Any one of those guys (or really any one else on the roster) can regresss any game. Our team is literally other teams outcasts and AHL players lol.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Was binging some Berkly Catton film. At first I thought I saw a LHS Robert Thomas but the more I watched, I started seeing a LHS Williams Nylander. Just how slippery he is on the ice. How slick he is in front of goal. The way he glides around in offensive zone on his edges with his head up like a vulture dissecting the perfect play. More willing to go to the net and a bit less whip on his shot.

Super high skill. I really like.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Was binging some Berkly Catton film. At first I thought I saw a LHS Robert Thomas but the more I watched, I started seeing a LHS Williams Nylander. Just how slippery he is on the ice. How slick he is in front of goal. The way he glides around in offensive zone on his edges with his head up like a vulture dissecting the perfect play. More willing to go to the net and a bit less whip on his shot.

I also like Catton a lot. Right now for me he’s right there in the 2-4 range with Lindstrom and Eiserman. I think I have Silayev to round out the top 5 but I’d prefer one of the forwards with our early picks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I like Catton, I think I’d rank him above any defenseman and I think he’d be somewhere in my second tier with Lindstrom, Eiserman, and Demidov.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
If things actually go south and Sharks draft pick is around #5-#7 after draft lottery, I feel like they could look into drafting 2 defencemen with Sharks and Pittsburgh pick. I'm not sure who drops to that Pittsburgh pick, but I feel like #5-7 there is still an top 2-4 potential defencemen available. That would be a move that will help our d-core problems by a mile. I feel like '24 draft is a Celebrini/Lindstrom or D-core for the Sharks.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's funny seeing how terribly Chicago's rebuild is going outside of Bedard. Korchinski and especially Reichel (who's now in his D+4 year) look way out of their depth in the NHL. Their other recent 1st rounders like Moore and Nazar aren't lighting it up in college hockey, 2021 1st rounder Nolan Allan has 3 points in 19 AHL games, nobody else seems to be outperforming their draft slot. NHL almost needs to gift them another lottery win to get this thing on the rails.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If things actually go south and Sharks draft pick is around #5-#7 after draft lottery, I feel like they could look into drafting 2 defencemen with Sharks and Pittsburgh pick. I'm not sure who drops to that Pittsburgh pick, but I feel like #5-7 there is still an top 2-4 potential defencemen available. That would be a move that will help our d-core problems by a mile. I feel like '24 draft is a Celebrini/Lindstrom or D-core for the Sharks.
And even though it would suck to not get a guy like Celebrini. If we walked out of the draft with say 2 of Dickinson/Levshunov/Silayev/Yakemchuk/Parehk/Buium it would be huge for the rebuild.

Right now the PIT pick is 12.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Pretty sure they changed the rules so Chicago can’t get back to back 1OA, right? Being 31st still has us drafting first!
They can, can't win the lottery 2 times in i believe a 5 year span. Bedard was Chicago first lottery win.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Pretty sure they changed the rules so Chicago can’t get back to back 1OA, right? Being 31st still has us drafting first!
Chicago is eligible to pick #1.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
They can, can't win the lottery 2 times in i believe a 5 year span. Bedard was Chicago first lottery win.
Can't move up in the lottery twice, so Bedard was one but if they end up being in last place and get Celebrini they can move up again still.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Just to clarify, you cannot move up more than twice in a five year span. Twice is just fine, so Chicago is eligible to move up to picks #1 or #2 if they manage to finish out of the basement. In that case, they would be ineligible to move up in 2025, 2026, or 2027.

Finishing last and still picking #1 (or 31st and picking #2) does not count as moving up. Consequently, Montreal is eligible to move up this year and once more during the next five years.

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
And even though it would suck to not get a guy like Celebrini. If we walked out of the draft with say 2 of Dickinson/Levshunov/Silayev/Yakemchuk/Parehk/Buium it would be huge for the rebuild.

Yep, that's a pretty good list to pick from, if we miss out on the top 5 players/forwards.
At least after getting two 1st round defencemen, there is no worries about relying on Cagnoni to be the only saviour on defence for the future.
I just really hope we can balance our prospect pool after '24 draft since we have such a forward heavy prospect pool.

After you get a blue chip defencemen or/and a top 4 defencemen, you can start targeting on a FA defencemen that can bring experience and maybe help that blue chip defencemen to get his game going.

Goalie is the last thing to draft in high rounds, when Sharks figure out their offence and solidify their defence with a young core, then it's time to start to put your money on a goalie.
#2-7 rounds for goalies is fine, if you have a decent forward/defence prospect pool.

EDIT: I'm a believer in Mukh and Thrun as two-way solid players, not maybe blue chip defencemen. That's why I didn't mention them earlier when I talked about the saviour on defence. Hävelid also can maybe challenge for a spot one day.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Yep, that's a pretty good list to pick from, if we miss out on the top 5 players/forwards.
At least after getting two 1st round defencemen, there is no worries about relying on Cagnoni to be the only saviour on defence for the future.
I just really hope we can balance our prospect pool after '24 draft since we have such a forward heavy prospect pool.

After you get a blue chip defencemen or/and a top 4 defencemen, you can start targeting on a FA defencemen that can bring experience and maybe help that blue chip defencemen to get his game going.

Goalie is the last thing to draft in high rounds, when Sharks figure out their offence and solidify their defence with a young core, then it's time to start to put your money on a goalie.
#2-7 rounds for goalies is fine, if you have a decent forward/defence prospect pool.

EDIT: I'm a believer in Mukh and Thrun as two-way solid players, not maybe blue chip defencemen. That's why I didn't mention them earlier when I talked about the saviour on defence. Hävelid also can maybe challenge for a spot one day.
I agree you can expect some combo of Muhk, Thrun, Havelid, Cagnoni, as guys who could become bottom-4/bottom-pairing (hopefully) but we need that top pairing guy. Even if we draft Celebrini, I think we go D with the PIT pick to add something to our blue line. If the PIT pick stays 11-14ish we could still get a Levshunov or Yakemchuk based on the season so far and where those guys seemed to be ranked. I think as of right now Dickinson, Silayev and now even Buium seem to be solidifying their top-10 cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: mogambomoroo

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I agree you can expect some combo of Muhk, Thrun, Havelid, Cagnoni, as guys who could become bottom-4/middle-pairing (hopefully) but we need that top pairing guy. Even if we draft Celebrini, I think we go D with the PIT pick to add something to our blue line. If the PIT pick stays 11-14ish we could still get a Levshunov or Yakemchuk based on the season so far and where those guys seemed to be ranked. I think as of right now Dickinson, Silayev and now even Buium seem to be solidifying their top-10 cases.

Cagnoni if he progresses well enough, could be a sure 2nd pair, 2PP player, or even 3rd pair and 2PP. I would even try out a scenario where Cagnoni is used as an RD in 2nd pair because of his offensive skills, but it's probably not realistic. (because it's not NHL 24 game, where players at least in online games seems to be playing on their one timer)
Like Ryan Lindgren paired with Adam Fox, I could see Mukh or even Thrun being our Lindgren and paired with an elite defencemen, but I'm not getting too excited yet.
Hävelid is kind of the more mysterious one, he could get a look at 3rd pair RD if he progresses but could see him being the odd man out also. I think Cagnoni - Hävelid sounds good on a paper but maybe in a real game situation could be too small of a defensive pair.

And yes, we need a defence prospects desperately.

Best scenario would be:
Mukhamadullin - X (absolute stud 1st pair, 1PP defencemen)
Cagnoni - X (very solid defencemen, to help Cagnoni be himself)
Thrun - X (veteran RD)

More realistic scenario:
X - X
Mukhamadullin - X
Cagnoni - X (Cagnoni 2PP)

This is based on Sharks fandom and gut feeling, so I would love to hear more opinions on some of these scenarios.

Reactions: DG93

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Cagnoni if he progresses well enough, could be a sure 2nd pair, 2PP player, or even 3rd pair and 2PP. I would even try out a scenario where Cagnoni is used as an RD in 2nd pair because of his offensive skills, but it's probably not realistic. (because it's not NHL 24 game, where players at least in online games seems to be playing on their one timer)
Like Ryan Lindgren paired with Adam Fox, I could see Mukh or even Thrun being our Lindgren and paired with an elite defencemen, but I'm not getting too excited yet.
Hävelid is kind of the more mysterious one, he could get a look at 3rd pair RD if he progresses but could see him being the odd man out also. I think Cagnoni - Hävelid sounds good on a paper but maybe in a real game situation could be too small of a defensive pair.

And yes, we need a defence prospects desperately.

Best scenario would be:
Mukhamadullin - X (absolute stud 1st pair, 1PP defencemen)
Cagnoni - X (very solid defencemen, to help Cagnoni be himself)
Thrun - X (veteran RD)

More realistic scenario:
X - X
Mukhamadullin - X
Cagnoni - X (Cagnoni 2PP)

This is based on Sharks fandom and gut feeling, so I would love to hear more opinions on some of these scenarios.
I think even more realistic is probably like:

X-X
Mukhamadulin-X
Okhotiuk-Thrun/Cagnoni
Thrun/Cagnoni

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think even more realistic is probably like:

X-X
Mukhamadulin-X
Okhotiuk-Thrun/Cagnoni
Thrun/Cagnoni
Hey, don't forget about Emberson! (I'm sort of kidding but in fact I really like what we've seen from him and he could very well be a decent 2nd or 3rd pairing right-sided d-man who won't blow you away but can be extremely steady, Justin Braun-style, which could be ideal for a guy like Cagnoni.)

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Cagnoni if he progresses well enough, could be a sure 2nd pair, 2PP player, or even 3rd pair and 2PP.
I think even if Cagnoni ends up as an Addison, that's a win (which is what you've written here).

Definitely. Any of those would, I think, become the #1 D prospect in our system, at least given what we know today. Coming out with 2 of them gives us 2 chances at a Mintyukov kind of win and that's amazing.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Since we’re guessing, this is sort of what I see if everyone hits their projection:

Thrun - 1D
Mukhamadullin - Cagnoni
Okhotiuk - Havelid

Which is a very very very mobile defense. But of course, again, they actually have to work in the NHL and the only guy who has shown he can is Okhotiuk.

I have high hopes for Cagnoni though, I think that little guy has all the skill in the world and keeps proving that to people.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The only current Sharks’ D prospect I’m expecting to be anything more than a journeyman is Mukhamadullin. Trying to fill out the future D core with current prospects is pretty rough.
Would be nice if they could start building the D prospect pool with that Pens pick at 11-12 :naughty:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There are some notable top four defensemen like Bowen Byram, K'Andre Miller and Noah Dobson hitting "pre-agency" (RFA with arb rights 1 year from UFA) over the next couple of years. We will need to pull off the defense version of the trades LA made for Fiala and Dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad