2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The only current Sharks’ D prospect I’m expecting to be anything more than a journeyman is Mukhamadullin. Trying to fill out the future D core with current prospects is pretty rough.
Luca, perennial all star confirmed

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Would be nice if they could start building the D prospect pool with that Pens pick at 11-12 :naughty:
Totally, there’s a group of D in that range (Buium, Jiricek, Yakemchuk, Parekh) I’m eying in that range that would be great. If we can’t get Celebrini (or Lindstrom if he keeps developing for the rest of the year at this rate), I’d be tempted to go Levshunov purely for the upside and another D with the Pens pick.

There are some notable top four defensemen like Bowen Byram, K'Andre Miller and Noah Dobson hitting "pre-agency" (RFA with arb rights 1 year from UFA) over the next couple of years. We will need to pull off the defense version of the trades LA made for Fiala and Dubois.
Don’t you feel like it’s a year too early to start making those moves, given that they’ll likely take 1st round picks to make? I am absolutely a proponent of pursuing that strategy once our core is drafted, but unless we literally get Celebrini I don’t know if it’s a good idea.

If it were a matter of, say, turning Bystedt and Thrun into Dobson I’d say go for it, but 1st round picks seem to be the best currency for that kind of move and trading the 2025 1st even protected seems unwise.

Luca, perennial all star confirmed
I know this is tongue-in-cheek but the key word is “expecting”. You know I love me some Luca and I have hopes of Havelid panning out as a solid NHLer as well, but Mukh is a cut above as a prospect. The situation is not quite “Taylor Doherty and Nick Petrecki” bad, but it’s not great outside of him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Don’t you feel like it’s a year too early to start making those moves, given that they’ll likely take 1st round picks to make? I am absolutely a proponent of pursuing that strategy once our core is drafted, but unless we literally get Celebrini I don’t know if it’s a good idea.

If it were a matter of, say, turning Bystedt and Thrun into Dobson I’d say go for it, but 1st round picks seem to be the best currency for that kind of move and trading the 2025 1st even protected seems unwise.
Like you said it depends on the cost. I probably wouldn't trade a top 10 pick (or a future 1st that could become one) but the Pittsburgh 1st, NJ 1st if it converts and any other 1sts we can somehow mine from playoff teams for Ferraro or Hertl or somebody else should be on the table.

Unique circumstances but LA got Dubois for 2nd+Kupari+Iafallo which I think would be comparable to like 2nd+Bordeleau+Zetterlund from the Sharks. Can't see us landing any of those 3 defensemen for that but if we upgraded say the 2nd to a late 1st acquired for Ferraro and offered Musty instead of Bordeleau then maybe Byram becomes a possibility if the Avs don't want to pay him after already giving Toews the bag.

• Wow
Reactions: Groo

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Like you said it depends on the cost. I probably wouldn't trade a top 10 pick (or a future 1st that could become one) but the Pittsburgh 1st, NJ 1st if it converts and any other 1sts we can somehow mine from playoff teams for Ferraro or Hertl or somebody else should be on the table.

Unique circumstances but LA got Dubois for 2nd+Kupari+Iafallo which I think would be comparable to like 2nd+Bordeleau+Zetterlund from the Sharks. Can't see us landing any of those 3 defensemen for that but if we upgraded say the 2nd to a late 1st acquired for Ferraro and offered Musty instead of Bordeleau then maybe Byram becomes a possibility if the Avs don't want to pay him after already giving Toews the bag.
I don’t quite think the Kings are a great example of what the Sharks should emulate, to be honest. It’s not like we have Kopitar and Doughty… the Kings this year most remind me of the 2016 Sharks, with Kopitar starring as 37 year old Joe Thornton, Doughty as 34 year old Burns, and Byfield as 21 year old Hertl. The Kings have a legit shot at a Cup this year, and I absolutely don’t blame them for trying to take advantage of Kopitar and Doughty still being elite, but is that a model for sustainable contention? I don’t think too much of Dubois.

I’d rather emulate the Devils. Only after you have your Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, and Jesper Bratt in place do you start making moves for guys like Marino, Hamilton, Siegenthaler, and Meier. That team is going to contend for a decade. The Kings are done as soon as Kopitar falls off. You could argue that if we get Celebrini, then Celebrini/Smith/Eklund might be a passable attempt at Hughes/Hischier/Bratt, but that’s a huge if. And the Devils somehow lucked into L. Hughes and Nemec on top of that, which you know would never happen to the Sharks.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to get the pro scouts going though… gotta find the next Devon Toews, John Marino, etc.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don’t quite think the Kings are a great example of what the Sharks should emulate, to be honest. It’s not like we have Kopitar and Doughty… the Kings this year most remind me of the 2016 Sharks, with Kopitar starring as 37 year old Joe Thornton, Doughty as 34 year old Burns, and Byfield as 21 year old Hertl. The Kings have a legit shot at a Cup this year, and I absolutely don’t blame them for trying to take advantage of Kopitar and Doughty still being elite, but is that a model for sustainable contention? I don’t think too much of Dubois.

I’d rather emulate the Devils. Only after you have your Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, and Jesper Bratt in place do you start making moves for guys like Marino, Hamilton, Siegenthaler, and Meier. That team is going to contend for a decade. The Kings are done as soon as Kopitar falls off. You could argue that if we get Celebrini, then Celebrini/Smith/Eklund might be a passable attempt at Hughes/Hischier/Bratt, but that’s a huge if. And the Devils somehow lucked into L. Hughes and Nemec on top of that, which you know would never happen to the Sharks.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to get the pro scouts going though… gotta find the next Devon Toews, John Marino, etc.
I don't think we can afford to just sit and wait for a lottery win before trying to improve. It may never happen. Based on the odds, the most likely scenario is that it will never happen. Obviously that shouldn't mean trading our own 1sts or recent top picks until we show major improvement in the standings but it also shouldn't preclude us from trying to add good players as soon as possible. We won't get back into the playoffs as quickly as the Kings did thanks to Kopitar and Doughty but that also means we will continue to draft relatively high and add top prospects.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
There are some notable top four defensemen like Bowen Byram, K'Andre Miller and Noah Dobson hitting "pre-agency" (RFA with arb rights 1 year from UFA) over the next couple of years. We will need to pull off the defense version of the trades LA made for Fiala and Dubois.
I'd love Miller but I think it's impossible. He's their top LD and I'm not sure why the rangers would trade him, especially since Chytil might be done from injuries (big maybe) and that free's up space. Unless LAF explodes and asks for a elite-level contract, I think they have the money and want to keep Miller.

Aside, isn't Dobson "on the block"?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Just my 2 cents, but Byram, Miller and Dobson kind of defencemen are probably a lot harder to get for a good price rather than forwards in Fiala and Dubois. I think if you can get a decent deal on Byram or Dobson, you go for it any day. Miller is very good too but I feel like he is a player you go for IF you already have your #1 pair, 1PP young defencemen.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Still too early in the rebuild to consider trading young assets for a guy like that now. We've picked in the top 10 twice during this rebuild phase. Eklund is only now on the team, Smith is probably 1.5-2 years away. We need way more pieces before we think about improving that much.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
While the Devils rebuild will likely build a team that is good for a longer period than the Kings, the Devils got a ton of luck in their rebuild. They won the lottery twice and used the picks to get their top 2 centers. I don't think it makes sense to plan a rebuild around the assumption that the Sharks can get that lucky. The Kings model I think is a less luck based model where they just kept collecting assets and then traded the assets for good young players who became available. I think the Sharks should continue to accumulate assets and slowly integrate the prospects into the team. If someone young and good is available for a reasonable price and who you believe can be a top4/6 player on a Stanley Cup caliber team go get them. If an absolute star young player is available like Peterson go get them. Otherwise continue to accumulate assets and wait for the right time to use them.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
How many of EY's significant clients would drop them if it came out they were helping rig the NHL draft lottery? Hell, how many of their clients are even aware of the NHL? This league being a small fry also means nobody pays attention to it. These accounting firms have survived bigger scandals in the past.

I'm not saying the lottery is definitely rigged. I have no evidence of that. But Ernst & Young's glorified sponsorship of the TV event is not conclusive proof of anything.
I'm hugely tardy to this party, I know... I'll just leave this here:

What is the ethical issue with Ernst and Young?

Big Four firm accused of misleading regulators about June 2019 report of testing misconduct. WASHINGTON—Ernst & Young agreed to pay a record $100 million fine and to admit that some of its auditors cheated on required ethics exams in recent years, according to a settlement order released on Tuesday.
The company employs humans, as individuals they're fully corruptible. I'm not saying EY is in on it. But let's not talk like they're some holier-than-everyone else company.... Just a band of capitalists out to get theirs, maybe above board as a corp but maybe not so much as individuals.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think it's explicitly stated because I thought that was how protection always worked.
Yeah I am not sure but I think you can't have an every year protected 1st. If they decide to use the top 10 pick the next years would then be unprotected.

I'm hugely tardy to this party, I know... I'll just leave this here:

The company employs humans, as individuals they're fully corruptible. I'm not saying EY is in on it. But let's not talk like they're some holier-than-everyone else company.... Just a band of capitalists out to get theirs, maybe above board as a corp but maybe not so much as individuals.
And who is to say the company is not hired to just be a cover for what the league wants to happen. Remember the league and this company stopped showing the actual drawing of the balls and now its just names placed in an envelope, how do we not know that the NHL just says this company did a draw of the balls and did the names in the order.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah I am not sure but I think you can't have an every year protected 1st. If they decide to use the top 10 pick the next years would then be unprotected.

And who is to say the company is not hired to just be a cover for what the league wants to happen. Remember the league and this company stopped showing the actual drawing of the balls and now its just names placed in an envelope, how do we not know that the NHL just says this company did a draw of the balls and did the names in the order.
Because team officials are invited to the drawing of balls.

They just don’t televise it because it’s not very interesting for a tv audience.

• Wow

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Because Ernst & Young would come out and say "we did no such thing." Because it would leak. It always leaks.

The issue with conspiracy theories is that they cannot be failed or disproved. There is always something else that can be rigged, someone else that can be part of the conspiracy. It never ends to the believer. That's why, unless there is actual evidence to support the assertion (like a document, or an eyewitness, or something), the assertion should be dismissed.

Is there any evidence, at all, that the NHL draft lottery, of all things, is actually rigged? Of course not. It's just magical thinking, innumeracy, and belief in sports as morality tales ("Chicago covered up sexual assault, so how dare they win the lottery - it must be rigged, rather than the laws of probability simply not caring about our human morality").

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It might be twice as likely but neither is all that likely. It’s obviously better to be last and have the best odds of getting the #1 pick but it is still not very likely to happen even if the team has 25% odds.
Its actually pretty good odds when you consider its 25.5% spread out over 11 teams. that means there is 74.5% to be spread collectively over the remaining ten teams. 7% or so overage, also take into account likely half the teams although still have mathematical chance, its not realistic

• Wow

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
The lottery ball thing was my favorite part!! The draft itself is one long ass circle jerk between Sharks' picks for me. Aside from fun shit like this:

by_an_eyelash.gif

Not that the lottery balls weren't CGI :sarcasm:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Boy, watching the London-Saginaw game and now watching the Medicine Hat has reminded me how much I hate watching the CHL. I’ll watch NCAA or Euro men’s pros games any day, but the CHL is just not very entertaining unless there’s a genuine superstar on the ice like Zach Benson.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Cayden Lindstrom is mean, mean. Was having a pretty quiet game, but laid out a guy on the boards, won a puck battle, and about ten seconds later put home a gimme in front of the net.

I really, really like Andrew Basha. Would be a steal with our 2nd rounder but I think he’s been under the radar so far.

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Draft year stats. Buium is now up to 1.38! And Levshunov is at 1.00.

Historical stuff.

ga2m5f6xsaa-fum-jpeg.780933
Thanks for posting this!

At the start of BC's season the two matchups I was most looking forward to were the games against Michigan State and BU, because of Levshunov and Celebrini. Still waiting on the BU games, but during the Michigan games Levshunov didn't stand out a whole lot. Happy to see that he's picking it up, at least on the score sheet, as more high end options in this draft benefit us.

Buium was a surprise. He was super involved and made some crisp passes through the neutral zone. Loved his motor. I'd be estatic if that's who we snagged with the Pen's pick, if we get this year's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad