2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
25.5% chance of getting the #1 pick for being last massive. Almost twice as likely as even just the second to last team.

There is also a massive drop off in production from the forward group after Cole Eiserman (although I guess we should be wary of NTDP production after last year).
It might be twice as likely but neither is all that likely. It’s obviously better to be last and have the best odds of getting the #1 pick but it is still not very likely to happen even if the team has 25% odds.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
There's so much time left, and it's still best to have a top 3 pick. We'll see how the profiles shake out. Over 7 months until the draft, only 5 since the last draft. Huge amounts of time for movement.

But if the draft really does end up looking like Celebrini, and then a whole lot of others in a pile, either you keep your #3 and pick the profile you like the best, or you trade down for a pick in the 4-10 range to give one of those a chance at someone they really want, and you pick two from the "next muddled tier" with our + PIT's pick instead of just one at #3, similar to what Grier did with the 11OA. Again, I don't think this is likely but it's an option if that's how the draft profiles shake out.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
How satisfying would it be for the sharks to go from being debated as the worst team in history

To going on an FU winning streak

To finishing as a bubble team

To leapfrogging a bunch of teams to get the #1 pick in the draft

I want to be leaf

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
If Helenius has a good WJC, I think he solidly steps into the #2 spot. His production is catching up, and I think he stays at center in the NHL vs. Eiserman who is a guaranteed winger.

Doesn't have ideal size but the Smith comparison people said earlier doesn't really hold since he is a much better skater, and I could see him being a #1 center if things work out.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Hopefully there is a must draft top line defencemen that rises to that top 5 area. If you are not drafting Celebrini it could be wise to start drafting defencemen with higher picks sooner than later (sometimes you have to reach a little for potential in defence) since Sharks haven't been drafting defencemen with 1st round picks in a while. It will take time before we really know what Sharks can get, let's hope it becomes a deep draft by the end of the year and that Pittsburgh pick gives us another ticket to draft a gem.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I really don't know how to rank my own top 10 this year. I have Celebrini in a tier of his own and then the next 8 guys I could flip flop around every hour.

1. Celebrini

Eiserman
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Silayev
Demidov
Helenius
Lindstrom

I want one of those 3 Dman to prove I could confidently put them 2nd but I can't do that yet. Each of those 8 guys has flaws that makes me think they're not worth 2nd overall. I guess based on my notes Catton or Silayev would be my favourite atm.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I really don't know how to rank my own top 10 this year. I have Celebrini in a tier of his own and then the next 8 guys I could flip flop around every hour.

1. Celebrini

Eiserman
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Silayev
Demidov
Helenius
Lindstrom

I want one of those 3 Dman to prove I could confidently put them 2nd but I can't do that yet. Each of those 8 guys has flaws that makes me think they're not worth 2nd overall. I guess based on my notes Catton or Silayev would be my favourite atm.

Zayne Parekh (D, OHL) maybe?
31 points in 23 games

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Here's a great thread with HockeyProspect's rankings from a few days ago, where multiple HP employees (and Mark, the owner) chime in throughout the thread on a bunch of prospects.

tl;dr NHL scouts are trashing this draft class, which falls off fast after top 10, and many pro scouts are not impressed with Eiserman's game so far this year. HP has Lindstrom 2nd (edit) Silayev 3rd, Dickinson 4th, Demidov 5th, Eiserman 6th, then Helenius, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Catton.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As of today it's the worst group I've ever seen in the OHL and probably the QMJHL as well (HP will turn 20 in 2024) - WHL is easily the strongest league in the CHL this year. Down year for the NTDP and Sweden to name a couple more.

I like the Top 10 overall and some people tend to just rate a draft on the top 10. It falls off reasonably quickly after that IMO.

In general I go league by league compared to what I've seen in years past. It's a down year based on that.

FWIW, I've never heard this many NHL scouts rip a draft class as much as I've heard it this year.

• Wow

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
It's reverse psychology by GMs with high Influence stats trying to bait others into giving up picks for cheap as a "favor"

I'm now convinced this is the best draft class in NHL history

• Haha

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Here's a great thread with HockeyProspect's rankings from a few days ago, where multiple HP employees (and Mark, the owner) chime in throughout the thread on a bunch of prospects.

tl;dr NHL scouts are trashing this draft class, which falls off fast after top 10, and many pro scouts are not impressed with Eiserman's game so far this year. HP has Lindstrom 2nd (edit) Silayev 3rd, Dickinson 4th, Demidov 5th, Eiserman 6th, then Helenius, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Catton.

And here are their prospect rankings from 2017 around this time of year. Definitely a couple important names missing.

1 Nolan Patrick RC Brandon WHL 6’2.75 198
2 Nico Hischier LC Halifax QMJHL 6'0.75 176
3 Elias Pettersson LW/C TimrÃ¥ IK Allsvenskan 6’1.25 156
4 Casey Mittelstadt LC Eden Prairie HS-MN 6'0.75 201
5 Gabe Vilardi RC Windsor OHL 6’3 201
6 Martin Necas RC HC Kometa Brno Czech 6'0.5 168
7 Timothy Liljegren RD Rögle Superelit 6’0 191
8 Eeli Tolvanen RW Sioux City USHL 5’10.25 170
9 Klim Kostin RW Dynamo VHL 6’3 196
10 Cal Foote RD Kelowna WHL 6’3.5 213

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
And here are their prospect rankings from 2017 around this time of year. Definitely a couple important names missing.
Yes, as it happens, these lists will continue to move for the next 7 months, and there are many of them. What is notable is that the thread was interesting to read with the HP team members chiming in, and the list is quite different than the current consensus around Eiserman + another high Lindstrom ranking.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Re: Lindstrom --- I have some bias against very tall prospects. I feel that people mentally use height as a tiebreaker when judging potential, and lots of short players drop in the draft accordingly. You definitely don't need to be tall to succeed in the NHL. I have no evidence for any of this, and it doesn't matter because we will get Celebrini.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Re: Lindstrom --- I have some bias against very tall prospects. I feel that people mentally use height as a tiebreaker when judging potential, and lots of short players drop in the draft accordingly. You definitely don't need to be tall to succeed in the NHL. I have no evidence for any of this, and it doesn't matter because we will get Celebrini.
Hope you're right.

I also see Lindstrom listed anywhere from just under 6'3" to 6'5"... he looks more like 6'3" on the ice. What stands out though is his speed and skill, and that's on top of his size. From the one shift-by-shift game I watched, I don't see any of the "hockey IQ" concerns. He was playing a sound 2-way C game and created a lot of great chances with only a few bad decisions.

I think height can be a positive but it isn't itself a desirable trait. Weight/sturdiness more important in my opinion, but if you have both, then you're a better prospect.

Reactions: Cas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad