2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's kinda crazy how easy he makes it look. I wouldn't be mad if he falls to us at 3.
For real. I know it’s juniors but he looks like he could be special. I’d rather take a chance on a player with this kind of upside than one-dimensional wingers like Demidov/Eiserman or lowish-IQ defensemen like Dickinson/Levshunov at this point.

He’ll be at the top of my watch list the rest of the season. If we came away with Lindstrom at 3 and say Adam Jiricek at ~12, I wouldn’t be terribly upset.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It is an incontrovertible fact that Black hockey players have their hockey IQ questioned far more frequently than white players.

It’s not an indisputable fact, it’s your opinion. I’m not going to turn this thread into this kind of debate though. Nobody ever moves off of their stance on the subject and it turns into a waste of time.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Chicago losing hall for the season and perry is a strong play, I wonder how we might be able to counter
Trade Blackwood and Ferraro to EDM for Campbell and 2024 unprotected 1st, 2024 3rd and 2025 2nd

It is an incontrovertible fact that Black hockey players have their hockey IQ questioned far more frequently than white players.
Never heard that with hockey. Definitely heard that when it comes to NFL quarterbacks.

Reactions: CaptainShark

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s not an indisputable fact, it’s your opinion. I’m not going to turn this thread into this kind of debate though. Nobody ever moves off of their stance on the subject and it turns into a waste of time.
Name one high-end Black hockey prospect that was not accused of having low hockey IQ. Byfield, Kane, Duclair, S. Jones, K. Miller, Nurse, Subban, Greenway, Byfuglien, Kylington, Simmonds, etc.

If you can’t see a pattern, I can’t help you.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

I could be convinced to take this guy 2nd overall.

This moved me. Package of size, skill and speed looks unicorn-ish. The edgework and omnidirectional movement are peak. He's got a huge frame, does he use it to shield the puck and impose his will on the cycle?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
so our wishlist is 1.Celebrini 2.Eiserman 3. Lindstrom? Ngl it’s a Pretty good feeling to practically know we’ll be getting one of these guys to help build for the future.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This moved me. Package of size, skill and speed looks unicorn-ish. The edgework and omnidirectional movement are peak. He's got a huge frame, does he use it to shield the puck and impose his will on the cycle?
He strikes me as someone who would have thrived in the 2016 Sharks cycle system but also has a strong transition game.

It’s obviously early, and I feel a little hesitant about it because as far as I’ve seen EliteProspects is the only scouting service I’ve seen with Lindstrom in the top-10, but I love what I’ve seen and combine that with the fact that I don’t love what I’ve seen from anyone else in the draft after Celebrini, I’m extremely intrigued.

I watched some of Sam Dickinson last night, and as always, I just don’t see it. I genuinely just don’t see what anyone is seeing in this player, he’s just there.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He strikes me as someone who would have thrived in the 2016 Sharks cycle system but also has a strong transition game.

It’s obviously early, and I feel a little hesitant about it because as far as I’ve seen EliteProspects is the only scouting service I’ve seen with Lindstrom in the top-10, but I love what I’ve seen and combine that with the fact that I don’t love what I’ve seen from anyone else in the draft after Celebrini, I’m extremely intrigued.

I watched some of Sam Dickinson last night, and as always, I just don’t see it. I genuinely just don’t see what anyone is seeing in this player, he’s just there.
I think Pronman at The Athletic had Lindstrom top 10 in his latest rankings too.

I’m all for it. Zero interest in using another lottery pick on a winger.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
This is why I think we'll end up going with one of the upside D at 3. Silayev, Levshunov have potential and maybe by the end of the year there will be more separation. Dickinson and Yakemchuk, even Jiricek seem to be polarizing, but maybe their next 40 games solidify the upside. There seems to be a big slug of solid D picks with top 4 upside and NHL floors, but nobody has really separated into a really excellent bet at 3OA.

Catton, Demidov, (edit: Lindstrom) need to see how they finish out the year. Not going to be an easy pick for GMMG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Add another one to consider if we pick 3-4. Konsta putting up amazing stats in Liiga at 17.

Wheeler has him at 6th, Pronman at 11th, Elite Prospects at 8th, THN at 9th, Mackenzie at 7th, Button at 4th, Dobber Prospects at 6th. That was just a few I clicked thru on eliteprospects.com. Granted, everyone could be wrong.

He's in the top 10 conversation but it feels like it might be a bit of a reach at 3-4, as of right now. Especially since he's another 5'11" creative playmaking/driving center, which sounds a lot like Smith.

If we pick 3 (or god forbid 4), I'd probably prefer we go with a player who's a bit spikier, so to speak.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Wheeler has him at 6th, Pronman at 11th, Elite Prospects at 8th, THN at 9th, Mackenzie at 7th, Button at 4th, Dobber Prospects at 6th. That was just a few I clicked thru on eliteprospects.com. Granted, everyone could be wrong.

He's in the top 10 conversation but it feels like it might be a bit of a reach at 3-4, as of right now. Especially since he's another 5'11" creative playmaking/driving center, which sounds a lot like Smith.

If we pick 3 (or god forbid 4), I'd probably prefer we go with a player who's a bit spikier, so to speak.

There is always a lot of change in prospect ratings from early year to the draft. Writing off a prospect as not top 5 material this early, especially one that has been highly regarded for years is pretty silly.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

There is always a lot of change in prospect ratings from early year to the draft. Writing off a prospect as not top 5 material this early, especially one that has been highly regarded for years is pretty silly.
Yep, as I said, "as of right now." Plenty of time for things to change. Didn't write anyone off. I've consistently said that it's early and that hopefully things crystallize a bit more by the draft. And even then, there will be movement post-draft, as there always is.

All that said, it would be surprising (and great for Helenius) if he becomes a consensus top 4 by June. Per your link, it would be as impressive as Carlsson's rise, Smith's rise.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is why I think we'll end up going with one of the upside D at 3. Silayev, Levshunov have potential and maybe by the end of the year there will be more separation. Dickinson and Yakemchuk, even Jiricek seem to be polarizing, but maybe their next 40 games solidify the upside. There seems to be a big slug of solid D picks with top 4 upside and NHL floors, but nobody has really separated into a really excellent bet at 3OA.

Catton, Demidov, (edit: Lindstrom) need to see how they finish out the year. Not going to be an easy pick for GMMG.
I would throw tomatoes if we picked Silayev at 3. Levshunov definitely has potential but he’s a really risky pick.

If we pick #2, I’d bet money that Grier would pick Boston boy Eiserman. If Lindstrom continues his rise this year, it might almost be better to pick #3…
Add another one to consider if we pick 3-4. Konsta putting up amazing stats in Liiga at 17.

Helenius is an awesome player but he’s extremely similar to Eklund. That’s not the player we need to end up with from this season.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Don't look now, but we're 4-5-1 in the last 10. Luckily we're about to go on a brutal road trip where only 1 game (Islanders) is arguably winnable. Meanwhile Perry is super-strangely gone from the Hawks with Hall gone for the season, the Wild are bad, and Columbus remains a tire fire.

Odds are still very good that we finish last, but worse than they were two weeks ago.

On the flip side, it's fun to watch some actual wins, team hockey, and some good play from the youths!

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Don't look now, but we're 4-5-1 in the last 10. Luckily we're about to go on a brutal road trip where only 1 game (Islanders) is arguably winnable. Meanwhile Perry is super-strangely gone from the Hawks with Hall gone for the season, the Wild are bad, and Columbus remains a tire fire.

Odds are still very good that we finish last, but worse than they were two weeks ago.

On the flip side, it's fun to watch some actual wins, team hockey, and some good play from the youths!
Making me nervous at 10 points in the standings. :scared:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

This kid is extremely intriguing. 17 year old defenseman from San Diego with 18 points in 14 games for Denver in college hockey so far. EP has him listed at 5'11, 165 but the DU website has him at 6'2, 180. His older brother is a 6'3 220lb Red Wings prospect so it's entirely possible he has grown that much.

If the measurables are accurate I think he merits consideration as high as #2 but it would be amazing if we could scoop him up with the Pittsburgh pick.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

This kid is extremely intriguing. 17 year old defenseman from San Diego with 18 points in 14 games for Denver in college hockey so far. EP has him listed at 5'11, 165 but the DU website has him at 6'2, 180. His older brother is a 6'3 220lb Red Wings prospect so it's entirely possible he has grown that much.

If the measurables are accurate I think he merits consideration as high as #2 but it would be amazing if we could scoop him up with the Pittsburgh pick.
His prospect thread says those height numbers are from 1-2 years ago and he's "probably" 6'0-6'2" right now. And he has a second older brother who is apparently 6'2" also! Seems like he's moving up the rankings quickly... Another high end D talent to consider.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

What do you think of Catton? I really like his two way ability and his skating.

He is one of those guys that I do not want at all. I hate his defensive game more than most guys in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad