2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The more I watch prospects from this draft class, the more it feels like Celebrini or bust. No one else is that good. And of course, this being the Sharks, there’s no way we’ll get Celebrini.
Surprised at this take... while none of them are Bedard, and beyond Macklin, none of them are Fantilli/Carlsson either, we'll still have a great pick at 3 (or even 4, barring a catastrophe). Demidov, Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, Catton, and more are floating around as Smith-level, possibly better than Reinbacher-level picks. All of them would immediately be 1st or 2nd best prospect in our pool.

Or is your take that you don't think any of those players are a Smith or Reinbacher-level, NHL starter / upside to occasional all-star level?

I agree it's not as good a year to be so bad, but it's not like it's nothing. All things considered, Chicago definitely has timed their tank better than we have, if it was even a choice. I really wish we had faced the music after 2020.

Reactions: hckygeek

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Surprised at this take... while none of them are Bedard, and beyond Macklin, none of them are Fantilli/Carlsson either, we'll still have a great pick at 3 (or even 4, barring a catastrophe). Demidov, Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, Catton, and more are floating around as Smith-level, possibly better than Reinbacher-level picks. All of them would immediately be 1st or 2nd best prospect in our pool.

Or is your take that you don't think any of those players are a Smith or Reinbacher-level, NHL starter / upside to occasional all-star level?

I agree it's not as good a year to be so bad, but it's not like it's nothing. All things considered, Chicago definitely has timed their tank better than we have, if it was even a choice. I really wish we had faced the music after 2020.
Getting another Smith/Reinbacher-level prospect doesn't sound very exciting to me. But obviously there's nothing we can do to avoid that beyond just finishing last to maximize our odds.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I mean, that’s sort of my point. Getting another Smith or Reinbacher level prospect isn’t exactly exciting to me. Obviously it would be great to get a Dickinson, Catton, whoever. But the rebuild will never go anywhere unless we get a legitimate star, and the only one in this draft to my eyes (so far) is Celebrini.

It’s just frustrating that whether or not our rebuild works out fully depends on lottery balls, which tend to favor (don’t really feel like arguing this right now) certain teams. If Toronto hadn’t won the lottery in 2016 and ended up with Laine instead of Matthews, their rebuild would have been a failure. Imagine if the Oilers had Dylan Strome or Noah Hanifin instead of McDavid.

Don’t get me wrong, tanking is still the optimal way to build a contender, but there’s a reason it’s not a guarantee. Imagine being Detroit, who is coming out of six years of tanking with little else beyond Seider.

The only team that has managed to build anything without lottery luck is Anaheim, and they’re the best drafting team in the league by far, whereas the Sharks are far below average.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Getting another Smith/Reinbacher-level prospect doesn't sound very exciting to me. But obviously there's nothing we can do to avoid that beyond just finishing last to maximize our odds.
Agreed, I want Macklin or Eiserman please haha

I mean, that’s sort of my point. Getting another Smith or Reinbacher level prospect isn’t exactly exciting to me. Obviously it would be great to get a Dickinson, Catton, whoever. But the rebuild will never go anywhere unless we get a legitimate star, and the only one in this draft to my eyes (so far) is Celebrini.

It’s just frustrating that whether or not our rebuild works out fully depends on lottery balls, which tend to favor (don’t really feel like arguing this right now) certain teams. If Toronto hadn’t won the lottery in 2016 and ended up with Laine instead of Matthews, their rebuild would have been a failure. Imagine if the Oilers had Dylan Strome or Noah Hanifin instead of McDavid.

Don’t get me wrong, tanking is still the optimal way to build a contender, but there’s a reason it’s not a guarantee. Imagine being Detroit, who is coming out of six years of tanking with little else beyond Seider.

The only team that has managed to build anything without lottery luck is Anaheim, and they’re the best drafting team in the league by far, whereas the Sharks are far below average.
I agree with your post other than the Anaheim part...they drafted Carlsson at #2, McTavish at #3, and Drysdale #6 + two other key pieces top-10 (Zegras and Mintyukov). I'd say that's some pretty solid tanking

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Agreed, I want Macklin or Eiserman please haha

I agree with your post other than the Anaheim part...they drafted Carlsson at #2, McTavish at #3, and Drysdale #6 + two other key pieces top-10 (Zegras and Mintyukov). I'd say that's some pretty solid tanking
I didn’t say Anaheim didn’t tank, I said they didn’t win the lottery. They moved down in both the Bedard and Power drafts, and on top of that they made two risky picks that look like they’re working out spectacularly.

Taking McTavish over Eklund/Hughes/Clarke was heavily criticized at the time but Anaheim has the last laugh there, McTavish looks to be the best of them all by far. And while it’s early and Fantilli is no slouch, Carlsson looks like the right pick despite the fact that everyone laughed at them for making it. Zegras and Mintyukov were absolutely phenomenal picks for where they were taken. The only one of their five top-10 picks that looks bad is Drysdale, but it’s not like anyone taken in the next ten picks is exactly lighting it up. I can only dream of a day where the Sharks draft this well.

Reactions: Friday

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
We won't win the draft lottery and our prospects won't pan out. But that won't stop us from having the Vlasic/Jones/Burns/Karlsson/Simek/Labanc/Granlund deadweight contracts from ticking down by a year

Reactions: Shark Finn

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

I get it. Like I said, it's lining up that our tank years aren't as good as others, and conspiracy or no, draft luck matters. Right now Chicago is riding the wave.

We need to draft high through 2026... If we only draft high last year thru 2025, we drafted in relatively normal or weak years.

We might get effed this year and next ... Maybe we luck in, in the McKenna draft.

If not, might be a long time of being in a tier with Vancouver and Nashville, always hanging around the hoop but never really a threat to dunk, so to speak.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I get it. Like I said, it's lining up that our tank years aren't as good as others, and conspiracy or no, draft luck matters. Right now Chicago is riding the wave.

We need to draft high through 2026... If we only draft high last year thru 2025, we drafted in relatively normal or weak years.

We might get effed this year and next ... Maybe we luck in, in the McKenna draft.

If not, might be a long time of being in a tier with Vancouver and Nashville, always hanging around the hoop but never really a threat to dunk, so to speak.
Idk this might be the two best back-to-back drafts in a long time, especially in hindsight with Laine and Puljujarvi disappointing. The problem is drafting a Smith over a Michkov and a 3 game win streak putting you out of contention for Bedard/Carlsson/Fantilli, not the quality of the drafts.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I didn’t say Anaheim didn’t tank, I said they didn’t win the lottery. They moved down in both the Bedard and Power drafts, and on top of that they made two risky picks that look like they’re working out spectacularly.

Taking McTavish over Eklund/Hughes/Clarke was heavily criticized at the time but Anaheim has the last laugh there, McTavish looks to be the best of them all by far. And while it’s early and Fantilli is no slouch, Carlsson looks like the right pick despite the fact that everyone laughed at them for making it. Zegras and Mintyukov were absolutely phenomenal picks for where they were taken. The only one of their five top-10 picks that looks bad is Drysdale, but it’s not like anyone taken in the next ten picks is exactly lighting it up. I can only dream of a day where the Sharks draft this well.
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying, sorry about that. I think Eklund was a great value pick and Smith at #4 has an insane amount of upside, so those are both great picks. It's really frustrating that the Sharks couldn't get Mintyukov in 2022...I think that's who Grier wanted and then traded down. Now we need to get a couple top-2 picks to build around...hopefully starting with Celebrini.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I really, really want Celebrini, obviously. He looks like he's clearly the best player, plays a premium position, and he's a junior shark. How cool is that.

If as mathematically likely, we don't get him, I do think there's something to be said for maximising ELC players at the right time. With Celebrini the 3 year ELC clock starts next year. With maybe anyone else, it starts a year or two later. That said, if you end up with a #2 d-man (Dickinson) and a #2 C (Smith*) in a two year period of averaging 55 points, when there were 4 franchise/#1 Cs available, that would be rough.

Hopefully Silyaev/Dickinson/Levshunov make for Doughty/Pietrangelo compeition to Celebrini's Stamkos. Even more hopefully, let us not end up with whichever of those guys become Bogosian or Schenn. And while we're on the subject of the '08 draft let's pick whoever the Karlsson pick is with Pittsburgh's first (or even someone like Tyler Myers**).

*Prudent projection. I think Smith has #1 C upside, but he looks to be a clear step down from Carlsson, Fantilli, and Celebrini. Hopefully he proves me wrong, and either way, he's an exceptional prospect.

**Man, the 08 draft was ridiculous for d-men. Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers, Teubert, Karlsson, Gardiner, Sbisa, Del Zotto, Cuma, Carlson, Voyonov, Josi, Hamonic, Scandella in the top 60. 5 all-stars/norris winners or contenders, and 6 guys who we're really good 2nd pairing guys.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I really, really want Celebrini, obviously. He looks like he's clearly the best player, plays a premium position, and he's a junior shark. How cool is that.

If as mathematically likely, we don't get him, I do think there's something to be said for maximising ELC players at the right time. With Celebrini the 3 year ELC clock starts next year. With maybe anyone else, it starts a year or two later. That said, if you end up with a #2 d-man (Dickinson) and a #2 C (Smith*) in a two year period of averaging 55 points, when there were 4 franchise/#1 Cs available, that would be rough.

Hopefully Silyaev/Dickinson/Levshunov make for Doughty/Pietrangelo compeition to Celebrini's Stamkos. Even more hopefully, let us not end up with whichever of those guys become Bogosian or Schenn. And while we're on the subject of the '08 draft let's pick whoever the Karlsson pick is with Pittsburgh's first (or even someone like Tyler Myers**).

*Prudent projection. I think Smith has #1 C upside, but he looks to be a clear step down from Carlsson, Fantilli, and Celebrini. Hopefully he proves me wrong, and either way, he's an exceptional prospect.

**Man, the 08 draft was ridiculous for d-men. Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers, Teubert, Karlsson, Gardiner, Sbisa, Del Zotto, Cuma, Carlson, Voyonov, Josi, Hamonic, Scandella in the top 60. 5 all-stars/norris winners or contenders, and 6 guys who we're really good 2nd pairing guys.
After watching a few of Smiths games this year I don't see any 1C in him at all. Doesn't play 200 foot game, can't win face-offs, he plays a lot more like a scoring winger. Clearly the offensive talent is in there but just no way he's got the motor for 1C. If he does become a real NHL caliber center he's going to have to reshape his entire game. Making a Celebrini type pick all that much more important to the Sharks. Just no way to rebuild without a #1 C coming in. I really think Will Smith is going to be a 1RW.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I do like Eiserman but hes boring now. There’s nothing more for him to prove at that level. I think he can be a star goal scorer in the NHL and a part of a great line but he’s likely will need the complimentary pieces on his line to get there. Luckily I think we have those pieces in the system with Eklund and Bystedt.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Idk this might be the two best back-to-back drafts in a long time, especially in hindsight with Laine and Puljujarvi disappointing. The problem is drafting a Smith over a Michkov and a 3 game win streak putting you out of contention for Bedard/Carlsson/Fantilli, not the quality of the drafts.
Last year was amazing in the top 15 which made someone like Musty fall... for sure. But this year, is not seemingly that high quality of a draft. maybe middle of the road for the past 10 years, and only Celebrini truly elite. Deep D talent but not a true standout at the top, at least not yet. Eiserman has the shot but people seem to be more and more concerned about the rest of his game. Not everyone has him at unanimous #2.

I do like Eiserman but hes boring now. There’s nothing more for him to prove at that level. I think he can be a star goal scorer in the NHL and a part of a great line but he’s likely will need the complimentary pieces on his line to get there. Luckily I think we have those pieces in the system with Eklund and Bystedt.
He's gonna play in the NCAA first, is my guess... would be surprised if he decommitted from BU.

We'll see how the rest of the year shakes out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Last year was amazing in the top 15 which made someone like Musty fall... for sure. But this year, is not seemingly that high quality of a draft. maybe middle of the road for the past 10 years, and only Celebrini truly elite. Deep D talent but not a true standout at the top, at least not yet. Eiserman has the shot but people seem to be more and more concerned about the rest of his game. Not everyone has him at unanimous #2.

He's gonna play in the NCAA first, is my guess... would be surprised if he decommitted from BU.

Yeah he definitely will play in the NCAA like Will Smith is. Still he has nothing more to prove in his draft year.

Reactions: coooldude

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

Most drafts don't have a single Celebrini is the point.

Eiserman is also going the crush the NTDP goal record and Levshunov is having a very impressive draft year.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is it fair to compare Eiserman to Cole Caufield?

That would be a pretty big disappointment at 2nd or 3rd overall as I don't think Caufield will ever be a core player on a contending team.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Is it fair to compare Eiserman to Cole Caufield?

That would be a pretty big disappointment at 2nd or 3rd overall as I don't think Caufield will ever be a core player on a contending team.

He's out scoring Caufield in the same program. Eiserman is 6 feet tall and 200 lbs already while Caufield is 5'7 175 right now. I think you're getting more than a Caufield at least?

Reactions: Hodge and Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Most drafts don't have a single Celebrini is the point.

Eiserman is also going the crush the NTDP goal record and Levshunov is having a very impressive draft year.
That's not what most of the pro scouts are saying. Celebrini is a pretty standard, solid 1OA pick. He's a Tavares, not quite an Eichel at this point, and on par with Fantilli.

Levshunov has a lot of question marks -- his PPG is good but a lot of folks aren't sold, me included. Eiserman is a very good shooter. Look, I'm not claiming to be the expert, just reading what other experts are saying and most are saying this is a fairly standard year with the unique point being the # of Round 1 D, and the tight grouping in 15-30, but not extraordinary in any way.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
That's not what most of the pro scouts are saying. Celebrini is a pretty standard, solid 1OA pick. He's a Tavares, not quite an Eichel at this point, and on par with Fantilli.

Levshunov has a lot of question marks -- his PPG is good but a lot of folks aren't sold, me included. Eiserman is a very good shooter. Look, I'm not claiming to be the expert, just reading what other experts are saying and most are saying this is a fairly standard year with the unique point being the # of Round 1 D, and the tight grouping in 15-30, but not extraordinary in any way.
His production is well above Fantilli and Tavares in both his D-1 and draft year so far, and Eichel was considered a generational prosepect too. He is also 8 months younger in his draft year than those guys, and a significantly more advanced two way player.

You also thought this Sharks team would be improved without Karlsson, so not hard to imagine why you don't see the value in a puck moving RHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Friday

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Rewatched the BU-Maine series today and it really is crazy how much better Celebrini is than Will Smith despite being over a year younger.

Constantly generating chances and looking like the best player on the ice in comparison to being completely invisibly for 99% of the game.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Rewatched the BU-Maine series today and it really is crazy how much better Celebrini is than Will Smith despite being over a year younger.

Constantly generating chances and looking like the best player on the ice in comparison to being completely invisibly for 99% of the game.
Yeah haha its pretty lame

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
His production is well above Fantilli and Tavares in both his D-1 and draft year so far, and Eichel was considered a generational prosepect too. He is also 8 months younger in his draft year than those guys, and a significantly more advanced two way player.

You also thought this Sharks team would be improved without Karlsson, so not hard to imagine why you don't see the value in a puck moving RHD.

Don't post this stuff man. It's just going to make the inevitable Flyers or Blackhawks lottery win more painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad