2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I won’t be shocked to see Esierman move up to #1 overall by draft day
Absolutely zero chance at that, maybe if Macklin Celebrini fails to score another point in the NCAA this year.

Esierman is hurt by playing in a lower level then Celebrini and not even doing better at that level as a younger Celebrini did at that level.

And as of right now, Celebrini is doing better at a higher level then Esierman is doing in the current seasons.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If you run it infinite times, we will win 25.5% of the time...that's all that matters. You can run it 100 times and we don't win a single time, we still have a 25.5% chance to win because statistics!

I get it's fun to play with but that's the reality
That was also my point :)

I wouldn't be shocked that Sharks will get #3 pick if we finish last and #4 pick if we finish 2nd to last.
In fact, that's the most probable outcome. We were fortunate to stick at 4th last year.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Realistic waves which the NHL needs and deserves, you mean?
It is kinda crazy that the only western teams to draft 1OA other than Chicago and Edmonton (Darlings) EVER are St Louis once, Colorado once (not counting previous team), Kings once in the 70s, folded teams 5x and I think the Jackets were in the west at the time, but that's it. Of course, the lottery only started 30 or so years ago, so thats 5 different western teams in 30 years.

I never actually realized it was that nuts until I checked. Not going to stay its rigged cause obviously there's not proof, but it isn't a stretch at all to say somethings up. Let's just say the Sharks ain't getting Celebrini unless Bettman is really worried about the franchise's future as a whole.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
It is kinda crazy that the only western teams to draft 1OA other than Chicago and Edmonton (Darlings) EVER are St Louis once, Colorado once (not counting previous team), Kings once in the 70s, folded teams 5x and I think the Jackets were in the west at the time, but that's it. Of course, the lottery only started 30 or so years ago, so thats 5 different western teams in 30 years.

I never actually realized it was that nuts until I checked. Not going to stay its rigged cause obviously there's not proof, but it isn't a stretch at all to say somethings up. Let's just say the Sharks ain't getting Celebrini unless Bettman is really worried about the franchise's future as a whole.
Since the 2009 to present the eastern conference was awarded 15 times 1st overall pick and western conference 3 times. If this is not RIGGED LOTTERY than what is!

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Since the 2009 to present the eastern conference was awarded 15 times 1st overall pick and western conference 3 times. If this is not RIGGED LOTTERY than what is!
Since the 2005-06 season, the worst team in the NHL has come from the Eastern Conference twelve times, and the Western Conference six times. With the draft lottery, that's well within the range of statistical likelihood.

The draft is not rigged. That's just ludicrous conspiracy-mongering.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Since the 2005-06 season, the worst team in the NHL has come from the Eastern Conference twelve times, and the Western Conference six times. With the draft lottery, that's well within the range of statistical likelihood.

Wasn't trying to make it an East-West thing, just that I found that interesting. The Senators for example are an Eastern team that's also gotten absolutely screwed the last decade, but they did have their picks in the 90s. But the point was more traffic overall is in the east, which is also where the money teams are. You don't find it odd a team like the Rangers come outright and say they are tanking despite just coming off years of playoffs, never even finish bottom 5, but win the lottery twice? Yet a team like Arizona or Anaheim who perpetually struggled for a decade never won once? Or how teams like Toronto or Montreal finish last just one year and of course win #1, along with most other years when secondary markets finish last but get jumped by bigger markets? Or how Chicago forced its two stars out then wins the lottery for the guy to replace them?

Idunno. Again, no proof, but to say "hurr durr conspiracy" without really thinking about it is pretty silly in it's own. Rigged or not, NHL wants stars in big places, and wants money teams making as much as possible. They certainly would've never let a team like Anaheim or Arizona have the draft luck that some of the others have had the last two decades thats for sure.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Wasn't trying to make it an East-West thing, just that I found that interesting. The Senators for example are an Eastern team that's also gotten absolutely screwed the last decade, but they did have their picks in the 90s. But the point was more traffic overall is in the east, which is also where the money teams are. You don't find it odd a team like the Rangers come outright and say they are tanking despite just coming off years of playoffs, never even finish bottom 5, but win the lottery twice? Yet a team like Arizona or Anaheim who perpetually struggled for a decade never won once? Or how teams like Toronto or Montreal finish last just one year and of course win #1, along with most other years when secondary markets finish last but get jumped by bigger markets? Or how Chicago forced its two stars out then wins the lottery for the guy to replace them?

Idunno. Again, no proof, but to say "hurr durr conspiracy" without really thinking about it is pretty silly in it's own. Rigged or not, NHL wants stars in big places, and wants money teams making as much as possible. They certainly would've never let a team like Anaheim or Arizona have the draft luck that some of the others have had the last two decades thats for sure.
The draft lottery was done in partnership with Ernst and Young. No shot EY is risking their reputation as a big 4 firm over the NHL draft lottery haha it's fun to act like it's rigged but so long as the NHL uses a 3rd party like EY I'm going to say its safe to assume it's not

Reactions: Saskatoon and Cas

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
The draft lottery was done in partnership with Ernst and Young. No shot EY is risking their reputation as a big 4 firm over the NHL draft lottery haha it's fun to act like it's rigged but so long as the NHL uses a 3rd party like EY I'm going to say its safe to assume it's not
Why wouldn't 3rd party want to Rigged it. It's more under the table money for them if they take it for their organization. And the thing is. "NO ONE can prove that they cheated". Buttman and the NHL owners will look the other way. It is win-win for the NHL and EY. Losers are most of the NHL Western Conference teams and their fans. It's rigged! Look, I'm going to say it out loud 1st. Chicago is going to win the lottery again this year because the NHL wants a big city to have its big stars. Bedard and Celebrini on the same line is going to sell more tix and put more butts in the seats. This NHL business is all about MONEY not Fans!

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Why wouldn't 3rd party want to Rigged it. It's more under the table money for them if they take it for their organization. And the thing is. "NO ONE can prove that they cheated". Buttman and the NHL owners will look the other way. It is win-win for the NHL and EY. Losers are most of the NHL Western Conference teams and their fans. It's rigged! Look, I'm going to say it out loud 1st. Chicago is going to win the lottery again this year because the NHL wants a big city to have its big stars. Bedard and Celebrini on the same line is going to sell more tix and put more butts in the seats. This NHL business is all about MONEY not Fans!
Ernst & Young has annual revenues in excess of $45 billion. The NHL has annual revenues of approximately $6 billion.

The National Hockey League is a small fry. They couldn't bribe E&Y if they liquidated themselves.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Is the NHL paying EY multiple billions of dollars to rig it? Because EY generates more revenue every year than the entire league is worth today. Again, it makes literally no sense given the damage it would do to both EY and the NHL should something come out.

Again, fun to think about, but this is "lizard people control the world" levels of conspiracy thinking.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Dobber Prospects has Demidov at unanimous 2, and Dickinson at 3. Eiserman is 5. Levshunov and Silayev are 10-11.

They recorded their debate, looking forward to listening. Their read is that 15-32 is a very tight grouping.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
It would be a cool idea for the NHL to do the draft lottery at the beginning of the season, keep it a secret, and then announce the positions at the end of the year. Would be a way to deter tanking. Or maybe announce the order and watch teams try and be 2nd worst or whatever

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
It would be a cool idea for the NHL to do the draft lottery at the beginning of the season, keep it a secret, and then announce the positions at the end of the year. Would be a way to deter tanking. Or maybe announce the order and watch teams try and be 2nd worst or whatever
Wait why would it deter tanking?

Even if the pick order is already set the teams don't know the order, and they can't save scum, so if they are intentionally tanking it still makes most sense to finish last?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Ernst & Young has annual revenues in excess of $45 billion. The NHL has annual revenues of approximately $6 billion.

The National Hockey League is a small fry. They couldn't bribe E&Y if they liquidated themselves.
Yeah, EY doing this as an advisory engagement is likely not even getting $1M for that work. Only way that they'd get probably even half of that is due to risk. But from an engagement time budget perspective, even getting $250k for this work would still probably yield something like $500 an hour (which is still insane given $250 an hour is considered amazing on the audit side of the firm I work for). And even then, I can't see how the NHL lottery is a 500 hour engagement year over year as it's as simple as throwing team names into whatever their data analytics tool of choice is and randomizing.

Long story short, EY isn't getting near enough to sully their reputation on rigging this thing monetarily and are probably not even getting enough (other than brand awareness/marketing) to even be associated with the potential for fraud.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I don't think it's rigged, but using the Eastern/Western ratio doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad