GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I wouldn't say the bottom five is "locked in" but Montreal sits in 6th with an eight point cushion over the bottom group. Ottawa has played three or four less games than everyone around them and that might help them close the gap with Montreal. I think we hold to the 4th spot.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
See:

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 6

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

From your tone of posting I don't suspect you'd be optimistic of us landing Celebrini, nor do I think you'd express optimism about the rest of these prospects being great bets. I actually don't see you having interest in prospects in general. This thread just feels like a defense mechanism.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
From your tone of posting I don't suspect you'd be optimistic of us landing Celebrini, nor do I think you'd express optimism about the rest of these prospects being great bets. I actually don't see you having interest in prospects in general. This thread just feels like a defense mechanism.
I want them to lose out. Maybe one day a generational difference maker will be drafted.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Some dont want to see how insanely furtunate we were last year. Wont be long before noone can deny it though
And some of us like to b**** about how Jarmo is/was so bad at putting a team together we actually ended up better (Fantilli) off for it :laugh:

Also that fortunate statement applies to some guys drafted outside of the first round last year.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I want them to lose out. Maybe one day a generational difference maker will be drafted.
Already done. Fantilli is probably going to have a stronger career than Celebrini. If he was in last year's draft he probably would had went 4 or 5...its just this class is so much weaker/more of a defensive oriented draft than last.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Already done. Fantilli is probably going to have a stronger career than Celebrini. If he was in last year's draft he probably would had went 4 or 5...its just this class is so much weaker/more of a defensive oriented draft than last.
Celebrini is pretty darn good but they are the same tier easy which really shows how lucky we were. We got a good 1st overall level talent at 3rd, its mind boggling some people dont appreciate that.
Celebrini would have been 3/4 easily. I think you are underrating him a bit. Definitely right around Fantilli as a prospect

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And some of us like to b**** about how Jarmo is/was so bad at putting a team together we actually ended up better (Fantilli) off for it :laugh:

Also that fortunate statement applies to some guys drafted outside of the first round last year.
A question Ive wanted to ask for a bit is, is Brindley better than Moore? I get they play a different role but even when on the same team Brindley was more noticeable

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
A question Ive wanted to ask for a bit is, is Brindley better than Moore? I get they play a different role but even when on the same team Brindley was more noticeable
I am completely biased answering that, but yes I think so :laugh:

I expect Moore to be a good 2C though. If Brindley is 5’11” he’s a first rounder 100 percent.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I am completely biased answering that, but yes :laugh:
But its a legit question for me. I know @majormajor was quite fond of Moore last year before the draft (probably still is?) but it seems like Brindley gives you a lot of what Moore does + offense. Even on the same team Brindley stood out significantly moore. Is it even bias at this point?

Also does Brindleys skating seem improved this year? I didnt watch him a lot last year but reading a lot of black books scouting reports they acted like he was a poor skater for a small player and didnt have much of a future because of it

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Is it even bias at this point?
It’s possible there is bias if my favorite NCAA hockey team is Michigan.

Also Moore is like 9 months younger.
Also does Brindleys skating seem improved this year? I didnt watch him a lot last year but reading a lot of black books scouting reports they acted like he was a poor skater for a small player and didnt have much of a future because of it
I never read the black book on him, but in all the Michigan games I watched of him prior to getting drafted, I’ve never felt that way about his skating. I mean obviously I’m not an NHL scout, so I could be wrong. But I always felt his skating was good enough to put him in positions to succeed and make others better.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It’s possible there is bias if my favorite NCAA hockey team is Michigan.

I never read the black book on him, but in all the Michigan games I watched of him prior to getting drafted, I’ve never felt that way about his skating. I mean obviously I’m not an NHL scout, so I could be wrong. But I always felt his skating was good enough to put him in positions to succeed and make others better.
What makes him appealing to us is (for once!) his skating. He’s one of the best pure skaters in this whole draft. He has
quick feet, great acceleration and great top speed. He makes defenders back down because they have to respect his
speed. With this, he’ll become a penalty-killing asset. It’s one thing when you have great skating abilities, but it’s even
better when you have a good sense of anticipation and a great compete level. All of those put together will make him
an efficient penalty-killer in the NHL. Outside of skating, his compete level is his best tool. His effort level on the
forecheck and backcheck is hard to ignore. Brindley always provides a second effort, playing bigger than his size, and
playing hard, too. His pace is also exceptional and one of the best in the whole draft. For a smaller player who clearly
lacks strength, his stamina level was very good, too. Even in longer shifts, he was still going hard and his speed was not
affected.
He’s one of those players that coaches will love to have on their team. If you’re looking at what type of player Brindley is
going to be in the NHL, look no further than what he looked like during the World Juniors. Energetic, hardworking, a
speedy 3rd-line forward who can chip in some offense and be a vital player for his team defensively, with PK unit value.
It’s not a high-end projection for this player, but he’s one of those who will play for a long time because of his skating
and compete level. Brindley doesn’t play on the perimeter. He plays hard and gets involved physically, unlike someone
like Lardis as an example, who’s not as involved on the ice. Compete level is an area where Gavin excels.
“At 5’7” your skating better be elite and his skating is far from elite.” - NHL Scout, December 2022
“Good college player. Not a draft for me.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“He’s not the same player as Benson but it’s the same thing, when you are 5’7” you can’t be looking
for contact, you need to be avoiding it. I love that he is competitive but it’s not pretty when Mini
Cooper’s get hit by SUV’s. He can play on my college team anytime but I have no interest in him for
the NHL.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Really impressive at Christmas. He may have made himself a top 40 pick.” - NHL Scout, January
“He’ll play two more years at college and than be a good AHL player.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“I like him a lot. Competitive as hell. He’s in the mid 30’s on my list.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Any scout that has him top 30 isn’t thinking at all about team building.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Nice little player but he’s not a good enough skater and he’s too small.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Some team with a lot of extra picks will take a stab on him in the middle of the second.” - NHL
Scout, March 2023
“He’ll go 35th to 50 ish. Don’t think it will be us.” - NHL Scout, March 2023
“I have Barkey ahead of him. He is the same height as Brindley, younger, just ten pounds lighter and
brings more skill and hockey sense. Brindley plays a game that won’t translate at his size” - NHL
Scout, April 2023
“I admire how he plays and that he gives everything he can to make it, but sometimes it’s beyond
what the player can control because of physical limitations.” - NHL Scout, April 2023
“Love him. Not an NHL player though. He’s not a great skater but he has some quickness in the
offensive zone with cutbacks and stuff He has some escapability but the worst thing about him is
that he plays physical and he’s going to get F****** killed.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Some of it seemed out of place from what I thought I knew about the player. Wonder what those guys said about Gaudreau
I’ll tell you this. I don’t want us to rush anyone to the NHL, but if Brindley is not at least one of the final cuts next camp I will be a bit disappointed.

I think there’s even a non-zero chance that he could see a game this season.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What makes him appealing to us is (for once!) his skating. He’s one of the best pure skaters in this whole draft. He has
quick feet, great acceleration and great top speed. He makes defenders back down because they have to respect his
speed. With this, he’ll become a penalty-killing asset. It’s one thing when you have great skating abilities, but it’s even
better when you have a good sense of anticipation and a great compete level. All of those put together will make him
an efficient penalty-killer in the NHL. Outside of skating, his compete level is his best tool. His effort level on the
forecheck and backcheck is hard to ignore. Brindley always provides a second effort, playing bigger than his size, and
playing hard, too. His pace is also exceptional and one of the best in the whole draft. For a smaller player who clearly
lacks strength, his stamina level was very good, too. Even in longer shifts, he was still going hard and his speed was not
affected.
He’s one of those players that coaches will love to have on their team. If you’re looking at what type of player Brindley is
going to be in the NHL, look no further than what he looked like during the World Juniors. Energetic, hardworking, a
speedy 3rd-line forward who can chip in some offense and be a vital player for his team defensively, with PK unit value.
It’s not a high-end projection for this player, but he’s one of those who will play for a long time because of his skating
and compete level. Brindley doesn’t play on the perimeter. He plays hard and gets involved physically, unlike someone
like Lardis as an example, who’s not as involved on the ice. Compete level is an area where Gavin excels.
“At 5’7” your skating better be elite and his skating is far from elite.” - NHL Scout, December 2022
“Good college player. Not a draft for me.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“He’s not the same player as Benson but it’s the same thing, when you are 5’7” you can’t be looking
for contact, you need to be avoiding it. I love that he is competitive but it’s not pretty when Mini
Cooper’s get hit by SUV’s. He can play on my college team anytime but I have no interest in him for
“Really impressive at Christmas. He may have made himself a top 40 pick.” - NHL Scout, January
“He’ll play two more years at college and than be a good AHL player.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“I like him a lot. Competitive as hell. He’s in the mid 30’s on my list.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Any scout that has him top 30 isn’t thinking at all about team building.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Nice little player but he’s not a good enough skater and he’s too small.” - NHL Scout, January 2023
“Some team with a lot of extra picks will take a stab on him in the middle of the second.” - NHL
Scout, March 2023
“He’ll go 35th to 50 ish. Don’t think it will be us.” - NHL Scout, March 2023
“I have Barkey ahead of him. He is the same height as Brindley, younger, just ten pounds lighter and
brings more skill and hockey sense. Brindley plays a game that won’t translate at his size” - NHL
Scout, April 2023
“I admire how he plays and that he gives everything he can to make it, but sometimes it’s beyond
what the player can control because of physical limitations.” - NHL Scout, April 2023
“Love him. Not an NHL player though. He’s not a great skater but he has some quickness in the
offensive zone with cutbacks and stuff He has some escapability but the worst thing about him is
that he plays physical and he’s going to get F****** killed.
I’m confused by this post. Is this copied and pasted from somewhere? Is this your own analysis? It’s extremely contradictory either way, and mostly negative.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’m confused by this post. Is this copied and pasted from somewhere? Is this your own analysis? It’s extremely contradictory either way, and mostly negative.
Its the black book report on Brindley which is what Cowumbus and I were talking about. He said he never read it so I copy pasted

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
“He’s not the same player as Benson but it’s the same thing, when you are 5’7” you can’t be looking for contact, you need to be avoiding it."

Some of it seemed out of place from what I thought I knew about the player. Wonder what those guys said about Gaudreau

A lot of dinosaurs still out scouting huh?

I don't know if you guys are taking their concerns seriously enough. The league has had many many small players with great skill look great for a couple years and then fall apart with injuries. Johnny Gaudreau managed to avoid it because he's jumping all over the place to avoid getting wrecked. That's the way small players have to play, as the scout correctly says.

Brindley is stocky, more short than small, and for me that's a big difference. If he can keep the contact to his shoulders and not get elbowed in the head, that will save his noggin for a longer career. Danforth is a good example of a guy who can take contact and protect his head. But you have to be a thick unit to do that, and that's not for everyone.

The dinosaur scouts know what they're doing. Think about how many small guys like Tyler Johnson, Tyler Ennis, Kailer Yamamoto, etc... etc... have their best years early on and they're done early. There is this evergreen popular perception that there is a new wave of small players now, but they've been coming for a long time, a couple decades, and most of the lightweight ones don't last very long.

Reactions: tunnelvision

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't know if you guys are taking their concerns seriously enough. The league has had many many small players with great skill look great for a couple years and then fall apart with injuries. Johnny Gaudreau managed to avoid it because he's jumping all over the place to avoid getting wrecked. That's the way small players have to play, as the scout correctly says.

Brindley is stocky, more short than small, and for me that's a big difference. If he can keep the contact to his shoulders and not get elbowed in the head, that will save his noggin for a longer career. Danforth is a good example of a guy who can take contact and protect his head. But you have to be a thick unit to do that, and that's not for everyone.

The dinosaur scouts know what they're doing. Think about how many small guys like Tyler Johnson, Tyler Ennis, Kailer Yamamoto, etc... etc... have their best years early on and they're done early. There is this evergreen popular perception that there is a new wave of small players now, but they've been coming for a long time, a couple decades, and most of the lightweight ones don't last very long.
Some scouts say hes not a good enough skater, I thought his skating looks fine, that was out of place to me. Gaudreau was also a late pick so Id still be curious to see what guys like that said back then

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
The dinosaur scouts know what they're doing.
The dinosaur comment was made as a joke for comments like this:

When I watch guys like Seth Jarvis become huge pieces for really good teams. Looking at Brindley, Nazar looks the same size and went 13OA.

You can say that stuff about guys like Dumais, but Brindley is so much more of a gamer.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The dinosaur comment was made as a joke for comments like this:

When I watch guys like Seth Jarvis become huge pieces for really good teams. Looking at Brindley, Nazar looks the same size and went 13OA.

You can say that stuff about guys like Dumais, but Brindley is so much more of a gamer.

The argument in that scout's comment is closer to the opposite of what you seem to be suggesting. He wouldn't make that comment about guys like Dumais because they are contact averse players. He's saying Brindley is too physical.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
The argument in that scout's comment is closer to the opposite of what you seem to be suggesting. He wouldn't make that comment about guys like Dumais because they are contact averse players. He's saying Brindley is too physical.
“He can play on my college team anytime but I have no interest in him for the NHL”

Seth Jarvis leads the Hurricanes in hits by forwards.

Reactions: Napoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad