HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
At this point I'd even throw the 26th. Suboptimal sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
You guys are worried about the draft, and I'm out here trying to fit kent's face into his forehead.

Kents New Face.jpg

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's kind of my whole point - IQ is not exactly something you can measure. People are called "smart" players all the time but they can never put it together because at the end of the day they don't have the right kind of hockey IQ. It's too subjective.

I think hockey IQ gets way overrated. Size, skating, athleticism, competitiveness and skill buys a lot of IQ points. The best of the best are geniuses, but there are loads of average and even slightly dumb players in the show. In the end it's another trait, and there's only so much it can do.

I think the best measure of it is production, anyhow.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think hockey IQ gets way overrated. Size, skating, athleticism, competitiveness and skill buys a lot of IQ points. The best of the best are geniuses, but there are loads of average and even slightly dumb players in the show. In the end it's another trait, and there's only so much it can do.

Desire / hunger & ability to be a quick learner IMO is what accelerates hockey IQ

Hunger / willingness to learn towards continuous improvement can’t be taught

Reactions: NotProkofievian

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That's kind of my whole point - IQ is not exactly something you can measure. People are called "smart" players all the time but they can never put it together because at the end of the day they don't have the right kind of hockey IQ. It's too subjective.

G isn't subjective, it's the best tested and most reliable metric in the field of psychology. The problem is more, scouts are not really trained/permitted to evaluate it, thus are just using the subjectivity of their evaluation as a space to make career moves.

And hockey observer/fans/us are just on the receiving end of all these career moves.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
G isn't subjective, it's the best tested and most reliable metric in the field of psychology. The problem is more, scouts are not really trained/permitted to evaluate it, thus are just using the subjectivity of their evaluation as a space to make career moves.

And hockey observer/fans/us are just on the receiving end of all these career moves.

Talked to the Beaudoins in Espoo. They said Cole was given written tests on several occasions. Wouldn't doubt that they're doing psychometric evals. I remember in the interviews KK said he was shown a picture of a bus and asked which way it was going.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Athleticism is underrated, funny enough. I agree, lots of dumb players who get by based on ability alone. I don't think "high IQ" is enough to overcome a lack of athleticism unless we're talking about exceptional cases. Size, speed, strength, these are all measurable things too. Hockey IQ is not really something you can measure, because I don't even think it means the same thing to everyone.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Also maybe already cited but Pronman at the Athletic did a mock today, went with the same top 5. The Habs first four picks were Demidov (5) , Surin (26), Stiga (57), and Koivu (70).

I'd take that if that's how the draft fell.
Holy Moly. A+ draft for sure.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Talked to the Beaudoins in Espoo. They said Cole was given written tests on several occasions. Wouldn't doubt that they're doing psychometric evals. I remember in the interviews KK said he was shown a picture of a bus and asked which way it was going.

Don't think they have the right to go full on IQ-test, but I think they probably cheat on the margin.

Another good way to know is hand-eye tracking tests at the combine. Highly connected to G.
(see McDavid vs. Panthers, more frames, more processing, can do things others can't)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
These comparisons for the defenseman are hilarious. Buium is Makar just without the generational skating (skating is an area of improvement not a strength) and elite shot.

Silayev is Hedman, just you know without the offensive game.

Parekh is Karlsson, if Karlsson was offensively only his shot.

Might as well say Demidov is Lafleur. Lindstrom is Lindros. Sennecke is Lemieux.
Welcome to every signle draft. I still remember Lauri Tukonen being compared to Teemu Selanne or Chipchura the next Trevor Linden...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Don't think they have the right to go full on IQ-test, but I think they probably cheat on the margin.

Another good way to know is hand-eye tracking tests at the combine. Highly connected to G.
(see McDavid vs. Panthers, more frames, more processing, can do things others can't)

Agreed. McKenna is Another example. He is in a different timeline.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
There are a bunch of great options available. I love the trade down a few spots option... but I think teams will just roll the dice.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Athleticism is underrated, funny enough. I agree, lots of dumb players who get by based on ability alone. I don't think "high IQ" is enough to overcome a lack of athleticism unless we're talking about exceptional cases. Size, speed, strength, these are all measurable things too. Hockey IQ is not really something you can measure, because I don't even think it means the same thing to everyone.

Agreed. I think we get indirect measure of it from production. A player's got what they got, how able are they to use that to overcome the opponent? It should come out in the wash somewhere.

Reactions: SOLR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad