Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The problem with picking a F this year is that they are no Carlsson or Will Smith.

Fans are so obsessed with forward that they would rather settle for your average top 6F then for a potential top 10D in his prime.

Not a Carlsson, or a Smith. But maybe, just maybe an Iginla

Reactions: Mrb1p

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If your speculating that Buium can become one of the best skaters in the NHL or that Silayev can become a ppg player without having shown any offence then you can speculate anyone could become anything which does make it nonsense.

Its not nonsense and i haven't talked about Silayev being a PPG defenseman.

On Buium specifically, he has beaten and by a f***ing wide margin the performance of player at the same age of players like Quinn Hughes, Owen Power, Jake Sanderson, Cale Makar. He excels in all three zone.

What does a top 10D in his prime is supposed in his draft year to look like if its not Buium ?

Zayne Parekh is full of flaws, which defenseman has done what he did? What does that tell us about his potential?

Does not mean they reaches it, but the speculation, or ceiling with them knows no bound.

No forward beside Celebrini and to a lesser extent Demidov has shown this type of upside.

Why would we settle for a lesser top six forward when we could aim for a true superstar on defense?

Not a Carlsson, or a Smith. But maybe, just maybe an Iginla

I certainly won't cry if we draft Iginla. Incredible fit and will bring a lot to our line-up.

But i don't think he has top 10 at his position upside.

Buium, Parekh, Silayev have.

Does not mean they reach it. I hate Parekh flaws and floor. But we should be going for upside at 5.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Hedman's offensive potential was heavily scrutinized in advance of his draft.

Silayev set the KHL record for points by a U18 dman. He's still a very young kid...still a baby by KHL dman standards.
It's incredibly difficult for a 17/18 year old Dman to crack a KHL starting lineup, let alone the top 4.

KHL offense is reminiscent of the dead puck era, goals per game are way lower than the NHL so production is below the norm. A lot of goalies including draft elegibles have 930 or so saving percentage

So gaging Silyaev's offense and how that will go is an almost impossible task, you can simply go with the tools which we're told are there.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Its not nonsense and i haven't talked about Silayev being a PPG defenseman.
Hedman had 85 points in 82 games a couple years ago and has come close a few other times, so yes by comparing him to Hedman you are talking about a D that can go ppg.
On Buium specifically, he has beaten and by a f***ing wide margin the performance of player at the same age of players like Quinn Hughes, Owen Power, Jake Sanderson, Cale Makar. He excels in all three zone.
Becoming the next Makar isn't a question of being better then Makar was at 17.
What does a top 10D in his prime is supposed in his draft year to look like if its not Buium ?

Zayne Parekh is full of flaws, which defenseman has done what he did? What does that tell us about his potential?

Does not mean they reaches it, but the speculation, or ceiling with them knows no bound.
The point is if you want to talk about ceiling without regards to how likely they are to reach it then even 5th round picks have ceilings of being 50 goal scorers or 100 point players. If scouts thought Buium was likely to become Makar he'd be the undisputed #1 OA ahead of Celebrini.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
If Demidov is off the board on draft day, I really think we should go after the two best defensemen in the draft with our pick : BUIUM (LHD) and Dickinson (LHD).

Then, a trade seems inevitable.

BUIUM would be an upgrade on Hutson. (same offensive output but Buium is bigger and better defensively).
Dickinson would be an upgrade on Guhle (a huge one).

Or we simply draft Lindstrom... Though we don't need a another player health issues.

Wouldn't like to be in HuGo shoes...

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Is this a Haiku? :)
HAHA spelled his name wrong..

If Demidov is off the board on draft day, I really think we should go after the two best defensemen in the draft with our pick : BUIUM (LHD) and Dickinson (LHD).

Then, a trade seems inevitable.

BUIUM would be an upgrade on Hutson. (same offensive output but Buium is bigger and better defensively).
Dickinson would be an upgrade on Guhle (a huge one).

Or we simply draft Lindstrom... Though we don't need a another player health issues.

Wouldn't like to be in HuGo shoes...
ya
I wanted Lindstrom, back issues scares me
any solid recent updates on this?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Demidov is hard to project, his style is kind of unique. I don't think it will work in the NHL as is but he has exceptional skills and smarts, I think he can adapt. His highlights show he sees the game differently.
I just hope they take someone with high end hockey IQ. We need more than Suzuki to think the game on another level... Preferably someone even better.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I just hope they take someone with high end hockey IQ. We need more than Suzuki to think the game on another level... Preferably someone even better.
IQ is great but it doesn't always project to NHL success. I don't think we can afford to draft a bust in the top 5. Need to make sure at minimum you are getting a decent NHL floor out of the pick.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
IQ is great but it doesn't always project to NHL success. I don't think we can afford to draft a bust in the top 5. Need to make sure at minimum you are getting a decent NHL floor out of the pick.

What are you talking about. IQ 100% is THE most projectable capability. Mike Ribeiro, a bum with no speed, no discipline, no strength, had a long career only because of IQ.

The problem is that scouts label players as high IQ that are average at best. Show me a player that did not succeed but had "high IQ" and he either got into injury issues or was not high IQ to begin with.

Our highest IQ player right now is Matheson. Suzuki is above average, but not in the elite or he would be Sidney Crosby.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don't think it was at all, you can watch draft videos of the two if you want. Hedmans skill is evident, silayevs isn't at all. His goals are muffins.
Hedman got bashed pretty hard over his lack of production in the WJC (which is silly in any player's draft year) and questions about his offense were floating around in the months leading to his draft. Hedman would have been an easy slam dunk #1 pick if everyone knew he'd provide the kind of offense he has.

Scouts are at odds on Silayev's offensive potential. I've seen a mixed bag of reviews/quotes. Chara's offense was non-existent until several years into his NHL career. I'll never close the book on what some of these oversized teens will do once they grow into and get used to their large frames. From everything I've heard, Silayev is supposedly a terrific athlete and his game has loads of room to grow. Getting the responsibilities he had in the KHL as a 17 year old D is remarkable. He has been the #1 D on Bobby Mac's poll of NHL scouts all season.

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Another mock, for the fun of it. Demidov and Luchanko would be a heck of a first round haul IMO.
That would be sweet. Unfortunately there is zero chance Luchanko is still available at #26. He'll go in the teens...possibly in the mid-teens. It's hilarious how out of touch the RDS guys are.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
What are you talking about. IQ 100% is THE most projectable capability. Mike Ribeiro, a bum with no speed, no discipline, no strength, had a long career only because of IQ.

The problem is that scouts label players as high IQ that are average at best. Show me a player that did not succeed but had "high IQ" and he either got into injury issues or was not high IQ to begin with.

Our highest IQ player right now is Matheson. Suzuki is above average, but not in the elite or he would be Sidney Crosby.
That's kind of my whole point - IQ is not exactly something you can measure. People are called "smart" players all the time but they can never put it together because at the end of the day they don't have the right kind of hockey IQ. It's too subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad