Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It's about potential and likelyhood of hitting potential. Sennecke was a late riser and had a huge growth spurt. He may not have the pedigree of others but it's about his POTENTIAL.
Again, I’ve yet to see anyone bring up anything tangible as to why they believe he has that kind of potential because I’m not seeing it in terms of results on the ice, I’m not seeing on the stat line, I’m not seeing it in his attributes or in his play.

I’ll ask again, since you skipped over it last time: what has he done to separate himself from guys like Hage, Connelly, Luchanko, Greentree, and Boisvert, who are all rated between 16-17 to ~25-26? Thats the group he belongs with, and I’d take several of these guys over him.

Interested to hear your response to this in particular.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Again, I’ve yet to see anyone bring up anything tangible as to why they believe he has that kind of potential because I’m not seeing it in terms of results on the ice, I’m not seeing on the stat line, I’m not seeing it in his attributes or in his play.

I’ll ask again, since you skipped over it last time: what has he done to separate himself from guys like Hage, Connelly, Luchanko, Greentree, and Boisvert, who are all rated between 16-17 to ~25-26? Thats the group he belongs with, and I’d take several of these guys over him.

Interested to hear your response to this in particular.
The 44 points in his last 27 games aren’t enough in the stat line? He was leading the OHL playoffs in scoring until he got hurt. Not a lot of draft eligible players do that.

As for not seeing the potential when you actually watch him, then I don’t know what to say. You don’t see the size, hands, shot, offensive awareness?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I agree with you on this. I really like Sennecke but only if I had the 10th or 11th pick. I think his trend or movement is being pushed up a bit too much.

He's got great size and very good hands with a great shot. But yeah, I have top 6F potential with him. Very low odds he becomes a top line forward.

Very curious to see where Bob has both Iggy and Sennecke in his final rankings. In May, Iggy was 10th and Sennecke was 14th. If Sennecke has rose that much, it will be reflected on Bob's list.
I think Iginla is just a much safer prospect than Sennecke, for reasons I covered in an earlier post.

I think they have some overlap in upside (likely middle-six), but Iginla has very little bust risk and does have a decent chance to be a top line guy. Whereas Sennecke carries a significantly higher bust risk imo, and I don’t see top line upside at all.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
"The pre-draft Showcase starts today in Florida, where prospect Ivan Demidov will be present.

The Habs' management will also be there (to meet him).

Very eager to read more and also to know Demidov's exact measurements!" - Marc-Olivier Beaudoin

I read somewhere Kent was seen in Florida yesterday.
Kent was in South Beach making hoes mad :)

Best part of the draft being over is Lafleurs Guy will stop posting about Eiserman. Love ya bud
Even Cole Eiserman think LG is obsessed with Cole Eiserman :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Iginla is just a much safer prospect than Sennecke, for reasons I covered in an earlier post.

I think they have some overlap in upside (likely middle-six), but Iginla has very little bust risk and does have a decent chance to be a top line guy. Whereas Sennecke carries a significantly higher bust risk imo, and I don’t see top line upside at all.

I would say Iginla is a better pick due to what he has done at his age and his international resume is better. Sennecke was not good enough to make team Canada for the U18's last year but Iggy was good enough for the U18's this season (and performed very well too). When you are talking about fast development at that age 17 and 18, a 6 or 8 month age difference can be massive at times.

Said it before and will say it again. Iggy was 1.5 months away from being in the 2025 draft. He's one of the youngest and hottest trending prospects in this draft. That's a big factor for me. Then I add his international U18's and yeah, he's my pick. I'm probably in a small group that would consider Iggy over Demidov.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would say Iginla is a better pick due to what he has done at his age and his international resume is better. Sennecke was not good enough to make team Canada for the U18's last year but Iggy was good enough for the U18's this season (and performed very well too). When you are talking about fast development at that age 17 and 18, a 6 or 8 month age difference can be massive at times.

Said it before and will say it again. Iggy was 1.5 months away from being in the 2025 draft. He's one of the youngest and hottest trending prospects in this draft. That's a big factor for me. Then I add his international U18's and yeah, he's my pick. I'm probably in a small group that would consider Iggy over Demidov.
Sennecke was still in the CHL playoffs/injured. He would've made TC.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's no way you dont enjoy those posts. You're going to miss them.

I didn't mind them at first but you've said the same thing a hundred times over now, I don't know how you have the energy to repeat yourself on it anymore. I guess probably in the same way I'm gonna bitch and moan about missing on Lindstrom and Demidov thanks to this combine, so actually do you buddy, I get it.

Reactions: Rozz and habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sennecke was still in the CHL playoffs/injured. He would've made TC.

That was the 2023 U18's right? Thanks for pointing that out because I overlooked it. I do value the international sample sizes. Not going with it entirely and ignoring everything else but it does give you an alternative angle to evaluate. Sucks that we don't have that with both Lindstrom and Sennecke.

Where do you think Bob has both Iggy and Sennecke next week in his final rankings or do you care? I believe in May, Iggy was 10th and Sennecke was 14th.

I find it strange where I do not see Sennecke in most top 10 lists. If there are some, I'd like to see it shared. I totally see what kind of player he is. Not low on him, just higher with others. With Iggy, there are some who have him in the 5-10 range.

Between the two, who do you think has taken advantage of weak CHL D or breakdowns more? Who has the better support system in terms of the team and depth they have? I find this is something to dig into because of how much of a jump it is from CHL to pro. So many of these guys we like pre draft end up drowning.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That was the 2023 U18's right? Thanks for pointing that out because I overlooked it. I do value the international sample sizes. Not going with it entirely and ignoring everything else but it does give you an alternative angle to evaluate. Sucks that we don't have that with both Lindstrom and Sennecke.

Where do you think Bob has both Iggy and Sennecke next week in his final rankings or do you care? I believe in May, Iggy was 10th and Sennecke was 14th.

I find it strange where I do not seen Sennecke is most top 10 lists. If there are some, I'd like to see it shared. I totally see what kind of player he is. Not low on him, just higher with others. With Iggy, there are some who have him in the 5-10 range.

Sennecke played in the u17s in 2023, as did Iginla. Beckett was eligible for the 2024 u18s but TC always loses a few players to the CHL playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sennecke played in the u17s in 2023, as did Iginla. Beckett was eligible for the 2024 u18s but TC always loses a few players to the CHL playoffs.

For some reason, I thought his birthdate was in December and turned 18 then. Would you agree that Iginla had a better U17's?

Who are you taking between Iggy, Sennecke, Catton?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't mind them at first but you've said the same thing a hundred times over now, I don't know how you have the energy to repeat yourself on it anymore. I guess probably in the same way I'm gonna bitch and moan about missing on Lindstrom and Demidov thanks to this combine, so actually do you buddy, I get it.
1. I like poking the bear on an unpopular player that I think is being overly dissed.

2. I think it's kinda funny to see people talk about how proven (insert their favourite player here) is vs another one who's unproven... while a guy with the most goals ever is outside the top ten. My point was simply that there are other factors that scouts are taking into consideration. Senneke may not have the resume of some - but he has other factors they're looking at. No other example is more clear than Eiserman. Tons of stats but red flags.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Luckily I won’t freak out if we pick any of
Lindstrom
Demidov
Iggy
Sennecke
Buium
Dickinson
Parekh
Catton
As I’m not delusional enough to think I know better than a full team of professional scouts with way more info than us.

If we pick Eiserman tho...
I will unleash fury unlike HFBoards has never seen before.

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino and Rozz

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Let me give you a potential scout breakdown and you play GM.

Buium will be a good top 4D at min. Iggy will be a top 6F at min. Iggy has the better chance to be a top line forward vs Buium being a top pairing defenseman.

Top 4D's are worth more than top 6F. Would you agree? If so, how do you manage your decision where the top 6F has a higher chance to reach top line vs the top 4D reaching top pairing.

How do you make your decision with your BPA strategy? Explain
Actually, if that thought process is exactly as you described...either one could be BPA. No doubt. Nobody would ever dream to say that going with Iginla instaed of Buium was going against BPA. While, for the Habs, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to say that going for Buium instead of Iginla was not BPA especially since of all the lefties we have.

BPA doesn't give you EXACTLY the name of the guy you HAVE to pick. BPA is mostly what NEEDS isn't.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Let's save the MB stuff for another thread.

I like where going now. High picks, trading for prospects, good development... exactly what we've been clamouring for. At a minimum, there's a plan in place and they're committed to it. We haven't had that in forever.
good
this is all about the prospects that are now

Best part of the draft being over is Lafleurs Guy will stop posting about Eiserman. Love ya bud
and me about Lidstorm lol

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Tell me what he’s done to separate himself from guys like Connelly, Hage, Luchanko, Greentree, Boisvert, etc, all of whom are ranked by most lists in the 16-17 to ~25 range. I’d take a few of guys over Sennecke no problem. Those are his cohorts, not Iginla, Catton, Eiserman - and certainly not Lindstrom or Demidov.
Sennecke is the bet that a 6'3 and growing could bring with him the skills that a 5'10 guy usually have. Sennecke is also the guy who improved his offensive numbers by a lot from January.

While not MY pick, Sennecke would NO CONTEST, be the prospect that will be the most interesting to follow for all those reasons.

What he does have that the others you named doesn't have? Well....Connolly, it has to NOT do with hockey....Hage? I'd agree with you. While the other 3, and I'm a fan of the other 3....have deficiencies that he doesn't have. Luchanko doesn't strike me as a guy who could be top 6. Same with Boisvert who could be a formidable No3 C. Greentree? Skating. IQ. But we have to respect his points.

for Sennecke, there are 2 concerning things....hopefully he'll use his body to be more physical. And...doesn't matter that he improved his stats in January, it didn't happen a lot in the history of drafts that a player got around the same number of points, back to back year...and be succesful top 6 player. Mind you...the whole growing thing might explain why.

But somehow, while we love to shout who is the product of...somehow...nobody does that with him and his pairing with Calum Ritchie that also incidentally was the reason why he improved his points from January.

So in essence...does is the risk worth it? Or could you be satisfied with a 47-goal scorer like Iginla who brings everything on the table that you want your team to play like.

Reactions: bopeep

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sennecke is the bet that a 6'3 and growing could bring with him the skills that a 5'10 guy usually have. Sennecke is also the guy who improved his offensive numbers by a lot from January.

While not MY pick, Sennecke would NO CONTEST, be the prospect that will be the most interesting to follow for all those reasons.

What he does have that the others you named doesn't have? Well....Connolly, it has to NOT do with hockey....Hage? I'd agree with you. While the other 3, and I'm a fan of the other 3....have deficiencies that he doesn't have. Luchanko doesn't strike me as a guy who could be top 6. Same with Boisvert who could be a formidable No3 C. Greentree? Skating. IQ. But we have to respect his points.

for Sennecke, there are 2 concerning things....hopefully he'll use his body to be more physical. And...doesn't matter that he improved his stats in January, it didn't happen a lot in the history of drafts that a player got around the same number of points, back to back year...and be succesful top 6 player. Mind you...the whole growing thing might explain why.

But somehow, while we love to shout who is the product of...somehow...nobody does that with him and his pairing with Calum Ritchie that also incidentally was the reason why he improved his points from January.

So in essence...does is the risk worth it? Or could you be satisfied with a 47-goal scorer like Iginla who brings everything on the table that you want your team to play like.

That's what it all comes down to as far as I'm concerned.

If we were Buffalo with tons of really, really good forward prospects, I'd be hell... why not just throw the dice on this one and see if he turns out special. It might still not be my pick to do so, but I'd at least GET the train of thought.

In the situation we're in though? Just play the odds man. This pick not panning out could single-handedly ruin the rebuild. We MUST score a guy who's likely to reach his potential here.

If it's not a forward, well draft the best D available and then manage the assets and use your surplus to fix a weakness.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I hate to agree with McCagg...but Vanacker with the end of our 1st round pick? Yeah, I'm in. Kid will be insane to play against. A Lehkonen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad