• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The man should have been arrested after the 2015 deadline. Has the league’s MVP in net, 1st in goals against in the entire league, 18th in goals for. Who does he acquire up front? Devante Smith-Pelly, Brian Flynn and Torrey Mitchell.
Yes they should have done anything they could to bring ROR

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Sennecke is much riskier than all these guys and he has by far the lowest upside. I’ve never seen so much hype for such a run of the mill, mid to late first round quality prospect.
His ceiling is much higher than Catton and Iginla.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sennecke is much riskier than all these guys and he has by far the lowest upside. I’ve never seen so much hype for such a run of the mill, mid to late first round quality prospect.

So sennecke is your most risky prospect of that bunch, who is your least risky?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Based on what?

He can’t have ‘’by far the lowest upside’’ when he’s, more complete offensively than Iginla, probably top 2 hands in the draft, better playmaker/puckhandler, better size/reach.

You said yourself that Iginla plays a ‘’meat and potatoes’’ type of game. You can’t say that and turn around and try to say Sennecke has a lower ceiling/upside.

In terms skills Catton has the abilities but if both gets to their ceiling, Sennecke has other advantage to his game you’d take over Catton, like the size advantage, plays on the boards, ect.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
So sennecke is your most risky prospect of that bunch, who is your least risky?
Iginla. He plays a meat and potatoes type of game, does all the little things well, is well rounded, plays the most pro-style game of the group while being the youngest. He also has gotten advice and guidance from one of the all time greats every day of his life since he put on skates.

Reactions: SOLR

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm happy to select Dickinson if we take Matheson and blast him into outer space trade him for a top 6
If they take Dickinson imagine Matheson be traded for another pick in top 15. Take Catton, Sennecke or Eiserman. Whomever is still available.

Be good first round draft Dickinson, Sennecke and Stiga.

Use the caproom saved to sign a UFA. DeBrusk?

Reactions: ElQuebecois and BXN

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He can’t have ‘’by far the lowest upside’’ when he’s, more complete offensively than Iginla, probably top 2 hands in the draft, better playmaker/puckhandler, better size/reach. Iginla doesn’t have the same type of ceiling.

In terms skills Catton has the abilities but if both gets to their ceiling, Sennecke has other advantage to his game you’d take over Catton, like the size advantage, plays on the boards, ect.
None of this except for size is based on anything tangible. It’s just your opinion, and again, I have to question how you’ve come to that because it certainly isn’t based on results on the ice.

His 4 more assists, less goals, less points per game makes him “more complete offensively than Iginla”? How so? I’d really like an explanation that isn’t just you saying so.

And before you go off, yes stats are a huge part of the equation. Always have been, always will be.

He’s “bigger” than Iginla, but he’s weaker, slower, less explosive, less physical, and plays a perimeter game, and he’s significantly older. He’s also worse defensively, among a number of other things.

As for Catton, there is not a single thing that Sennecke does better, or even as good. He’s worse in every way, except size.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Iginla. He plays a meat and potatoes type of game, does all the little things well, is well rounded, plays the most pro-style game of the group while being the youngest. He also has gotten advice and guidance from one of the all time greats every day of his life since he put on skates.

I agree about Iginla. How about the ones in between?

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
I have some doubts on Iginla not really the player himself, one of the youngest of the draft and a lot of qualities, but the way he was prepare before he hit the draft. Versus others, he already have pro player habits in training and nutrition.

Like every father does, Jarome have give every tips he can to his son to maximize his success and the kid have do is work. Others have a untapped potential on that part because they have not a maximize training schedule and nutrition like TJ should have since years!

Not everyone will bought that stuff even with the knowledge but some will do and this can change a lot of things for some prospects who will gain from that! On the other side, you already know TJ have that kind of habit, he will keep it and became better on every level he can over the time; the commitment is there and it's something you can buy!

----------

They will not look at that option but Catton can be a very nice pick. Without becoming an generationnal player he can became something special. One of the threat every great players who has skate on a NHL ice have is the commitment to improve their game, they are never be good enough, practice more than others, learn from others, first and last on the ice; Catton have that, he is a student of the game; he eat, drink, sleep hockey! He will not be the first if he can make it in the big show but if he do, he can be a very good one!

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Omg now I have read it all. Now having pro preparation is bad. Now being trained by an all time great is a red flag.

It reminds me of people not wanting to draft big, strong, athletic kids because they either won't have that advantage in the NHL or the scrawny wimp has perceived untapped potential. Only the scrawny wimp will be scrawny and wimpier in the NHL, and the NHL is full of strong and athletic people.

It's an advantage. Let's not be the smartest guys in the room trying to turn every advantage into a reason why someone's going to bust.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

And you know this based exactly on what??

The ceiling thing gets annoying when it is declared as an irrefutable fact. What does ceiling really mean, the common fan thinks it is about offensive production when imo it is about overall impact on a game.

It is just way too subjective to use when comparing three prospects who all have a ton of potential to try and isolate one of them as the clearly having the highest ceiling.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Button`s latest mock draft:
The Montreal Canadiens hold the fifth-overall selection for the second straight year and Button takes Medicine Hat Tigers centre Cayden Lindstrom.

“He’s an imposing figure on the ice,” Button explained. “He can do it with skill, he can do it with will, he can do it with physical play. You’re not going to be able to deny Cayden Lindstrom when he gets going in a game…he reminds me so much of J.T. Miller.”

Reactions: Habssince89

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Omg now I have read it all. Now having pro preparation is bad. Now being trained by an all time great is a red flag.

It reminds me of people not wanting to draft big, strong, athletic kids because they either won't have that advantage in the NHL or the scrawny wimp has perceived untapped potential. Only the scrawny wimp will be scrawny and wimpier in the NHL, and the NHL is full of strong and athletic people.

It's an advantage. Let's not be the smartest guys in the room trying to turn every advantage into a reason why someone's going to bust.
If only scrawny wimp Patrick Kane and scrawny wimp Nikita Kucherov could've been more like big, strong, athletic Josh Anderson and Joel Armia.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Thank you for your contribution Rene.
99% of this audience either won’t recognize or care about your strained reference to a former IIHF president. It’s hardly relevant to anything either — Russian hockey players haven’t been allowed access to an equal platform, so it’s undeniable their draft eligible prospects are likely under-exposed and under-rated as a result. THAT is entirely relevant to the draft discussion.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Whats risky about Demidov ?

Sennecke

Lindstrom (Injury related only)

No risk but you gotta rank them anyway
Catton
Demidov
Iginla

Demidov is a small injured Russian with no record either internationally (not his fault), or professionally (somewhat his fault). The profile caries some risk.

Reactions: Naslund

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
LOL.

I'll give you Iginla, maybe if you want to ignore that Iginla has the 2nd best shot and goalscoring instincts in the whole draft and Sennecke is like mid range, what ever.

But Catton ? Come on. Galaxy braining this.

Demidov is a small injured Russian with no record either internationally (not his fault), or professionally (somewhat his fault). The profile caries some risk.
Neither are his fault, and the profile carries risk only if you ram your head in a wall and stay stuck in there. His talent does not exist outside of our reality even if he has only played in the MHL. He is still by far one, if not the most talented player in this draft. The only risk assessed here is his knee injury, but knees aren't lower backs, they carry a lot less risk of complication than a back in jury.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Neither are his fault, and the profile carries risk only if you ram your head in a wall and stay stuck in there. His talent does not exist outside of our reality even if he has only played in the MHL. He is still by far one, if not the most talented player in this draft. The only risk assessed here is his knee injury, but knees aren't lower backs, they carry a lot less risk of complication than a back in jury.

Lots of unbelievably skilled players have busted or under delivered. I don't question his talent level at all.

Risk is risk, if you didn't observe a result you can't just assume that it would've gone amazingly. It's an unknown. Oh, and he's not a great skater.

I do love these last weeks before a draft. Players are all sure things and busts and everyone's an idiot for disagreeing.

Reactions: Naslund

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Demidov is incredibly skilled and exciting, but over my last 25 years of watching kids being drafted into NHL teams, I have seen my fair share of skilled and exciting forwards busting in the NHL. Demidov is smallish, not overly physical, not the fastest, and I don't see him blasting one-timers over the ice in the videos I have seen. There are plenty of risks with that player. On the flip side, he may very well become a star.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No chance whatsoever they trade down.

I am not sure about that. I would just take Iggy 5th but the other part I wonder about is how high they are with Sennecke, Catton, and Eiserman. If the Habs trade down with the 5th and then use the additional asset to trade up with the 26th, they could end up getting two of Iggy, Sennecke, Catton, Eiserman.

Sorry, I don't believe in zero probability

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad