• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Bob has it sewn up if the Cat’s win
Barking has effectively shutdown almost everyone he’s matched up against. As in 0 goals against 5v5 in every round. It’s wild. I think this will be Ryan Oreilly with the Blues all over again

Watching the Kings, I think Danault’s performance was overstated a bit. He played his part, but clearly it had more to do with Carey Price and the top 4 defence.
He played his part with the kings but he was Carbo 2.0 with the habs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Stopping all the big players on the other side. Barkov has a lot less points than McDavid but he's certainly has useful.
Barkov has 21pts in 21gp. He’s PPG in the playoffs.

Few-Points Danault had 4pts in 22gp in that Finals run, and 1 in 5 just this year.

Incomparable players and performances. Like it is impossible to talk about them in the same sentence. And yet…

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Few-Points Danault had 4pts in 22gp in that Finals run, and 1 in 5 just this year.

Incomparable players and performances. Like it is impossible to talk about them in the same sentence. And yet…

You are making a point I wasn't making yet again. Love to waste your time don't you.

The argument was about players who are more valuable during the playoffs vs. regular season. Danault is one. Lafreniere always elevates.

The point was made that there is no such thing as players who play better under pressure.

Sam Reinhart is another.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Barking has effectively shutdown almost everyone he’s matched up against. As in 0 goals against 5v5 in every round. It’s wild. I think this will be Ryan Oreilly with the Blues all over again
McDavid has consistently set up chances. Those chances were stopped by the goalie.

I’m not saying Barkov doesn’t deserve credit but ultimately it’s the goalie who’s blanked the Oilers, not Barkov.

The Dannault/Price comparison is a good one. Dannault played really well defensively. Props to him. But he wasn’t better than Price was. At the end of the day, a crazy goalie makes everyone look better.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
You are making a point I wasn't making yet again. Love to waste your time don't you.

The argument was about players who are more valuable during the playoffs vs. regular season. Danault is one. Lafreniere always elevates.
Danault doesn’t elevate his game. He’s significantly worse in the playoffs — 4pts in 22gp is very bad for a top6 C and contributed to the Habs losing the Finals. No one scored. Danault couldn’t shut down the Bolts either. Totally incapable of stepping up.
The point was made that there is no such thing as players who play better under pressure.

Sam Reinhart is another.
It’s a nonsense argument — your inability to justify or support your argument proves it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Wasn't the conversation about shutdown ability? Not all around game and offense provided? Danault was that good for us in that run. I wouldn't get all twisted on comparing the D side between the two.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Watching the Kings, I think Danault’s performance was overstated a bit. He played his part, but clearly it had more to do with Carey Price and the top 4 defence.

I think it all goes hand and hand. Price, Top 4D, Danault. They all needed each other. Of course Price was the best piece but he needed both that top 4D and Danault. I thought that we had a match-up advantage with the Leafs, Jets, Knights but against the Lightning, we didn't. Cooper nullified a lot of good things we did in the previous series with his stars/depth.

When someone like MacKinnon talks about Danault's impact on D, you don't ignore it or try to undersell it because we had Price

"Danault. Such a good centreman, it's hard to get space on him. I don't know if he's in Selke talks but he should be, hopefully he wins one. Good vs everyone not just me." - Nate, from latest Spittin’ Chiclets episode.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Wasn't the conversation about shutdown ability? Not all around game and offense provided? Danault was that good for us in that run. I wouldn't get all twisted on comparing the D side between the two.
As far as I followed, the conversation was about playoff performance and how it relates to regular season performance. SOLR alleged some players *play better* in the playoffs (which is a preposterous argument if you think about it) and then cited Philip Danault, a player who underproduces and significantly declines in his two way game in the playoffs.

How this relates to the 2024 NHL Draft… I don’t know. Probably more of the “My Guy has intangibles, your Guy is a big stupid goof” style arguments we get to at this point of the pre-draft period.

I think it all goes hand and hand. Price, Top 4D, Danault. They all needed each other. Of course Price was the best piece but he needed both that top 4D and Danault.

When someone like MacKinnon talks about Danault's impact on D, you don't ignore it or try to undersell it because we had Price

"Danault. Such a good centreman, it's hard to get space on him. I don't know if he's in Selke talks but he should be, hopefully he wins one. Good vs everyone not just me." - Nate, from latest Spittin’ Chiclets episode.
We needed Danault to step up and he failed to do so. 4pts in 22gp, brutal, simply brutal. If only he had an even below average two-way game.

It’s cool he can shut players down but he didn’t do that in the Finals either. Maybe he was injured. God knows.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dickinson might not even be the best left blueliner in the draft….

Again, I get it it’s for Levshunov. But it’s not happening for a LD.

Scott Wheeler just did a scout/players poll too

Here's some excerpts relevant to the topic and our pick.

Wheeler - I settled on this: “Which of the big six D in the class (Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Zayne Parekh, Sam Dickinson, Anton Silayev and Carter Yakemchuk) do you like the best and least?”

Levshunov received the majority of votes as the best D in the class and Yakemchuk received the majority of votes as the sixth D in the group. But it wasn’t unanimous, with Parekh and Silayev also receiving votes at No. 1, and Dickinson also receiving votes at No. 6. Buium was the only D not to garner a vote in either of the two categories, a testament to the view that while he may not be seen as the top prospect in the group, scouts are high on him.

Scout 5: I only know Parekh and Dickinson best. I’ve seen video on Buium, Levshunov and Yakemchuk. Buium looks well-rounded. Levshunov like his physical play. Yakemchuk like his skill.

Parekh or Dickinson?

Parekh.

Why?

(Dickinson’s) not going to be as offensive at the next level but he has that shot that will be used on the PP. Solid defensively. High floor, don’t think his ceiling is as high. He’ll be a 3-4 while others will be 1-2. But it won’t surprise me if he goes ahead of Parekh. Among his peers, Dickinson is more highly thought of than Parekh.

Scout 7: It’s a spicy question as I’m really high on all six. But ironically I’d rank them in the exact order you laid out: Levshunov, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Silayev, Yakemchuk.

Scout 8: Best: Parekh. Least: Yakemchuk.

Scout 9: Top I’d have Silayev and bottom would be Dickinson.

Scout 10: Most: Parekh and Silayev. Least: Dickinson. I (also) like Solberg very much.

Scout 16: Best: Dickinson. Least: Yakemchuk.

Scout 17: Best: Levshunov. Least: Dickinson.

All are exceptional talents. Lev took big strides and was able to change his game from start to end of season. Feels like he’s still a long ways from his potential.

Dickinson not based on ability, just in his potential to be a star seems less likely than the others.

Though the scout’s survey changes with each class, I’ve been asking the players the same question in their survey for years: “Who is the most talented non-teammate you’ve played against in this class? Not necessarily the best player, but strictly the most talented.”

1. Macklin Celebrini (23)
2. Berkly Catton (12)
3. Beckett Sennecke (8)
4. Cole Eiserman (5)
T5. Michael Hage, Trevor Connelly (4)
T7. Tij Iginla, Zayne Parekh, Konsta Helenius, Carter Yakemchuk (3)
T11. Ivan Demidov, Cayden Lindstrom, Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Sam Dickinson, Jett Luchanko (2)
T17. Maxim Massé, Alexander Zetterberg, Emil Hemming, Mac Swanson, Lucas Pettersson, Dominik Badinka, Kevin He (1)

Sam Dickinson on former Toronto Marlboros teammate and current OHL opponent Beckett Sennecke: “The thing for Beckett is he’s just wickedly creative. When he’s got the puck on his stick, you never really know what he can do but he can basically pull off any move in the book. You’ve got to play him tight and play him hard because you know that if you give him that inch of space he’ll make you pay and he’s going to put it into the back of the net or make you look silly.”

Former Toronto Marlboros head coach Justin Donati on Sennecke: “He has always been an offensive player. He can be a high-end guy in the NHL. And he’s still growing into his body. He was 5-foot-9 in his OHL draft year, he was 6 feet last year, and he’s 6-3 now. So in two years, he’s put on six inches. But he’s got high-end skill.”

OHL coach on Sennecke: “Sigh. He definitely has the potential. There are some special, special qualities about him and it’s just can he break some of the habits that he continues to do? Just so much straight-up one-on-one play. And I’m not opposed to one-on-one but it can’t be straight up, you’ve got to be attacking on angles and not trying to beat a guy with straight stick skills.”

OHL GM on Dickinson: “Dickinson will fall off. His IQ is questionable and he gets the London bump. Protected with the quality of team.”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We needed Danault to step up and he failed to do so. 4pts in 22gp, brutal, simply brutal. If only he had an even below average two-way game.

It’s cool he can shut players down but he didn’t do that in the Finals either. Maybe he was injured. God knows.

Nah, our coach was obsessively using Danault in a defense first role. Not the same usage as Barkov. Barkov's D is a different kind of strength.

* Danault's corsi was 51% and he had 64% of D zone starts.
* Barkov's corsi is 62% and he has 44% of D zone starts.

You need to consider usage, type of player, and what the coach wants them to do. Danault filled his role perfectly. Asking him to step up offensively is a reach and bad coaching. He did have a key assist to Lehkonen's clinching goal against the Knights ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and dcyhabs

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014

Wheeler - I settled on this: “Which of the big six D in the class (Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Zayne Parekh, Sam Dickinson, Anton Silayev and Carter Yakemchuk) do you like the best and least?”

Levshunov received the majority of votes as the best D in the class and Yakemchuk received the majority of votes as the sixth D in the group. But it wasn’t unanimous, with Parekh and Silayev also receiving votes at No. 1, and Dickinson also receiving votes at No. 6. Buium was the only D not to garner a vote in either of the two categories, a testament to the view that while he may not be seen as the top prospect in the group, scouts are high on him.

Scout 5: I only know Parekh and Dickinson best. I’ve seen video on Buium, Levshunov and Yakemchuk. Buium looks well-rounded. Levshunov like his physical play. Yakemchuk like his skill.

Parekh or Dickinson?

Parekh.

Why?

(Dickinson’s) not going to be as offensive at the next level but he has that shot that will be used on the PP. Solid defensively. High floor, don’t think his ceiling is as high. He’ll be a 3-4 while others will be 1-2. But it won’t surprise me if he goes ahead of Parekh. Among his peers, Dickinson is more highly thought of than Parekh.

Scout 7: It’s a spicy question as I’m really high on all six. But ironically I’d rank them in the exact order you laid out: Levshunov, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Silayev, Yakemchuk.

Scout 10: Most: Parekh and Silayev. Least: Dickinson. I (also) like Solberg very much.

All are exceptional talents. Lev took big strides and was able to change his game from start to end of season. Feels like he’s still a long ways from his potential.

Dickinson not based on ability, just in his potential to be a star seems less likely than the others.

Though the scout’s survey changes with each class, I’ve been asking the players the same question in their survey for years: “Who is the most talented non-teammate you’ve played against in this class? Not necessarily the best player, but strictly the most talented.”

2. Berkly Catton (12)
3. Beckett Sennecke (8)
4. Cole Eiserman (5)
T11. Ivan Demidov, Cayden Lindstrom, Artyom Levshunov, Zeev Buium, Sam Dickinson, Jett Luchanko (2)
T17. Maxim Massé, Alexander Zetterberg, Emil Hemming, Mac Swanson, Lucas Pettersson, Dominik Badinka, Kevin He (1)

Sam Dickinson on former Toronto Marlboros teammate and current OHL opponent Beckett Sennecke: “The thing for Beckett is he’s just wickedly creative. When he’s got the puck on his stick, you never really know what he can do but he can basically pull off any move in the book. You’ve got to play him tight and play him hard because you know that if you give him that inch of space he’ll make you pay and he’s going to put it into the back of the net or make you look silly.”

Former Toronto Marlboros head coach Justin Donati on Sennecke: “He has always been an offensive player. He can be a high-end guy in the NHL. And he’s still growing into his body. He was 5-foot-9 in his OHL draft year, he was 6 feet last year, and he’s 6-3 now. So in two years, he’s put on six inches. But he’s got high-end skill.”

OHL coach on Sennecke: “Sigh. He definitely has the potential. There are some special, special qualities about him and it’s just can he break some of the habits that he continues to do? Just so much straight-up one-on-one play. And I’m not opposed to one-on-one but it can’t be straight up, you’ve got to be attacking on angles and not trying to beat a guy with straight stick skills.”

OHL GM on Dickinson: “Dickinson will fall off. His IQ is questionable and he gets the London bump. Protected with the quality of team.”
Could you please not post draft information in the draft thread as it's currently being used to discuss tired, old playoff performances. Thanks in advance, HF board management

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Even though Cooley is gonna be a good player in his own right, it is nice that we were able to fill a slot at the top of our lineup with a profile like Slafs. You can always add to that with a guy like Lindstrom who is similar but it would be tougher to add someone like Catton to a Cooley or Benson.

It seems almost every year there's a super skilled player like that who everyone falls in love with that ends up dropping to lower in the top 10 to 15ish. I don't think we will be picking this high again for a while but there is a chance we could be around that 10-15 spot so maybe we can still grab a player like that in the future.

Reactions: Rozz and montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Carbo was a two-way player. Danault is not a two-way player.

If Carbo was a two way player, so is Danault. The issue some have with Danault is how he sneaked his way to becoming a solid 2 way center in the 2nd half of his prime years. Same issue some have with Matheson right now. They see who he was and can't believe who he has become in his later 20's.

Danault is 70th in pts/game over the last 239 games with the Kings (min 50 games played for centers). His prorated stats during his time with the Kings is 0.64. That prorates to 53 pts in a 82 game season. ROR during this same span was at 0.74 pts/game.

Sorry bud but Danault is a two way center. With the Habs, we started him 60+% of the time in the D zone. With the Kings, it's more like 50-55%. This is why his point and goal totals have increased a bit with the Kings.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Danault doesn’t elevate his game. He’s significantly worse in the playoffs — 4pts in 22gp is very bad for a top6 C and contributed to the Habs losing the Finals. No one scored. Danault couldn’t shut down the Bolts either. Totally incapable of stepping up.

It’s a nonsense argument — your inability to justify or support your argument proves it.

Yeah everything about hockey is points. Teams don't win either, just star players. Right.

"He couldn't shut down the bolts either"

LOL wow.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Sam Reinhart is another.
I never said some players don't elevate their games in the POs. I made the point these players don't answer to an archetype.

It's a lot more psychological than it is about centimeters.

Funny enough, the origin of this topic was simply Mrb1p staying there is no specific player archetype that guarantees playoff success. I think he was misinterpreted, and now we've gone off the tracks.
They're testing me with that Danault shit

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Parekh or Dickinson?

Parekh.

Why?

2. Berkly Catton (12)
3. Beckett Sennecke (8)
4. Cole Eiserman (5)

That's some great info. The opinions on the dmen really are all over the map. It's stressful for me to read and think about this decision.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
That's some great info. The opinions on the dmen really are all over the map. It's stressful for me to read and think about this decision.
In regards to all the draftees, forward and defence, depending on the style of play your team utilizes or wants to implement in the near future will determine the right draft pick for the job. Same as most years if there's no clear cut BPA.

If you need a more defensive aware D man, you take Dickinson. If you need an offensive D man, you take Parekh. Same thing with the forwards....skill and slickness, a Demidov or Catton. Tough to compete against, Lindstrom or Iggy. That sort of ideology.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00