• Konsta Helenius

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 65 16.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Don't worry, I've had posters here literally try to educate me on what I do for a living. It's the nature of the internet, I get a good chuckle out of it and try not to flash my credentials as it's not worth it. That said, so many MDs on these boards. I know of at least 5 on HF. Maybe that's the issue with HFhabs :sarcasm:
Great humility often goes hand in hand with expertise (and vice versa). Many of the physicians I work with are very circumspect in the manner that characterizes you as well, to your credit.

• Love
Reactions: Andrei79

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's no point being hysterical about a herniated disk if we don't know the severity or the location.

It's as vague as the term 'ligament injury'.

Could mean anything or nothing.
Yeah but you'd much rather draft a player who doesn't have one. :dunno:
We already know after Celebrini anything can happen and the scouts are all over the place.
How much better will Lindstrom have to be perceived to take a chance on him over one of the other players who is in that same tier?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Don't worry, I've had posters here literally try to educate me on what I do for a living. It's the nature of the internet, I get a good chuckle out of it and try not to flash my credentials as it's not worth it. That said, so many MDs on these boards. I know of at least 5 on HF. Maybe that's the issue with HFhabs :sarcasm:

I know only of @Harry22

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I am an ER physician and let me tell you that an lumbar herniated disc, with or without surgery, can cause problems to even do basic life stuff like walking and lying down.

A hockey player that is already sidelined at 18 and that misses almost half a season because of it is a very, very bad sign.

Possible career ending kind of problem for a hockey player. I'd not gamble it at #5, especially in a loaded draft with a lot of nice options.
He missed half the season after injuring his hand in practice and having hand surgery. His back issue came to light when he returned.

Lots of posters who don't follow the top prospects closely all year come in here seemingly knowing everything as we get closer to the draft. It must be frustrating to have people showing up your ER who know everything about their issue because of what they read on their phone in the waiting room.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Lots of talk about Lindstrom's back but nobody seems concerned about Demidov's knee that ended his season and that he traveled to Miami to have evaluated last week.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He missed half the season after injuring his hand in practice and having hand surgery. His back issue came to light when he returned.

Lots of posters who don't follow the top prospects closely all year come in here seemingly knowing everything as we get closer to the draft. It must be frustrating to have people showing up your ER who know everything about their issue because of what they read on their phone in the waiting room.
Pronman is the first one who said his back problem is in fact a herniated disk. Before all we heard is he had a "back injury". The back was always the big concern, nobody cared about the healing of the hand, really.

He didn't go to U18 because of it.

"Lindstrom had dealt with multiple injuries in the second half of the season. He broke a hand in the middle of the season, and has also been dealing with symptoms of a back injury. Lindstrom returned in time for Game 1 of Medicine Hat’s playoff opener but looked off in the series."

If that is true and those back issues are indeed related to that kind of injury, all I am saying is it is certainly concerning if you plan to make the guy your top pick in what looks to be a very good draft.

Like I said, I wish the best to the kid.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Pronman is the first one who said his back problem is in fact a herniated disk. Before all we heard is he had a "back injury". The back was always the big concern, nobody cared about the healing of the hand, really.

He didn't go to U18 because of it.

"Lindstrom had dealt with multiple injuries in the second half of the season. He broke a hand in the middle of the season, and has also been dealing with symptoms of a back injury. Lindstrom returned in time for Game 1 of Medicine Hat’s playoff opener but looked off in the series."

If that is true and those back issues are indeed related to that kind of injury, all I am saying is it is certainly concerning if you plan to make the guy your top pick in what looks to be a very good draft.

Like I said, I wish the best to the kid.
Go safe and pick Iginla if it’s worrisome

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If Anaheim is really on Sennecke or Yakemchuk, we must swap pick with them and secure Lindstrom. Perfect for both teams

Reactions: Rozz

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Lots of talk about Lindstrom's back but nobody seems concerned about Demidov's knee that ended his season and that he traveled to Miami to have evaluated last week.
Demidov did not need surgery, which means in all likelihood it was a sprain, not a ruptured ligament or a big meniscal injury. This is good.

Even when hockey players get a knee ligament/meniscal surgery (like Dach, Galchenyuk or Jiricek, for example) they more often than not can still have good careers after a long rehab (6+ months)... Tougher for goalies, though.

Herniated discs unfortunately often lead to reoccurring pain episodes and limitations and many careers ended because of them.

Go safe and pick Iginla if it’s worrisome
At #5, there will be many good young players available.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Wait hold on what ??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
An expert in the field said that in an article. He would tell people to do stretching and physio because he couldn’t see anything structurally wrong. Patients would bitch and say they would see another doctor to get an operation. He would throw up his hands and do the typical operation, really just randomly mess with stuff. Some patients would get better, some would stay the same, some would get worse.

The article came out several years ago. I hope it is better now. In any case, if it’s an option do the stretching and physio.

At this rate, let me say that I've heard rumors of Stian Solberg at 3 to Anaheim.

Why not? :popcorn:
Who cares about hockey, he aced the combine.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So Lindstrom has a bad back, Demidov has a bad knee and Sennecke skates like Bambi and is Kotkaniemi 2.0

Defenseman it is then.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am an ER physician and let me tell you that an lumbar herniated disc, with or without surgery, can cause problems to even do basic life stuff like walking and lying down.

A hockey player that is already sidelined at 18 and that misses almost half a season because of it is a very, very bad sign.

Possible career ending kind of problem for a hockey player. I'd not gamble it at #5, especially in a loaded draft with a lot of nice options.

Am also a doctor:
Sometimes scans pick up herniated disks that people didn't even know they had. There's a whole spectrum of severity from benign to catastrophic.

Not me realizing the reason I don't have a family doctor is because they are all arguing with me about hockey on HFboards... I was the problem all along.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Here is a more recent paper. Return-to-Play Outcomes of Athletes After Operative and Nonoperative Treatment of Lumbar Disc Herniation
O'Connor SB, Holmberg KJ, Hammarstedt JE, Acosta JR, Monahan K, Sauber RD, Altman DT. Return-to-Play Outcomes of Athletes After Operative and Nonoperative Treatment of Lumbar Disc Herniation. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2023 May;16(5):192-200. doi: 10.1007/s12178-023-09829-z. Epub 2023 Mar 31. PMID: 36997833; PMCID: PMC10188705.

The short version: it matters which procedure injured players undergo. It's possible, even likely, that recent surgeries result in better outcomes. Some highlights:

Hockey​

Schroeder et al. ... However, it was noted that players who underwent a lumbar fusion successfully returned to play 100% (8 of 8) of the time for an average of 203 games over a 4-year period, which may represent and entirely different cohort than what we are trying to understand in the scope of this study. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the number of games played per season before and after a lumbar fusion [29]. Although a small sample size in the lumbar fusion group makes it difficult to draw conclusions, these findings suggest that a single-level lumbar fusion does not define a career-ending surgery for elite hockey players as previously suggested [30].

... Yamaya et al. examined the outcomes of transforaminal percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy (PELD) in high school athletes suffering from LDH and found even higher RTP rates of 94.4% an average of 7 weeks after surgery [32]. While this procedure did allow for high RTP rates and short recovery times, there are some barriers in selecting this intervention. Surgeons must be trained to perform transforaminal PELD without causing complications such as exiting nerve root injury. Additionally, long-term prognosis and possibility of symptom recurrence are not yet as thoroughly understood as more traditional methods like LD.

Hockey​

Schroeder et al. ...This finding is different from what was previously seen in NFL and NBA players who generally have preserved athletic performance after treatment for LDH. However, of the 8 players who underwent lumbar fusion for treatment of their LDH, these findings were not the case. Players treated with lumbar fusion had no significant difference in performance score after treatment, and instead had a significant increase in points per game postoperatively [29]. Although the sample size was small, these findings demonstrate potential for players at this elite level to successfully continue their preinjury level of sport.
Is this disc injury same one he had last December. If so, sounds like lingering long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad