Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. For me passing over Buium for Lindstrom is like passing over Q Hughes to take an injured B Tkachuk because you may have Girard / McDonagh in your D pool.

Fair. I have my BPA's after Celebrini as Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom but Lindstrom as the 5th wheel and Buium very close to him.

Lindstrom could be a home run pick or a strikeout

If Buium is Makar, he will be gone before 5th. In reality, Buium is much more likely to be a 50-60 pts dman than a Makar, and we could very well already have that in Hutson.

I think Hutson is going to put up a lot of points. The real question is how many goals does he allow and can we shelter him 5/5 well. I do worry about the match-up game in the playoffs and especially final 4 standards. We are aways from reaching that level yet though.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
In the year that Anderon was drafted, he scored 12 goals in 64 games….Lindstrom has scored more then twice as many goals in exactly half the games :laugh:

(27 goals in 32games)

These are two different players amigo
I didn’t compare the two mec. We’re looking at data points, is all.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
This is spot on. This is not the draft to over reach for a forward if the one you have targeted is not available. Both Dickinson and Buium project as top pairing defencemen in the NHL. But I wouldn't sleep on Yakemchuck, who I think has the skill, skating, and size to emerge as the top defenceman taken in this draft. If Yakemchuk some how falls to the mid- teens and I was Hughes, I would become super aggressive in trying to convert the 26 OA to be in a position to take this highly talented defenceman. Could you imagine a draft where we took one of Lindstrom/Iginla/Sennecke or Catton and then Yakemchuk? Now that would be a draft to celebrate over.

If I'm Hughes I have 2 targets in the 15-20 range if they fall : Catton and Yakemchuk

If either of them is still available at 15, he better do anything that's possible to trade up.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
RE: Catton the thing I keep coming back to is that these types of players always seem to be available later than we think. In 2019 online fans wanted Caufield at 5-10 and he went to us at 15. Last year we debated Benson at 5 and he went at 13. This year we're debating Catton at 5 and he's being projected in the 8-13 range. Just seems like those small/smallish wingers who don't quite have superstar upside always fall as the bad teams picking high usually have to focus on drafting cornerstone C & D with size and can't justify a small winger unless it's a Marner level of talent.

I wouldn't be upset if Catton ends up being our pick, but I think we're better off sticking to a forward with size given we'd have a good shot at the 2025 draft's rough equivalent to Catton/Benson/Caufield in the 10-15 range next year.
Yeah nobody regrets skipping Benson and Caufield huh

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Levschunov said he felt “big interest” from the Blackhawks throughout the season.

“We spoke very often this year,” he told me. He spoke to the CH for the first time here, at the Combine. » - Anthony Martineau
Did they ask him for how long he’s been shaving and if he has kids?? Just to put him in a corner and that he feels shame and finally admits to being a 27 year old…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Levschunov said he felt “big interest” from the Blackhawks throughout the season.

“We spoke very often this year,” he told me. He spoke to the CH for the first time here, at the Combine. » - Anthony Martineau

Seems reasonable to me. Hawks were pretty much bottom 3 or 4 all season. Habs were floating 5th-8th range and Levschunov was the popular top 3 like Zadina was during the draft year. Things have changed a bit with others creeping in the top 5 mix.

I can certainly see Lev slipping to 6th ish like Zadina did.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I can understand seeing Lev 20 times. It's kind of hard to get a good read on his IQ and decision making. At times he reacts quickly and makes the right play, at times he reacts quickly and makes the wrong play. At times he reacts slowly and makes the right play, at times he reacts slowly and still makes the wrong play.

Guy is an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

He's also 48 :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: SwiftyHab

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's not even a decoy. One questionnaire and they interviewed him today. No one has ever mentioned any semblance of interest by the team in him and nothing about him fits the profile of what they've targeted.
I should clarify - A media decoy. They've purposely picked a player that doesn't fit what we need like you've said, in order to worry Habs fans.

There's ALWAYS some scaremongering when we have a good pick

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah nobody regrets skipping Benson and Caufield huh
I responded to another similar post on the last page, yes some certainly teams do but I also don't think we'd be able to trade Caufield for Boldy, Seider, Cozens, or Zegras right now. I think Detroit, Vancouver, and Arizona might regret skipping on Benson at the moment, but I'm also personally not trading Reinbacher, Michkov, Leonard, or Dvorsky for him. They don't all end up like Benson and Caufield either. Wahlstrom was also a "steal" at 11 in 2018 and now Bouchard is a PPG defenceman & cup finalist and Hughes won a Norris while Wahlstrom has been a total bust so far. Ottawa got a lot of heat for Sanderson at 5 in 2020 but they sure don't regret skipping on Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, and Quinn for him.

Regardless my point is not that skilled smallish/non physical wingers are "bad" as a blanket category or that we shouldn't consider Catton or anything to that effect, it's that in actual reality they're almost always available later in the draft than publicly available lists would suggest, and also that we remember the Caufields and forget the ones that didn't work out.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I responded to another similar post on the last page, yes some certainly teams do but I also don't think we'd be able to trade Caufield for Boldy, Seider, Cozens, or Zegras right now. I think Detroit, Vancouver, and Arizona might regret skipping on Benson at the moment, but I'm also personally not trading Reinbacher, Michkov, Leonard, or Dvorsky for him. They don't all end up like Benson and Caufield either. Wahlstrom was also a "steal" at 11 in 2018 and now Bouchard is a PPG defenceman & cup finalist and Hughes won a Norris while Wahlstrom has been a total bust so far. Ottawa got a lot of heat for Sanderson at 5 in 2020 but they sure don't regret skipping on Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, and Quinn for him.

Regardless my point is not that skilled smallish/non physical wingers are "bad" as a blanket category or that we shouldn't consider Catton or anything to that effect, it's that in actual reality they're almost always available later in the draft than publicly available lists would suggest, and also that we remember the Caufields and forget the ones that didn't work out.
Seems like there’s no pattern to it at all. And a team like the Habs that clearly lacks high-end skill at forward would probably prioritize that when given the opportunity.

I think you could trade Caufield for Zegras for sure btw

Reactions: Ozmodiar

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I should clarify - A media decoy. They've purposely picked a player that doesn't fit what we need like you've said, in order to worry Habs fans.

There's ALWAYS some scaremongering when we have a good pick

Who did? I don't see any of that, the same guy interviewed Levshunov and Eiserman lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad