HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First of all, Iginla isn’t a playmaking winger. I don’t understand how that’s your description of him.

Byfield isn’t an example of a prospect failing at being a centre, it’s an example of a team failing at development. Of course he’s been shifted to wing when the Kings have Kopitar, Danault and acquired PLD. That’s just hubris on their part thinking they had a contending team. It doesn’t mean Lindstrom should follow the same path.

Iggy is a play making winger but more of a shoot 1st type. When you watch his highlight reels, you see a lot of shot power and edge work but there are a decent amount of clips that shows his vision. More with him than I can find with the other forwards ranked closed to him who are also shooter types.

I don't agree Byfield is a failing example at development. Not many guys who play center in the CHL can be full time centers in the NHL. The evidence is all over the place.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's definitely super raw. Almost a blank slate too, you can tell he hasn't been coached a whole lot in his young career, he tends to improvise a ton. A true project as far as development goes, a lot like Slaf was.
Which is also why I'm not sure he should be the pick. I see no scenario in which he starts having impact on the roster before ~3 years. Guys like Iggy, Lindstrom, Catton and Demidov are going to be pretty much plug and play 12 months from now.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ya that's definitely one scenario. But I think a lot of teams have tiers of players rather than linear rankings. If ANA has 2-3 d-men in a tier, they may see the value in getting additional assets while staying in the same tier of d-men. Adding a guy like Struble (Verbeek type player) and a mid pick may worth more than the difference between Dickinson and Buium for example. Meanwhile Montreal would move up a clear forward tier.

Buium doesn't make sense with Mintyukov and Zellweger. That's the thing, Dickinson Levshunov Silayev are what they need.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think I've been too low on Vanacker. I'm guessing I just got unlucky on my live viewings but he really seems to play a very translatable game, and has a fair amount of tools. Wouldn't hate him with 26 honestly.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I read all comments and a lot of experts as well and some of the things that is clear.

It is easy to evaluate size and speed. A little girl could to it.

However..analyzing Iq and vision is a total different ball game. It is the mkst important quality in hockey and so much people does not look at it at all.

2 example:

Mike Ribeiro
Josh Anderson.

In 1998 maybe 80% of the fans said that he would never make it;

He was slow like a turtle.....skinny as hell at 6.0 170 pounds...no character..partying etc.

Ribeiro had an off chaŕt IQ and vision and magical hand...thats it....

Not a baď career for someone who continueď to party all the time.

Josh Anderson had everything....Size, speed strenght, shot..everything..but no IQ.

He made it but one the defensemen figured him out..he struggled..a lot.

Now again ...CATTON. think about that.:

..Iq off chart.., .amazing vision, magical hands, great shot......and the will to learn and improving his game every day in his training method etc...

As I wrote a .month ago....last Summer he wanted to work on his shot but instead to just shooting the puck many hours a day...he decided to spent a week at a goalie camp to ask questions to goalies and goalies coaches about which areas in the net they were struggling to stop the puck

It worked well....23 goals at 16 to 54 at 17 years old and his shot was so much better this season.

The kid is a student of the game..and listen to him and it is so easy to figure that he will always improving his qualities and his weaknesses..

Last edited:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I read all comments and a lot of experts as well and some of the things that is clear.

However..analyzing Iq and vision is a total different ball game. It is the mkst important quality in hockey and so much people does not look at it at all.

2 example:

Mike Ribeiro
Josh Anderson.

RIBEIRO IN: 1998 maybe 80% of the fans said that he would never make it;

He was slow like a turtle.....skinny as hell at 6.0 170 pounds...no character..partying etc.

Josh Anderson had everything....Size, speed strenght, shot..everything..but no IQ.

He made it but oncee the defensemen figured him out..he struggled..a lot.

..Iq off chart.., .amazing vision, magical hands, great shot......and the will to learn and improving his game every day in his training method etc...

As I wrote a .month ago....last Summer he wanted to work on his shot but instead to just shooting the puck many hours a day...he decided to spent a week at a goalies camp ..and he asked questions to them and coaches about which areas they have problems to stop the pucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: BergevinBurner

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

2 example:

Mike Ribeiro
Josh Anderson.

He made it but oncee the defensemen figured him out..he struggled..a lot.

As I wrote a .month ago....last Summer he wanted to work on his shot but instead to just shooting the puck many hours a day...he decided to spent a week at a goalies camp ..and he asked questions to them and coaches about which areas they have problems to stop the pucks.
Out of all the forwards in the mix at 5, Catton is probably the one I have the fewest concerns/questions about. I'd be pretty happy with him as our pick, but I don't see our management or Bobrov being overly interested in him.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I actually soured on Vanacker in my final views.
Interesting, I guess scouting is sometimes just which games you happen to catch though.

If you were a pro scout watching Montreal after they get eliminated from the playoffs when they should be losing as much as possible, you'd come away thinking Armia was the 2nd coming of Mario

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Boo this man.

Also, Mcagg has us picking Senneke again

Once he has his target, he stays on it.

I'm pretty convinced at this point it will be Senneke as well.

Edit: As an aside, doesn't a prospect need an invite for the combine? Shayne made it sound like it was a mistake for Demidov not to show up to it but I don't think they've invited any Russian system prospects since the war? Could be wrong.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Boo this man.

Also, Mcagg has us picking Senneke again

Not sure how that is a surprise pick for the Habs from him. He's had a boner for this player and has been obsessed with him for a while it seems and has been talking about him to the Habs for a good bit. Sorry but I just can't get onboard with taking Sennecke @ 5.

Now what the hell did I do with my pitchfork after last years draft. I'm gonna need it again soon it seems. :)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not that I consider Pierre McGuire a media authority at this point, but he said he's consider Eiserman ahead of Demidov and Lindstrom.
I would. But that’s a very unpopular view.
Said you have to take grit and determination into consideration heavily. Ummm......
And he’s just flat out wrong here. If grit and determination are what you’re looking for, look elsewhere.

I made a point of watching Eiserman as much as I could. The criticisms are valid. You’re not drafting him for what he is but what he could be. He’s a home run swing.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

2 example:

Mike Ribeiro
Josh Anderson.

He made it but one the defensemen figured him out..he struggled..a lot.

As I wrote a .month ago....last Summer he wanted to work on his shot but instead to just shooting the puck many hours a day...he decided to spent a week at a goalie camp to ask questions to goalies and goalies coaches about which areas in the net they were struggling to stop the puck

It worked well....23 goals at 16 to 54 at 17 years old and his shot was so much better this season.

The kid is a student of the game..and listen to him and it is so easy to figure that he will always improving his qualities and his weaknesses..
Ribeiro's hockey IQ may have been high, but his regular IQ was hovering around room temperature. What a friggin' clown he was.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Jacob Battaglia is the man you want.
Good shout. Him and Carson Wetsch are prospects within the same realm who I believe will end up having a breakout season in 24-25.

I actually soured on Vanacker in my final views.
Interesting, I guess scouting is sometimes just which games you happen to catch though.

If you were a pro scout watching Montreal after they get eliminated from the playoffs when they should be losing as much as possible, you'd come away thinking Armia was the 2nd coming of Mario
I've had great and not as good viewings on him myself. I think he has a lot of great tools but he needs to figure out what to do with them and find the toolbox. In some games, he dominates. In others, he looks lost.

I still have him as a late first because I think his game can still grow a lot but he does need to figure himself out and be more consistent.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad