HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think both Dickinson and Buium are the top 2 D’s in this draft. They are not getting passed the 7th overall if I try to play Nostradamus a bit.

Lev gets picked maybe the 2nd overall because of the RD premium and Silayev will get picked somewhere in there because of his size. It’s a hell of a year to be in the hunt for a Dman.
I agree. For me passing over Buium for Lindstrom is like passing over Q Hughes to take an injured B Tkachuk because you may have Girard / McDonagh in your D pool.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How is everyone going to feel when we draft Helenius?

Goldie has predicted it. I am mentally prepared for it.
I mean he doesn’t really fit with what Bobrov and Gorton typically want, going back to their NY days. He’s also falling in all rankings, not exactly the end of a season you’d want from a prospect.

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think I've been too low on Vanacker. I'm guessing I just got unlucky on my live viewings but he really seems to play a very translatable game, and has a fair amount of tools. Wouldn't hate him with 26 honestly.
I don't think he lasts until 26 OA. He's one of the better skaters in the OHL this past season and one of the few players that I would move up for if he falls into the 20 OA range.

Hughes pretty much shot down the possibility of us taking Buium and the talk of him has mostly died down since.
It wouldn't be the first time a general manager made a mistake.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Anderson also has more Gs and As. We'd need more data, I wasn't even considering the sh% anomoly @SannywithoutCompy brought up but I don't want to get fixated against a prospect pre-draft any more. So won't be looking into it any further.
In the year that Anderon was drafted, he scored 12 goals in 64 games….Lindstrom has scored more then twice as many goals in exactly half the games :laugh:

(27 goals in 32games)

These are two different players amigo

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I agree. For me passing over Buium for Lindstrom is like passing over Q Hughes to take an injured B Tkachuk because you may have Girard / McDonagh in your D pool.

With what the habs already have in their team and system, there is a much bigger need to add a Tkachuk type player than to add a Hughes type player.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
haha
nope
They aren't picking Helenius stop it guys lol
Man....I seriously won't be surprised if Goldie predicts it.

Here is my current top 10 predictions.....

San Jose - Mack
Chicago - Dickinson
Anaheim - Levshunov
Columbus - Silyayev
Habs - Demidov
Utah - Lindstrom
Ottawa - Buium
Kraken - Iginla
Flames - Sennecke
Devils - Catton

Reactions: Jaynki

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
RE: Catton the thing I keep coming back to is that these types of players always seem to be available later than we think. In 2019 online fans wanted Caufield at 5-10 and he went to us at 15. Last year we debated Benson at 5 and he went at 13. This year we're debating Catton at 5 and he's being projected in the 8-13 range. Just seems like those small/smallish wingers who don't quite have superstar upside always fall as the bad teams picking high usually have to focus on drafting cornerstone C & D with size and can't justify a small winger unless it's a Marner level of talent.

I wouldn't be upset if Catton ends up being our pick, but I think we're better off sticking to a forward with size given we'd have a good shot at the 2025 draft's rough equivalent to Catton/Benson/Caufield in the 10-15 range next year.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

4bUV7Ls.gif

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
First of all, i haven’t seen a complete game from Demidov, but i saw probably all of his highlights packages on youtbe there is. Personnally, i’m not convinced that much his game will translate that much in NA and in the NHL. He wont be doing circle against weak competition here or going against 3 defenders at the same time and coming out with the puck.

What makes you think otherwise? Sell me the kid because im not sold yet.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
RE: Catton the thing I keep coming back to is that these types of players always seem to be available later than we think. In 2019 online fans wanted Caufield at 5-10 and he went to us at 15. Last year we debated Benson at 5 and he went at 13. This year we're debating Catton at 5 and he's being projected in the 8-13 range. Just seems like those small/smallish wingers who don't quite have superstar upside always fall as the bad teams picking high usually have to focus on drafting cornerstone C & D with size and can't justify a small winger unless it's a Marner level of talent.

I wouldn't be upset if Catton ends up being our pick, but I think we're better off sticking to a forward with size given we'd have a good shot at the 2025 draft's rough equivalent to Catton/Benson/Caufield in the 10-15 range next year.
The other consistent thing is that those teams end up regretting it pretty often.

Reactions: Deam78 and ReHabs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm surprised there isn't much talk about moving up to Anaheim's pick since they seem to want a defenseman. If CHI takes a D-man and CLB is going forward, would ANA not be interested in getting extra assets while still being able to take their guy at 5? Then the Habs can have their pick of the forwards (Demidov).

If Levshunov is there, they will definitely not be willing to trade down.
If he's not there, and Anaheim prefers to draft an LD over Demidov, and they have a couple of LDs equal to each other (ex: Silayev and Dickinson), then there's the possibility of trading down since they could get 1 of those LDs at 5 guaranteed.

If that's the case, then I think Ducks would say yes to 5th + Avs 2nd for 3rd.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If Levshunov is there, they will definitely not be willing to trade down.
If he's not there, and Anaheim prefers to draft an LD over Demidov, and they have a couple of LDs equal to each other (ex: Silayev and Dickinson), then there's the possibility of trading down since they could get 1 of those LDs at 5 guaranteed.

If that's the case, then I think Ducks would say yes to 5th + Avs 2nd for 3rd.
If they shop the third they will have a better offer. Ottawa for example would undoubtedly offer the 7th + 25th. We will have to include the 26th. Which I would do, if it got us Demidov.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
With what the habs already have in their team and system, there is a much bigger need to add a Tkachuk type player than to add a Hughes type player.
Who cares what our needs are right now! 70% of the players currently on the team will be gone in 5 years.

You take BPA. If a player ala Makar is available, would you ignore him simply it's not a need?

Reactions: Runner77

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If they shop the third they will have a better offer. Ottawa for example would undoubtedly offer the 7th + 25th. We will have to include the 26th. Which I would do, if it got us Demidov.

I doubt the Ducks would prefer 7th + 25th over 5th + 57th.
At 5, they can still get whoever they wanted to draft at 3. At 7th, it won't be possible.

The first 6 players drafted could very well be Celebrini, Levshunov, Demidov, Dickinson, Silayev, and Buium. That means at 7th, you're looking at players like Lindstrom, Parekh, Iginla, and Helenius. I don't think any of them particularly interest the ducks. The downgrade isn't worth it just for an extra late 1st round pick. By moving down to 5, there isn't a downgrade (assuming they have 2 LD equal) and they get a free 2nd round pick.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I genuinely don t understand how Buium is not generating more interest : great puck mover, skater, good defensively, he is basically a taller version of Q Hughes and he has scored much more than him in their respective draft years… I d take him without any hesitation at 5 and I don t see why CHI or ANA or CBJ would not be interested either
Agreed, he's #3 on my list. Behind Celebrini and Demidov.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think both Dickinson and Buium are the top 2 D’s in this draft. They are not getting passed the 7th overall if I try to play Nostradamus a bit.

Lev gets picked maybe the 2nd overall because of the RD premium and Silayev will get picked somewhere in there because of his size. It’s a hell of a year to be in the hunt for a Dman.
This is spot on. This is not the draft to over reach for a forward if the one you have targeted is not available. Both Dickinson and Buium project as top pairing defencemen in the NHL. But I wouldn't sleep on Yakemchuck, who I think has the skill, skating, and size to emerge as the top defenceman taken in this draft. If Yakemchuk some how falls to the mid- teens and I was Hughes, I would become super aggressive in trying to convert the 26 OA to be in a position to take this highly talented defenceman. Could you imagine a draft where we took one of Lindstrom/Iginla/Sennecke or Catton and then Yakemchuk? Now that would be a draft to celebrate over.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The other consistent thing is that those teams end up regretting it pretty often.
I don't think that's really consistently true. DeBrincat went way too late, and Broberg, Turcotte, and Soderstrom ahead of Caufield didn't work out, nor did Bennett/Da Colle/Virtanen/Fleury over Nylander and Ehlers, but there are lots of counter examples too.

For instance, I don't think the teams that drafted Cozens, Zegras, Seider, and Boldy ahead of Caufield regret their picks. I don't think Anaheim regrets taking Mintyukov over Nazar, nor does Chicago regret taking Korchinski ahead of Savoie. In 2018 Hayton, Hughes, Boqvist, and Bouchard all went before Wahlstrom (who was consistently ranked in the 5-7 range and above most of those D) and it worked out well for every team that passed on him.

I realize these aren't all exact 1:1 comparisons to Benson/Catton/Caufield etc (and I also realize those three are quite dissimilar to each other) but almost every year there's a high scoring smallish winger that we all fall in love with online and talk about as a top 5 talent who then ends up dropping to the 10-15 range. All of this is to say I don't think we need to think about this year as our last chance to get a forward like that, historically those types of wingers are available from 8-15.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Konsta Helenius is a great prospect, has all the tools to become a similar player as Sebastian Aho. Give me that at 5, I wouldn't mind.

He's dynamic, has a good shot, good hockey sense, and likes to score.

Not my first choice, but wouldn't be opposed if he ends up our guy. It means they see something special in him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Who cares what our needs are right now? 70% of the players currently on the team will be gone in 5 years.

Having Guhle and Hutson on the left side is the main reason not to draft Buium, and its highly unlikely that they will be gone within 5 years.

They are trying to build a contending team. If you don't look at team needs, then you're not building the team right. It's not much different than looking at players with size when a team already has a lot of smaller players.

You take BPA. If a player ala Makar is available, would you ignore him simply it's not a need?

If Buium is Makar, he will be gone before 5th. In reality, Buium is much more likely to be a 50-60 pts dman than a Makar, and we could very well already have that in Hutson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad