HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
My French is good enough, coles notes?
Pretty much exactly what it says. He says the Habs will possibly try and trade up to 3 to grab Demidov, or there’s a good chance he falls to 5 since Silayev is assuredly going in the Top 4.

He also predicts that they draft Raoul Boilard.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Pretty much exactly what it says. He says the Habs will possibly try and trade up to 3 to grab Demidov, or there’s a good chance he falls to 5 since Silayev is assuredly going in the Top 4.

Think he said trade up to 4, swap picks with Columbus.

No Dickinson talk but Lev been talking to Chicago and Silayev stock is skyrocketing, won’t get past Columbus.

Convinced….no….he said Habs WANT Demidov if he and Lindstrom still there.

50% chance Kakko with Habs

Thinks Ylonen and Dvorak are gonzo

Hutson and Roy start season with Habs….lots of interesting stuff.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Having Guhle and Hutson on the left side is the main reason not to draft Buium, and its highly unlikely that they will be gone within 5 years.

They are trying to build a contending team. If you don't look at team needs, then you're not building the team right. It's not much different than looking at players with size when a team already has a lot of smaller players.

If Buium is Makar, he will be gone before 5th. In reality, Buium is much more likely to be a 50-60 pts dman than a Makar, and we could very well already have that in Hutson.

I think Buium can be a more reliable defender and a minutes eater. So that’s a big plus towards him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Seeing that BPM sport link saying Demidov WILL be a member of the Habs. Ugh don't play with us!

I feel it too, I’ve never been wrong in the past 8 drafts. I even knew we’d pick Poehling months before it happened. I predicted Caufield at the start of that season and I called Reinbacher even if I was hoping for Leonard. GMs often make it clear, you only need to trust them.

This year it will be the Demigod.

The list is :

1) Demigod
2) Lindström
3) Iggy/Sennecke

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Think he said trade up to 4, swap picks with Columbus.

No Dickinson talk but Lev been talking to Chicago and Silayev stock is skyrocketing, won’t get past Columbus.

Convinced….no….he said Habs WANT Demidov if he and Lindstrom still there.

50% chance Kakko with Habs

Thinks Ylonen and Dvorak are gonzo

Hutson and Roy start season with Habs….lots of interesting stuff.
Good job hitting the main points. Let me add a little extra.

Ettedgui says that he sees Dvorak going in a trade as a cap dump. (Man, how badly did we fail getting that guy).

Says he prefers Zegras (23) over Necas (25), is younger, has a good contract. Not a fan of players with outspoken dads as with Necas. Says it reveals something about a player when he lets his father do the talking publicly. Also, says that the issue with Carolina was not Waddell but Dundumb vs Geoff Molson and that conflict is not resolved, so dealing with them is not likely or would require overpayment with Dundumb calling the shots. (Anyhow, this whole Zegras and Necas debate is academic, with recent reports about the Habs not aggressively pursuing both players).

Kakko is a guy he’d target. Says if he can’t land Zegras, he’d go after Laine. He suggests both Kakko and Laine to add size and both won’t cost you pieces from your core. He’d use Dvorak as a cap dump in a Laine trade.

Thinks Waddell could try to pry away an asset from the Habs in order to switch picks and allow them to pick 4th.

Says Habs like Raoul Boilard a lot, physical, 6’2, plays all 3 zones.

Supports the idea that the Habs should add Gerard Gallant to join the coaching staff, would be a great addition for the PP.

Overall, it sounded to me like a mix of his opinion/ observations and some stuff he’s heard, but moreso his own views of what he’d like to see happen or what he’d do if he had decision-making authority. It wasn’t always obvious which was which, plus he rattles off a lot of points in quick succession, which doesn’t help.

Last edited:

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Ettedgui says that he sees Dvorak going in a trade as a cap dump. (Man, how badly did we fail getting that guy).
As in we will dump Dvorak with additional assets to clear cap room? There is no way Hughes does that. I doubt there is any plan for him other than hope he plays decent enough that we can trade him for a pick, just as we have been doing with all our other washed veterans for a few years...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As in we will dump Dvorak with additional assets to clear cap room? There is no way Hughes does that. I doubt there is any plan for him other than hope he plays decent enough that we can trade him for a pick, just as we have been doing with all our other washed veterans for a few years...
Ettedgui meant to use Dvorak in a Laine trade where a large incoming salary can be softened by having Dvorak go the other way.

Reactions: jaffy27

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Having Guhle and Hutson on the left side is the main reason not to draft Buium, and its highly unlikely that they will be gone within 5 years.

They are trying to build a contending team. If you don't look at team needs, then you're not building the team right. It's not much different than looking at players with size when a team already has a lot of smaller players.

If Buium is Makar, he will be gone before 5th. In reality, Buium is much more likely to be a 50-60 pts dman than a Makar, and we could very well already have that in Hutson.

You can trade for needs, you draft BPA.

You are severely underrating Buium.
Dude has PPG written all over him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garbageyuk

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
RE: Catton the thing I keep coming back to is that these types of players always seem to be available later than we think. In 2019 online fans wanted Caufield at 5-10 and he went to us at 15. Last year we debated Benson at 5 and he went at 13. This year we're debating Catton at 5 and he's being projected in the 8-13 range. Just seems like those small/smallish wingers who don't quite have superstar upside always fall as the bad teams picking high usually have to focus on drafting cornerstone C & D with size and can't justify a small winger unless it's a Marner level of talent.

I wouldn't be upset if Catton ends up being our pick, but I think we're better off sticking to a forward with size given we'd have a good shot at the 2025 draft's rough equivalent to Catton/Benson/Caufield in the 10-15 range next year.
If Catton

With Jets pick?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Just seems like those small/smallish wingers who don't quite have superstar upside always fall as the bad teams picking high usually have to focus on drafting cornerstone C & D with size and can't justify a small winger unless it's a Marner level of talent.
Catton is a center.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
As a prospect, if the Montreal Canadiens send me a questionnaire I reply to it on the spot and then print a paper version and send it via fedex express overnight.

Fool

konsta-helenius-2024-7738.jpg

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Was he saying he's their guy regardless of Demidov/Lindstrom? Or in the event they're off the board?
Demidov was taken by Chicago in the mock draft scenario. Lindstrom still on board.

But i don't think the habs pass on Lindstrom if he's still there, i would be surprised he's too much of what they like in a player. Sennecke screams everything they like too.

Reactions: Matteus and G0bias

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I’m starting to want to trade up for Boisvert with WPG pick

I cant see why. I love the background and the ethics, but we are looking for pure talent/skills. Boisvert will be perfect for a team already littered with talent and can establish himself in a middle six, but in Montreal he would be buried among guys fighting for a middle position. It's better to try sto go big and invest on the youngest players in the draft such as Ryder and Luchanko... but still, there are some good catches that could slide up to the CH rank. 26th is not an enviable position but I wouldn't be surprised if we were all there shooting a particular name at 9:30-10:00 p.m. on June 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad