Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 66 16.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.0%

• Total voters

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I wouldn't mind Sennecke at 10th, but I still don't like him at 5th.

I've never been a fan of later risers, and I'm personally worried to see how his game is impacted by his frame filling out. The way he gets around defenders with his lanky frame is interesting, but if he fills out with 30lbs of muscle to get up to 205lbs, then I'm not sure if he'll maintain that aspect of his game.
With today’s expert training methods, and their attention to detail, I’m not worried about it.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I truly believe the combine tests / interviews will be what separates players like Iginla and Sennecke for Habs final rankings. Whatever noise we’re hearing won’t be relevant until two weeks from now

Reactions: WinterLion

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
How so?

Pierre Gauthier was GM when the org decided not to offer Fischer a contract back in 2010 - 4-years post draft. MB was named GM in 2012

BTW, as Pat Hickey reported pre-2006 draft, it was Gauthier, then AGM, who was spending a lot of time watching Minny High School games

Per CBA: Habs had to make Fischer a bona fide offer of a SPC (Standard Player Contract) that would be declined, in order to gain compensation which the org didn’t
I guess you are right concerning Bergevin. A black mark on our organization and the development of prospects, then.

I see it was at the end of Gainey when he was dealing with the loss of his daughter and a regime change.

So used to Bergevin being the main culprit that I threw him under the bus there.

My point still stands, though: David Fischer is a tragic story and our organization let him down.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I guess you are right concerning Bergevin. A black mark on our organization and the development of prospects, then.

I see it was at the end of Gainey when he was dealing with the loss of his daughter and a regime change.

So used to Bergevin being the main culprit that I threw him under the bus there.

My point still stands, though: David Fischer is a tragic story and our organization let him down.
I had read Fischer saying the org went out of their way to support him during his mother’s battle w cancer, but he simply didn’t take becoming a pro hockey player as seriously as his fellow drafted Minnesotans he played w in college

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don t see how forwards not named Celibrini should be drafted before Buium Dickinson but I guess I m the minority around here.

I don't agree with this, but I encourage the sentiment. To me Macklin is the only player whose range is beyond the other players. Demidov could end up worse off than a lot of other players, just as an example.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I had read Fischer saying the org went out of their way to support him during his mother’s battle w cancer, but he simply didn’t take becoming a pro hockey player as seriously as his fellow drafted Minnesotans he played w in college
I don’t know if you read french, but in in TVA interview he gave, he states that they were emotionally there for him, but nobody was there to focus him on the fact that he was letting his dreams slip away, and give him a kick in the butt to take his training seriously.

If I were in the position to help this young man, I would get on a flight and train with him for a few weeks, get him into a good routine, get him a sports psychologist, get him to realize that life is long and that he has to keep focused on his hockey career that could last decades if he continues working at it after his time as a player is done.

It seems like Gainey’s organization coddled him, and Gauthier’s organization abandoned him.

4 years at uni is a lot of missed opportunities. If someone had come and spent time with him and his coach, they might have realized that U of Minnesota was not the right place for him. Maybe take him out and bring him to the AHL. Anything.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don’t know if you read french, but in in TVA interview he gave, he states that they were emotionally there for him, but nobody was there to focus him on the fact that he was letting his dreams slip away, and give him a kick in the butt to take his training seriously.

If I were in the position to help this young man, I would get on a flight and train with him for a few weeks, get him into a good routine, get him a sports psychologist, get him to realize that life is long and that he has to keep focused on his hockey career that could last decades if he continues working at it after his time as a player is done.

It seems like Gainey’s organization coddled him, and Gauthier’s organization abandoned him.

4 years at uni is a lot of missed opportunities. If someone had come and spent time with him and his coach, they might have realized that U of Minnesota was not the right place for him. Maybe take him out and bring him to the AHL. Anything.
He simply wasn't an NHL player. In fact he wasn't even an AHL calibre player. It was a bad pick and he didn't develop as a UMinn Gopher. It also sounds like he didn't have good work as well. Sometimes it's on the player.

Reactions: Addik04

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don t see how forwards not named Celibrini should be drafted before Buium Dickinson but I guess I m the minority around here.

Demidov is certainly better than these two—easy in my book. Demidov is in a tier of his own at 2, IMO. In the end, I think Chicago understands this and will probably take him; even if it is a team construction risk, it might not be the best move for them vs. getting a big player for Bedard (this will be crucial for their rebuild). I really think they are picking a forward; their defence prospects are their (relative) strength, so they can pick in the 2nd tier of Ds Hutson and Jiricek with their later picks.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider Buium or Dickinson at 2 at all. Of course, you can fall in love with them, but Demidov's IQ is too high to not be a unique skill in the NHL. Neither Dickinson nor Buium have a skill like that. If you add a playmaker like this on the PP with a shooter like Bedard, their power play is set for the rebuild (if they add Hutson on top of that for the trifecta, they can move on from having to search for offence).

The issue with drafting Demidov this year for them is that most of the top players next year (saved for Martone, Wozniak) don't have much size so if it comes down to absolutely going size this year (they need it bad) they will go Lindstrom (one could argue that having a core player that can continuously defend Bedard is more important for them, look at the Devils). Hagens, Misa are sub 6, Ryabkin will likely be 6'1. So I would guess that could be the plan. Get Ryabkin next year to play with Bedard (or has a 2nd center) and Demidov. I doubt they will get the bottom pick already (Bedard will start pulling them out of there). Part of me doesn't think Bedard's needs are addressed with this.

There will be some pretty good Ds again next year; it's just that the top three forwards are more valuable overall. Schaefer looks like a stud, Sjostrom/Annborn, Boumedienne, Hensler, Tretheway

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

At the 2006 draft, iirc a few teams had Fischer listed as “do not draft” - wasn’t the CBJ GM (MacLean?) caught on camera laughing at the pick? Maybe I’m mixing it up with another pick

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Can’t wait for the draft. Things are so hard to predict, I can’t even make a decision for myself (unless Demidov is still there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad