HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like Iginla a lot. With that, I believe I posted this yesterday, but if we’re drafting near 10th, I would SERIOUSLY look at Parekh. I know another D. But he’s RD, is an absolute stud at generating offence. Drafting him, I would trade Hutson at top value for a forward.

I believe so
Parekh I see shades of Makar. If he's there get this guy. Trade a defenseman for a scoring forward.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Parekh I see shades of Makar. If he's there get this guy. Trade a defenseman for a scoring forward.
So what allows Makar to generate his offense in the NHL is his elite speed/edge work. No doubt Parekh has been producing at an exceptional rate this year, but how does he compare to Makar stylistically? Are we talking about a player with phenomenal skating and speed or more of an IQ/vision guy?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Even as someone who tends to devalue one-trick ponies and shoot-first players in general, there's no way I'm fading a record setting goalscorer who's already about 6'0, 200 lbs and is one month away from being 2025 draft eligible.

Eiserman will figure the rest out.

Reactions: Goalfield13

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even as someone who tends to devalue one-trick ponies and shoot-first players in general, there's no way I'm fading a record setting goalscorer who's already about 6'0, 200 lbs and is one month away from being 2025 draft eligible.

Eiserman will figure the rest out.

The exercise here is this.

If Eiserman doesn't.. and he remains a one dimensional goal scorer who will score lets say between 35-50 goals a year.

Do you rank him above MBN that you project as multi dimensional who can score between 25-35 a year but provide PK value, physical value, defensive value etc.

How many goals does Eiserman need to score to be considered a more valuable player than MBN?

Reactions: Goalfield13

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Did a small update to my top 15.

1. Macklin Celebrini
  2. Sam Dickinson
  3. Ivan Demidov
  4. Berkly Catton
  5. Cayden Lindstrom
  6. Zayne Parekh
  7. Artyom Levshunov
  8. Cole Eiserman
  9. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
  10. Konsta Helenius
  11. Carter Yakemchuk
  12. Anton Silayev
  13. Zeev Buium
  14. Adam Jiricek
  15. Ryder Ritchie

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Did a small update to my top 15.

1. Macklin Celebrini
  2. Sam Dickinson
  3. Ivan Demidov
  4. Berkly Catton
  5. Cayden Lindstrom
  6. Zayne Parekh
  7. Artyom Levshunov
  8. Cole Eiserman
  9. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
  10. Konsta Helenius
  11. Carter Yakemchuk
  12. Anton Silayev
  13. Zeev Buium
  14. Adam Jiricek
  15. Ryder Ritchie
Despite Eiserman's scores above, I would be happy with any one of him, MBN or Helenius.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Despite Eiserman's scores above, I would be happy with any one of him, MBN or Helenius.

What I'd note is -

I'd expect Levshunov, Buium, Silayev and Yakemchuk to go higher than where I have them.. so expect some of those forwards to be available lower than they are.

We are in no danger of not being able to get a very good forward prospect.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
What I'd note is -

I'd expect Levshunov, Buium, Silayev and Yakemchuk to go higher than where I have them.. so expect some of those forwards to be available lower than they are.

Specifically for our needs:

Tier 1: unrealistic
Celebrini
-------
Tier 2: ecstatic
Lindstrom
Demidov
Catton
-------
Tier 3: happy
Eiserman
-------
Tier 4: not moved
MBN
Helenius

If we can get anyone from tier 2, considering we still have some assets to trade, we're set.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Specifically for our needs:

Tier 1: unrealistic
Celebrini
-------
Tier 2: ecstatic
Lindstrom
Demidov
Catton
-------
Tier 3: happy
Eiserman
-------
Tier 4: not moved
MBN
Helenius

If we can get anyone from tier 2, considering we still have some assets to trade, we're set.

Fair enough - though I think you might come around to putting MBN in tier 3.. he's been lighting goalies up since the WJC and that was really the only knock on him was the production wasn't matching the chances.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Fair enough - though I think you might come around to putting MBN in tier 3.. he's been lighting goalies up since the WJC and that was really the only knock on him was the production wasn't matching the chances.
I liked him before and I had seen 2 league games + WJC so I'm not surprised that he's putting up points now. I just don't think his skillset is what we need as a team in the long run. If we had drafted Michkov or Benson last year then it would be a different story.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other team had him top-5 or at least ahead of Demidov, Catton and Eiserman... I just don't think we should.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
What I'd note is -

Drafting Reinbacher makes more sense now.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Sounding more and more like Silayev is cementing himself at 2 in the draft. Will be interesting to see if Bob's list confirms this.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Your top 3 forwards in this class excluding Celebrini?

My guess is yours is:
Lindstrom
MBN
Iginla

Nope.

Lindstrom
Demidov
Catton
MBN

Iginla if we pick 10-12 is intriguing.

Eiserman is unidimensional in junior. He won’t be more than that in the pro.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
The exercise here is this.

If Eiserman doesn't.. and he remains a one dimensional goal scorer who will score lets say between 35-50 goals a year.

Do you rank him above MBN that you project as multi dimensional who can score between 25-35 a year but provide PK value, physical value, defensive value etc.

How many goals does Eiserman need to score to be considered a more valuable player than MBN?
That's only relevant if the likelihood of those two things happening are similar.

I have much more faith in an elite goalscorer - and we throw "elite" around here way too often, but in this case it's absolutely warranted - transitioning his ability to the NHL than MBN developing a scoring touch he does not yet possess.

Or put another way, I think there are significantly more outcomes where MBN becomes merely a checking line player than there are where Eiserman does not score at a top 6 level.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Sounding more and more like Silayev is cementing himself at 2 in the draft. Will be interesting to see if Bob's list confirms this.
I have him ranked 2nd on my list as well, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him drop around 6-8 OV because of the Russian factor. Demidov will likely drop as well similary to Michkov, maybe even lower.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Offensive skill. Shot/vision rarely see it.
So what allows Makar to generate his offense in the NHL is his elite speed/edge work. No doubt Parekh has been producing at an exceptional rate this year, but how does he compare to Makar stylistically? Are we talking about a player with phenomenal skating and speed or more of an IQ/vision guy?
He's good skater but his offensive instincts are off the chart. Just rarely see it this young. Has good shot from point, excellent vision, process the game at high speed.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I have him ranked 2nd on my list as well, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him drop around 6-8 OV because of the Russian factor. Demidov will likely drop as well similary to Michkov, maybe even lower.
I don't even know if I buy the Russian factor anymore. Simashev went earlier than expected and Michkov went where I thought he should, after the top Cs and Ds.

I think Silayev doesn't drop past 3 and Demidov doesn't drop past 6.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't even know if I buy the Russian factor anymore. Simashev went earlier than expected and Michkov went where I thought he should, after the top Cs and Ds.

I think Silayev doesn't drop past 3 and Demidov doesn't drop past 6.
Arizona gambled on 2 Russians early in the draft after missing on Reinbacher, but thats Arizona, worst market in the league. Michkov got drafted by Philly, that hired a young GM with no experience. coincidence or not, he still couldnt retain his 2022 5th OV.

We will see how it falls, but I wouldnt be surprised if GMs are freaking out at the possibility their early picks get stuck in Russia for a while.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Loving what I'm seeing from Parekh. Habs need to draft this kid if he falls to us.

Fantastic prospect, but obviously there's a glaring need at forward. If Hughes has a trade up his sleeve to trade a defenseman to get a very good young forward, then why not if he's the best available where we're picking.

Parekh is currently pacing at 36 goals and 68 assists for a total of 104 points in 68 games......as a 17 year old defenseman.

That's bonkers.

When was the last time a 17 your old defenseman decimated the CHL like that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad