HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
i mean maybe a GM falls in love with the player being the son of a hockey legend will definitely help but inside the top 10 would surprise alot of people personally i see him outside the top 15 but will see
Don't see what his dad has to do with what I mentioned about him lol

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I would take him 8-10th ainec if Demidov, Catton, Eiserman and Lindstrom are not there anymore.

In my humble opinion, he is right up there after the 1st tier of forward.
I like Iginla a lot. With that, I believe I posted this yesterday, but if we’re drafting near 10th, I would SERIOUSLY look at Parekh. I know another D. But he’s RD, is an absolute stud at generating offence. Drafting him, I would trade Hutson at top value for a forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iginla one of the youngest players in the draft?
I believe so

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I could easily see Calgary grabbing Tij if we don't get their pick. They're likely going to finish in the early teens as I see several teams ahead of them more likely to collapse post-deadline. They're only 5 points back of LA who are 11th in the league. I don't think we will take their pick too since they won't get Florida's 2024 pick and we only optionally, as in our choice, get Calgary's between 20-32. I also don't know if we can choose right as Calgary is going to the podium or have to declare pre-draft.

I think it'd be pretty dumb to grab a 20-32 pick when that is the range Florida would finish next year regardless. I'd rather roll the dice on Florida regressing with the number of UFA's they have this off-season than taking the exact same spot pick. The only way we get screwed is if Calgary finishes bottom 10 and Florida wins the cup. Even then going from picking 27th or so to 32nd from 2024 to 2025 isn't a huge deal and worth the risk.

I also think forcing Calgary not to rebuild by holding their pick is hilarious. I don't see how they can possibly scorched earth with their roster. A ton of them have marginal value and long contracts. Aren't they just about to build a new arena too?

Anyways, I think if we go on a miracle run to 13th place we will take Iginla. I just think we're not getting a D and we're not taking any Russians in the first round. Silayev is heavily overhyped and it's extremely rare for a 6'6+ guy to excel in the NHL. Like absurdly rare. Hedman and Chara are elite. Owen Power and Edvinsson project ok. Dougie Hamilton has been pretty good. After that in the past 10 years or so it's a list of about 20 guys and most of them were massive busts compared to pre-draft hype.

I would say we'd grab Buium if we didn't have such a deep pool. Just seems like a winner. Led the USA in +/-. Still think he could be the pick.

Levshunov would be my Habs surprise pick. Not Russian technically though Belarus will likely not exist as a country before his career is over as their language has already started becoming a minority language within Belarus. Plus he's in the NCAA already.

Lindstrom is the obvious current Habs philosophy pick if we draft high enough, but I think he's going early like the Tkachuks. Big, fast, good hands, has holes to work on.

I thought it was pretty obvious last year we'd grab Reinbacher from this point in the season, but I have no idea this year because our pick location could vary quite a bit more this year and this draft doesn't fit what the team needs, and to be honest, this team has drafted from need for the past 10 years across multiple scouting staffs.

I'll just guess Iginla, Greentree, or Buium at this point. I think we're going to feel very Carey Pricey after this draft if they feel a dman is better than any of the forwards available again. I don't think they'll take Eiserman, Catton or Demidov and I think it will upset people. I am not confident they're definitely going to take a forward.

Sad Celebrini is the only high end center who will play center in the NHL.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iginla one of the youngest players in the draft?
Yes, hes like 47 weeks younger than MBN, a massive difference if you ask me.
Liam Greentree might be ahead of MBN and Tij on draft day for me.
I think so for MBN and Im unsure for Tij. All three are similar players, I must say.

I see a lot of Meier/Kane with Tij, something I really like. I think we could use a guy like him in our lineup.

Greentree is Corey Perry all the way, without the reptile way of life, well as of now. Always good, but I think we may lack speed to exploit him and Roy in our lineup. Hes also a lot like Wood, from last year, whom I loved.

MBN has the lowest offensive ceiling of the three IMO.

Reactions: bcv

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Yes, hes like 47 weeks younger than MBN, a massive difference if you ask me.

I think so for MBN and Im unsure for Tij. All three are similar players, I must say.

I see a lot of Meier/Kane with Tij, something I really like. I think we could use a guy like him in our lineup.

Greentree is Corey Perry all the way, without the reptile way of life, well as of now. Always good, but I think we may lack speed to exploit him and Roy in our lineup. Hes also a lot like Wood, from last year, whom I loved.

MBN has the lowest offensive ceiling of the three IMO.
Loved Wood last year, makes sense why I like Greentree.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we keep winning meaningless games, I wouldn't be against drafting Iginla (say, at 12). Huge bet on upside, I wouldn't mind it.
I mean you're betting on upside, true, but there's a scenario where he ends up being just a serviceable NHL player too, he has the size, speed, elusiveness, shot to be at the very least a useful 3rd liner.

The upside is also very enticing.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I mean you're betting on upside, true, but there's a scenario where he ends up being just a serviceable NHL player too, he has the size, speed, elusiveness, shot to be at the very least a useful 3rd liner.

The upside is also very enticing.
Yeah I think a lot of scouts saw his high upside but he's also starting to show that he might have a high floor. Who knows, if he had gotten actual playing time last year he could be ranked along with Catton already.

No offense to MBN, in comparison, but I just don't think he has the same skillset.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Getting harder and harder for me to ignore Parekh. I don't usually tend to rate smaller offensive dmen with questionable defense as highly, but his numbers are too much to ignore at this point. 59pts in 39 games with 20 goals, leading the way on a Memorial Cup hopeful team is damn impressive. Someone I would definitely have in consideration at our current range despite the D cupboards overflowing, something I wouldn't have said a couple of months ago.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
1000007121.png

Demidov tracking looking real good (albeit in MHL). No excuse this time around.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
View attachment 805155

Demidov tracking looking real good (albeit in MHL). No excuse this time around.
I’m increasingly of the opinion that if celibrini and/or Demidov are there when we draft we have to take them considering our lack of forward depth. If they are gone then, depending on where we pick, the next 5-7 best players might be defensmen. Catton/helenius/Lindstrom are the only forwards that might make me change that opinion depending on how they finish their years.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I’m increasingly of the opinion that if celibrini and/or Demidov are there when we draft we have to take them considering our lack of forward depth. If they are gone then, depending on where we pick, the next 5-7 best players might be defensmen. Catton/helenius/Lindstrom are the only forwards that might make me change that opinion depending on how they finish their years.
Demidov and/or Eiserman falling to our pick is our only chance to redeem our terrible tanking.

MBN can’t stop scoring since he’s back from the world juniors. Another goal today and there still 1 period to go.
Scary times... the only way I want MBN is if we trade something else for Zegras.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think Zeev Buium will be the best D in this draft class. He looks a superstar in the making. A Stud.
He is pretty good, very high IQ and skills set. What impresses me the most is his puck protection skills in the offensive zone, uses his free arm to sheild away from his opponents, a bit like Subban used to do in his first few years with the Habs, or similary to Peter Forsberg who was easily one of the toughest players to steal the puck from. Buium's skating and puck poise is quite something too, commentators were comparing his puck rushes to Brian Leetch nothing less. :laugh:

Ive been tracking his last 2 games and while he looked good, I was still expecting a bit more TBH, couldnt display his talent level consistently and had some struggle at times defensively. Im being pretty severe though, cause if we are going to draft another defenseman, he better be f***ing good!

Will watch his next 2 games and Im going to post a video highlights from those 4 tracked games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad