HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
So many Ds will get overrated in the top15 this year. I honestly think we could grab TWO top-6 forwards if we're smart.

Let's say we trade Matheson for pick 14. As it stands with CSS rankings, we're looking at something like

Demidov/Catton/Eiserman + Nygard/Greentree/Iginla

That would boost our prospect pool so much.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Safe to say between 70-80 points this year. Should be enough to get us into the 6-10 range where we are guaranteed a good forward.
Even if all top forwards are gone, we should be able to get a mint for our pick. It would meant stud right shot defense man still available.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Even if all top forwards are gone, we should be able to get a mint for our pick. It would meant stud right shot defense man still available.
Indeed, if somehow all the top 5 are forwards, that means a stud dmen is available to the Habs.

But we are seeing dmen raising up in the draft faster than they did last year despite already being D top heavy. Half the top 16 were dmen at the start of the season on Bob's list with 5 of them in the top 10. Now it seems that Buium teleported into the top 10 as well and there are a few other Ds climbing into the top 15.

And you have forwards dropping because of red flags, not just because the dmen are sexier.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Well if the draft was held today good chance that 3 of the top 5 picks would be defenseman. Silayev, Buium and Levshunov all have different traits that scouts love.

Good for the Habs. There is a world where we get to chose between Demidov, Lindstrom and Connelly.

Reactions: jrom and jaffy27

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Well if the draft was held today good chance that 3 of the top 5 picks would be defenseman. Silayev, Buium and Levshunov all have different traits that scouts love.

Good for the Habs. There is a world where we get to chose between Demidov, Lindstrom and Connelly.
From the scouting reports I've read on Connelly, I really doubt he's on the Habs draft list where they will pick. Questionable compete level don't get pass Lapointe.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
From the scouting reports I've read on Connelly, I really doubt he's on the Habs draft list where they will pick. Questionable compete level don't get pass Lapointe.
No his play away from the puck is fine. He also isn't scared to take the puck to the net. Beautiful skater and great hands.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I'd rather draft a forward this year, but there are spots in the first half of the first round where the BPAs are all dmen by a pretty large margin. We might end up having to be pragmatic .
Really depends on how the draft unfolds imo. The only dman I have above Catton or Demidov is Dickinson. When we reach the next tier though, sure, it would be stupid to pick a forward.

If we're 12 and have to choose between Iginla and Buuim/Parekh... No brainer

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
No his play away from the puck is fine. He also isn't scared to take the puck to the net. Beautiful skater and great hands.
I'm not talking about his play away from the puck. Compete level is an intangible that can translate different ways unto the ice or even off ice sometimes.

Lets just say the report I've read suggest he should drop quite a bit despite his great hands and skating. And we aren't even talking about the other thing that makes him a sure no draft for the Habs. They don't want to have to deal with that circus again after Mailloux.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm not talking about his play away from the puck. Compete level is an intangible that can translate different ways unto the ice or even off ice sometimes.

Lets just say the report I've read suggest he should drop quite a bit despite his great hands and skating. And we aren't even talking about the other thing that makes him a sure no draft for the Habs. They don't want to have to deal with that circus again after Mailloux.
Well hes doing the opposite of dropping Ala Eiserman, he's rising on draft lists currently.

As for whether the Habs take him or not, I think actually the Mailloux situation shows them that they can deal with it. As this won't be nearly as bad since Connelly has done a ton of voluntary community service work since.

They also won't have dummy Bergevin doing the press conference. Kent Hughes and Nick Bobrov are well spoken and highly intelligent.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Well hes doing the opposite of dropping Ala Eiserman, he's rising on draft lists currently.

As for whether the Habs take him or not, I think actually the Mailloux situation shows them that they can deal with it. As this won't be nearly as bad since Connelly has done a ton of voluntary community service work since.

They also won't have dummy Bergevin doing the press conference. Kent Hughes and Nick Bobrov are well spoken and highly intelligent.
I'm not sure where you are seeing Connelly raising. Button had him 11th in September and 18th in his recent mid-season rankings. He's mostly ranked in the 2nd half of the 1st round (but not everyone has posted their mid-season rankings yet).

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm not sure where you are seeing Connelly raising. Button had him 11th in September and 18th in his recent mid-season rankings. He's mostly ranked in the 2nd half of the 1st round (but not everyone has posted their mid-season rankings yet).
Yesterday central scouting had him 5th on their NA list.

Also Snake Boisvert said he would take him 2nd overall last night

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Is Lindstrom really a play driving 1C or a Byfield-esque winger? Because Demidov and Catton look like play driving 1Cs and I would prefer that.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The ‘Snake’ says he had Connelly as a clear #2 overall

Not sure about #2 overall but he certainly could be a top 10 pick and will be a 'riser'

Where there any other issue with him other than the swastika thing? That appeared to me as immaturity and not knowing the extent of his action.

Reactions: McGees

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Is Lindstrom really a play driving 1C or an opportunistic finisher who has a good 2 way game? Because Demidov and Catton look like play drivers and would prefer that.
I would actually say he's much more of a play-driver than a finisher. Don't get me wrong, his goal-scoring instincts are very good, but he's not a sniper. He won't beat goalies clean from distance. What elevated his status to top-5 for me is the playmaking he developed this year.

His production ceiling is lower than Catton's and Demidov's imo based on pure points, but he will have a huge impact all over the ice. Byfield is a good comparison, so is Dach, with better shooting.

Reactions: Jaynki and Gravity

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I would actually say he's much more of a play-driver than a finisher. Don't get me wrong, his goal-scoring instincts are very good, but he's not a sniper. He won't beat goalies clean from distance. What elevated his status to top-5 for me is the playmaking he developed this year.

His production ceiling is lower than Catton's and Demidov's imo based on pure points, but he will have a huge impact all over the ice. Byfield is a good comparison, so is Dach, with better shooting.
Thanks, I edited my post just before your reply. We need a superstar and should take a player with a sky high ceiling imo.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Is Lindstrom really a play driving 1C or a Byfield-esque winger? Because Demidov and Catton look like play driving 1Cs and I would prefer that.
He is a puck possession center. Demidov is a winger and Catton could pretty well end up on the wing as well.

The hype on Catton is quite something, I saw comparisons to Hughes and Stutzle and the kid just doesnt have that level of skating and wheels. He will need to beef up quite a bit too and Im not sure he has that type of frame where he can add alot of meat.

Actutally Catton is more in the mold of a Benson than the game breaking type of talent people want to believe, if he was, he would be in the discussions for 1st OV. personally I have him around 8-10 OV.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Not sure about #2 overall but he certainly could be a top 10 pick and will be a 'riser'

Where there any other issue with him other than the swastika thing? That appeared to me as immaturity and not knowing the extent of his action.
He was accused of using a racial slur on the ice but that turned out to be bogus.

The swastika was his friend made a swastika out of books at a library and he took a picture of it and put it on Instagram as a joke tagging his friend. He was 16 and did community service after it happened to better himself.

Passing on a kid that talented for THAT seems crazy to me. Especially when he's much better than some of these other guys being talked about in the top 10. His talent is on the same level as Demidov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad