HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There’s multiple ways to skin a cat. Different types of roster can win a cup. You just need a very good team and a lot of luck along the way.

Copy cat league where whoever team wins people go like “we should copy them”. Until another team with a different style win and now it’s “we should copy them”.

Also the oilers are impossible to replicate. We’re not drafting a Draisaitl let alone a McDavid no matter how hard we try.

I really like that middle statement and I believe in this too. Yeah, it's nice to copy cat but you got to be smart enough to build while you use copy cat strategies. At the end of the day, you need a complete roster who battles hard. You need it all (Skill, Skating, Grit, Defense, Offense, PP, PK, goaltending). It's almost impossible to have top grades in all categories but you can ensure your lowest grade is still well above average.

Skill is a must have and at the very least, you need centers and wingers who can shoot the puck.

Skating is also a must have. Especially in the key areas.

Size/Grit/Weight. Size don't matter any more is complete BS. You need at least half your roster to be warrior types.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We need another scoring threat. That much is obvious. Demidov is my hope on that end.

At the same time. Having a big, nasty, fast defence can truly set the stage for lengthy playoff runs, and make your goalie look amazing. See 2021 Habs.

If we end don't draft Demidov or Lindstrom. I want one of Levshunov, Dickinson or Silyayev.....probably in that order.

Dickinson is my favourite of the three, but that RD spot is tough to fill. Levshunov would look incredible with this team.

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

That is a First pair(a), First pair (b) and second pair playing third pair type defence right there.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
And Levshunov's stock didn't?
I really think it's 50/50 for those two at 2
I think his stock has more or less stayed where it was. We got Demidov's updated heights/weight which definitely improved his stock and we got the Michkov news which should help ease concerns around the Russian factor.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need another scoring threat. That much is obvious. Demidov is my hope on that end.

At the same time. Having a big, nasty, fast defence can truly set the stage for lengthy playoff runs, and make your goalie look amazing. See 2021 Habs.

If we end don't draft Demidov or Lindstrom. I want one of Levshunov, Dickinson or Silyayev.....probably in that order.

Dickinson is my favourite of the three, but that RD spot is tough to fill. Levshunov would look incredible with this team.

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

That is a First pair(a), First pair (b) and second pair playing third pair type defence right there.

Here is a question... Can you win with a smaller group of forwards but a monster D and a top 10 goalie? I don't even think our 2021 forward group was that small.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think his stock has more or less stayed where it was. We got Demidov's updated heights/weight which definitely improved his stock and we got the Michkov news which should help ease concerns around the Russian factor.

With Dimidov's new weight, I doubt he is there at 5 now. I think the Hawks are taking him. That would be smart IMO because it allows them to put fans in the seats with Bedard and Demidov while also taking another 5 years to draft more studs and work on the D and other holes to fill. If the Hawks take a D now and that guy turns the defensive needle slightly (during their rebuild/transition), that might push them up the standings a bit. Let Bedard and Demidov run wild while they entertain fans and still loose. Another top 5 pick to come in the next few drafts.

This is basically what is happening with the Habs. Our forwards are a bit more matured than the D so we might also have more top 10 picks in the next 2 drafts. Hard to say but if it was reversed, a good coach would get good results from a strong young D that is touching maturity.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Here is a question... Can you win with a smaller group of forwards but a monster D and a top 10 goalie? I don't even think our 2021 forward group was that small.
As Habs7631 said earlier....

Until another team with a different style win and now it’s “we should copy them”.

There are numerous team builds that can win you a cup. Could that mix you are asking win one....absolutely. That smaller forward group better score some goals though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am also lower on him but would still be excited if we picked him

I doubt the big and only RD makes it to 5 tho.

Mind blowing how deep we have looked into several guys from 2-13. Lots of cases to be made by all kinds of fans.

As Habs7631 said earlier....

Until another team with a different style win and now it’s “we should copy them”.

There are numerous team builds that can win you a cup. Could that mix you are asking win one....absolutely. That smaller forward group better score some goals though.

That's for the gullible types who don't know how to comprehend that strategy of copy cat well. Most savvy hockey guys already have their plan but the draft is tricky. Look how long it's taking Yzerman in Detroit.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Mind blowing how deep we have looked into several guys from 2-13. Lots of cases to be made by all kinds of fans.

That's for the gullible types who don't know how to comprehend that strategy of copy cat well. Most savvy hockey guys already have their plan but the draft is tricky. Look how long it's taking Yzerman in Detroit.
For us Habs, I believe our key is going to be our depth. We will never have a McDavid or Draisatl or Matthews or MacKinnon.

What we have is a large group of players that can all elevate their game to the next level.

Can Slaf become a Rantanen? or even better?

Can Suzuki elevate his play to a Bergeron level? Even 90% of what Bergeron was.

Can Caufield pot us 40 goals...for at least a few years?

What exactly is Kirby? We were teased with an elite puck possession monster for small portions of the season a couple of years ago. Injuries have made us forget what his ceiling could be.

What is Hutson? Is he the next coming of Quinn Hughes? Cale Makar? or Victor Mete?

Guhle....Reinbacher....Mailloux.....each of these guys has top pair potential.

A lot of unknowns. Like I said, I want to add an elite scoring threat to that forward group, as I am slightly more confident in the d corps. But, if we miss out on Demidov.....or Lindstrom.....I am happy to add even more to that D corp.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just for reference, before we get Mckenzie's updated rankings later this morning, here are his post lottery rankings from early May:

1- Celebrini
2- Demidov
3- Silayev
4- Levshunov
5- Lindstrom
6- Dickinson
7- Parekh
8- Buium
9- Helenius
10- Iginla
11- Catton
12- Yakemchuk
13- Eiserman
14- Sennecke
15- Connelly

It will be interesting to see who has moved up and down and these rankings.
Given our injury history I would draft Ignila over Lindstrom. I think Ignila be better goal scorer. It's his shot and he seems know where to go on ice.

Reactions: phillytennis

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
With Dimidov's new weight, I doubt he is there at 5 now. I think the Hawks are taking him. That would be smart IMO because it allows them to put fans in the seats with Bedard and Demidov while also taking another 5 years to draft more studs and work on the D and other holes to fill. If the Hawks take a D now and that guy turns the defensive needle slightly (during their rebuild/transition), that might push them up the standings a bit. Let Bedard and Demidov run wild while they entertain fans and still loose. Another top 5 pick to come in the next few drafts.

This is basically what is happening with the Habs. Our forwards are a bit more matured than the D so we might also have more top 10 picks in the next 2 drafts. Hard to say but if it was reversed, a good coach would get good results from a strong young D that is touching maturity.

Not that I disagree with you, but teams are better off taking defensemen earlier in their rebuild as they take longer to develop normally. Obviously, if you have the chance to pick a world class prospect like Bedard, that's different. It will be interesting to see what they do. Next years draft seems to be very heavy on forwards as well...so there's that to keep in mind too.

Reactions: CDN24

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For us Habs, I believe our key is going to be our depth. We will never have a McDavid or Draisatl or Matthews or MacKinnon.

What we have is a large group of players that can all elevate their game to the next level.

Can Slaf become a Rantanen? or even better?

Can Suzuki elevate his play to a Bergeron level? Even 90% of what Bergeron was.

Can Caufield pot us 40 goals...for at least a few years?

What exactly is Kirby? We were teased with an elite puck possession monster for small portions of the season a couple of years ago. Injuries have made us forget what his ceiling could be.

What is Hutson? Is he the next coming of Quinn Hughes? Cale Makar? or Victor Mete?

Guhle....Reinbacher....Mailloux.....each of these guys has top pair potential.

A lot of unknowns. Like I said, I want to add an elite scoring threat to that forward group, as I am slightly more confident in the d corps. But, if we miss out on Demidov.....or Lindstrom.....I am happy to add even more to that D corp.

I think our rebuild is tracking for us to be like the Canes. Canes have not won but they are a top 10 contender. Habs may not get to top 5 contender status. Hard to guess at that part.

* Suzuki is good. Ideally, we want someone just as good in our top 2C.

* Dach is that guy we need to break out. Was awesome in camp last year and on the cusp of showing us how dominate he can be. I think he is only going to get stronger as he approaches that critical 25-30 age range.

* Slaf has shown he has top 6F from what I have seen last year. Not pumping him to top line just yet. Need to see another season and yes, we all like his 2nd half last year. It was impressive but he was playing full time with Suzuki. I personally want to see him do it with Dach and if he does, I'm a believer.

* Caufield will be Caufield. What you see is what you get. He's going to have flashes of brilliance and moments of fading in shadows. Work on getting those shoulders and arms stronger because those big boys are going to crunch him into the boards at times.

* With Roy, it's early yet. Is he a true top 6F or a middle 6F type. I think he has top 6F in him but this coming season is a big one for him.

* Newhook is a middle 6F and has to show me more to be pushed to top 6F. I like his work ethic and energy. I would not have plans to place him at center full time. He's my winger who can play center if we get into injury issues.

* Guhle is a strong top 4D and on the cusp of top paring. He's our best proven young D right now.

* Reinbacher should round out into a very good top 4D. Top pairing? Maybe, but it's early and we need 2 more seasons before we have a better picture.

* Mailloux and Xhekaj are underrated. So is Barron. I think all 3 of these guys will be great once they are fully matured. Mailloux is one to watch because he had a great AHL season last year.

* Hutson is our wild card. He's got to get stronger in upper body and lower body IMO. Might have shoulder issues like Caufield.

* So many others to talk about but they are middle to bottom of the line-up. Depth will not be an issue for the Habs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: waitin425

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Given our injury history I would draft Ignila over Lindstrom. I think Ignila be better goal scorer. It's his shot and he seems know where to go on ice.

For me, I think Iginla is the safest prospect in the Top 10 along with Dickinson (after Celebrini). I think both Iginla and Dickinson are basically guaranteed top 6 forward and top 4 defenseman. After that, do they have the highest upside? No, neither of them do, but I think the upside is still definitely high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not that I disagree with you, but teams are better off taking defensemen earlier in their rebuild as they take longer to develop normally. Obviously, if you have the chance to pick a world class prospect like Bedard, that's different. It will be interesting to see what they do. Next years draft seems to be very heavy on forwards as well...so there's that to keep in mind too.

Yes, The D takes longer but my strategy if I was the Hawks would be to take the D after Bedard and Demidov. Avs and Tampa didn't win cups until their top stars were 26-28 ish. That's 8-10 more years for the Hawks before Bedard gets to that level. McDavid's first finals was at age 27.

If the Hawks take a D now and he turns the defensive needle, they might rise into the 10-15 range picks faster than they should. Look at the rollercoaster ride the Sabres, Sens, Wings, Devils have gone through with their rebuilds. We are talking 5-10 years before you surface as a legit contender.

A proper rebuild is staying low as long as you can.. without hurting your business.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For me, I think Iginla is the safest prospect in the Top 10 along with Dickinson (after Celebrini). I think both Iginla and Dickinson are basically guaranteed top 6 forward and top 4 defenseman. After that, do they have the highest upside? No, neither of them do, but I think the upside is still definitely high.

It's almost impossible to predict who reaches their upside or not. Got to pick the guy who has the best development resume and is trending in the right direction. Someone who is obsessed at improving and never settles

I'm also high on Iggy and Dickinson. Good Canadian boys who have great resumes and are trending well. Risks are low with these two. I agree.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

My money would be on the Jackets taking Lindstrom. Center and a drowning Gaudreau is fresh on their minds. They need serious center injection on that roster. Both in the future and now.

Sharks (Celebrini)
Hawks (Demidov)
Ducks (Dickinson or one of the D)
Jackets (Lindstrom)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
At least if Chicago goes Demidov, I'm gonna win a 100 bucks and if we take Buium I'm getting 150 bucks.

Could be a nice windfall for me if the draft goes to hell for the Habs.
and so Chicago will take Levshunov and the Habs will take Sennecke. :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As we speak, TSN staffers are busy putting Bob under a cold shower, propping him up with black coffee and dodging empty cans of margarita. Can't wait to see his list in a few hours :DD

Bob is ready. He's got a few Bobby Margaritas in him by now.

SY0DXrR.png

• Haha
Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lindstrom to me does it with brute strength and force. Ignila good shot yes, but touch of Suzuki hockey smart in him. Sennecke is late upcomer. I am skeptical of moving players way up based on small sample size. After did same with Kostitsyn and Kotkaniemi. If we want Sennecke I would trade down 2 or 3 slots, gain asset use it to move 26 into Dach type player. Not Necas though, I think he wrong fit.

Reactions: bopeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad