HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Silayev is gonna be a menace for years to come. Hope the anti-Silayev crowd is ready to eat some CROW.
He's an absolute unit already. It's easy to imagine him in 10 years in his prime, rocking a playoff beard and hoisting the cup
1719257878412.png

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
He's an absolute unit already. It's easy to imagine him in 10 years in his prime, rocking a playoff beard and hoisting the cupView attachment 886306
They always predict any big bastard in the draft to be the next Chara.. but the problem is, there is no next Chara. The word Unicorn gets thrown around a lot, but Chara truly was one.

I hate him and I miss hating him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You seem to be conflating top pairing with HOF!

Well, most top pairing and #1C end up in the HOF. Not all of them but a large amount. Regardless, I do consider top pairing and #1 very high levels.

Suzuki is a #1C on our team but not on the top 15 or 20 teams. That sort of thingy. Is Matheson a #1 pairing to you? 60 pts :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They always predict any big bastard in the draft to be the next Chara.. but the problem is, there is no next Chara. The word Unicorn gets thrown around a lot, but Chara truly was one.

I hate him and I miss hating him.

I've compared Xhekaj to Chara but only in terms of presence and physical/nasty style of play. Then others try to say I'm comparing him to all levels including his points and goals. :facepalm:.

I agree with you that nobody will be the next Chara. But comparisons are not usually comprehended well because posters want to fight and nit pick/belittle. It's a got cha game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is not that I would necessarily bet that Byram becomes a top pairing D which is a subjective term and some would take that to mean that he would need to supplant Dahlin as the number one LHD at some point. The real point is that it does not make sense at all to write him off as a non top pairing dman after just finishing his 22 year old season and having battled enormous injury issues. Byram absolutely still has top pairing upside, whether he raeches this blurry line or not remains to be seen.....if indeed it ultimately can be seen.

Nah, I can see Byram reaching top 4D and maybe some consider him to be that now but there are many flaws to sort out. Probability tells me Byram can be an OK top 4D or a very good top 4D but it's not likely he reaches top pairing at this stage. Usually, with #1C and top pairing studs, you know early on.

Look at Slaf. Lots of fans from our herd think he is on his way to top line forward but what he really did last year was show top 6F ability. He has many hurdles to overcome to get to top line level.

I guess it depends on the threshold of what each person thinks. At one point in time Domi was voted more valuable than Price on our boards because he had one good season. That don't count for me. Need more sample size than that.

I think you need to put up more than 3 seasons of very high numbers to earn that status. This ultimate team sport can make players look good at times... when they are in the right situation.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Look at Slaf. Lots of fans from our herd think he is on his way to top line forward but what he really did last year was show top 6F ability. He has many hurdles to overcome to get to top line level.
an NHL 50 points season in your D+2, especially after starting with 2-3 points in the first 20 games is on-par with the likes of Jack Hughes, Leon Draisaitl and Tim Stutzle.

He has shown superstar potential.

Top 6F are barely in the NHL in their D+2 and are likely those who had big junior/NCAA years this season like Cutter Gauthier

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
and this board melts down

Only the gullible ones will melt down.

If the Habs take Dickenson or one of the D, they think there they are undisputed BPA. This is about establishing the waives of talent more than listing guys one after another.

an NHL 50 points season in your D+2, especially after starting with 2-3 points in the first 20 games is on-par with the likes of Jack Hughes, Leon Draisaitl and Tim Stutzle.

He has shown superstar potential.

Top 6F are barely in the NHL in their D+2 and are likely those who had big junior/NCAA years this season like Cutter Gauthier

That doesn't mean he breaks out like them in the future. What it means is he is on a great development track. Hold your horses because last year proved he can be a top 6F. He has to earn the next waive of production to reach the next level. You can believe he can and will but that's an unknown and a guess.

I like what I see too but lets not pump 50 pts and 20 goals to 30 goals and 70+ pts yet. Let him get to that level and earn it. Basically, I give them the status once they ern it, not before based on hope or being on a good track.

You are basically approaching it like his agent and I'm approaching it like a NHL GM. NHL GM's like to pay guys for what they do, not what the future says as a possibility. Agents like to pump up their client and get paid for future growth. But for every player who shows promise and reaches it, there are many others who don't reach it.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Silayev is gonna be a menace and a brickwall for years to come. Hope the anti-Silayev crowd is ready to eat some CROW.
What’s more likely is the crowd that doesn’t want him won’t say anything even if he busts. The likely outcome is that random posters who have 7 favourite players this draft will say “I KNEW WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED SILAYEV” if he hits 5 years from now.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
This place will definitely go nuts as early as the 2nd pick, definitely hoping it's Levshunov

1 of Demidov or Lindstrom will have made this whole thing all worth it for me, and hundreds of pages worthless lol

Just the beginning then, they’ll be a bust by August

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
ONE BOLD PREDICTION

If the Canadiens don’t find a trade for a bona fide top-six forward that makes sense to them, I think they’ll try to package the 26th pick with other assets to acquire another top-10 pick.
From Eric Engels, the man who guaranteed a PLD to Montreal trade last summer lol.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
According to Basu his guess on the Habs top 5

Lindstrom
Demidov
Buium
Sennecke
Iginla.

Godin's

Lindstrom
Levshunov
Demidov
Buium

And he's not even sure if there's a number 5.

Basu says if Levshunov and Silayev are there, the Habs will have interest.

Lindstrom
Levshunov
Demidov
Buium
Silayev

For Basu's updated list as he assumes Silayev and Levshunov will go before the habs pick.

Reactions: SlafySZN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad