HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
PLAN A

1. We draft Demidov
2. We use trading chips (matheson) to get Mcgroarty out of WPG

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Demidov- Dach - Mcgroarty
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

PLAN B

If Demidov is off the board when we pick

1. We draft Dickinson
2. We trade Mailloux and WPG first rounder for Zegras
3. We use trading chips (matheson) to get Mcgroarty out of WPG

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Zegras - Dach - Mcgroarty
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Dickinson - Reinbacher
Hutson - Guhle

PLAN C

If Demidov and Dickinson are off the board when we pick

1. We draft Buium
2. We trade Hutson for Zegras
3. We use trading chips (matheson) to get Mcgroarty out of WPG

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Zegras - Dach - Mcgroarty
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Buium - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

PLAN D

If Demidov, Dickinson and Buium are off the board when we pick

1. We draft Ignila or Lindstrom
2. We use trading chips (matheson) to get Mcgroarty out of WPG

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Ignila/Lindstrom - Dach - Mcgroarty
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Hutson- Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

Lots of possibilities....
Good post.

Couple of points. Each one of your scenarios has McGroarty slotted in as the RW on the 2nd line. First of all, this is far from a sure bet. His performance last season in the NCAA was solid but 16 goals does not scream triggerman at the NHL level. What's more, I'm not convinced that a 30 year old Matheson is what the Jets would demand in return. He'd help, sure, but with Morrissey firmly established as the team's number one LD, the Jets may want to address other areas of concern.

Also, your Plan C involves replacing Huston with Buium as the team's premier offensive defender. This after Huston has played all of two professional games (but nonetheless managed to pull Habs fans out of their seats in both). Is it so absolutely clear that Buium is an upgrade? What if Huston goes on the be a superstar in Anaheim, and Buium is merely solid with the Habs? Not to mention the risk that surrounds Zegras....

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank JT

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
and this board melts down

At this point I think Jeff Gorton would pull a veto and announce the pick himself. He mentioned that elite forwards (*michkov) only fall to you every once in a while and he allowed his scouting team to go a different route. It won't happen again. Remember at the end of the day, he's the boss and they all work under him, even Kent Hughes

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
There are a few on your list that are not top pairing. I would say 50-66% of them are though. There is a fair amount of the guys you listed as lower end top pairing and higher end top 4D. That's exactly what I am talking about with Silayev. A strong top 4D. The issue here is thinking that some guys are top pairing when they have 1 or 2 good seasons and the rest are more like top 4D quality. Personally, I don't have 64 top pairing guys in the NHL today (32 teams x 2). Just because some guys are in that role to fill the hole, it don't mean they are for all teams kind of thing. Same as Suzuki... #1C on the Habs but not on 15+ teams in the NHL.

That's 8 drafts and I'm assuming you looked from the 2000 draft? 8 in 24 drafts where you found 2+ hits as top pairing. This draft year might be one of those where 2-4 happens? Doubt it
You seem to be conflating top pairing with HOF!

Your definition of a top pairing seems to be Norris caliber defenseman. No, those are candidate for top 5 best defenseman in the league, not first pairing defenseman.

Teams more often than not don't have on the regular the likes of Suter, Werenski, Jones, Reilly, Chabot, Morrissey, etc. on their second pairing. Those defenseman would slot in as #2 on the first pair on most team and as #1 defenseman in low level team. To me that is the definition of a first pairing defenseman. You are not gonna get 4 Makar/Karlsson in this season's draft this is common sense. Like you are not going to find 4 Draisaitl level forward this year's draft.

There is a difference between superstar (McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov) and first liner (Aho, Barkov, Barzal). Doesn't mean the second group are just "strong 2nd liner").

Exactly. Well put.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I am already prepared for the following events to unfold on the 28th of June:

View attachment 886247

Martin Lapoine : "Nick, Columbus just took Lindstrom. We are picking after the commercial break. Demidov is on the board, so is Iginla, Buium and Dickinson. Who are we going with"

Nick Brobov: "I think Sam Dickinson and Buium have the potential to become fantastic defenseman".

Kent Hughes: "Aren't we already loaded at LD tho?"

Nick Brobov : "Always go for BPA Kent. Remember Reinbacher last season: see how he performed last season in the last 10 games with the Rockets?"

Martin Lapointe : "He is right Kent, I think those defenseman are too high profile to pass on. I say we pick the first on our list".

View attachment 886246

Kent Hughes: "With the 5th Overall selection of the 2024 entry draft, the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select, from the OHL London Knights: Sam Dickinson".

View attachment 886252

Sam Dickinson: " I am so proud of being part of this historical organisation. I compare myself stylistically to Kaiden Ghule, I can't wait to meet him and learn from his experience".
More like :

Bobrov : I really think this Silayev kid can transition to C in a few years. Love the versatility

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

ONE BOLD PREDICTION

If the Canadiens don’t find a trade for a bona fide top-six forward that makes sense to them, I think they’ll try to package the 26th pick with other assets to acquire another top-10 pick.

Under this scenario, they could select two future core players and turn to free agency to fill more immediate needs.

It’s anything but assured they’ll be able to make such a move, but that’s why they call it a bold prediction.

this has been my hope for weeks now. i assume the targets would be Sennecke, Catton, and maybe even Eiserman

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

ONE BOLD PREDICTION

If the Canadiens don’t find a trade for a bona fide top-six forward that makes sense to them, I think they’ll try to package the 26th pick with other assets to acquire another top-10 pick.

Under this scenario, they could select two future core players and turn to free agency to fill more immediate needs.

It’s anything but assured they’ll be able to make such a move, but that’s why they call it a bold prediction.

this has been my hope for weeks now. i assume the targets would be Sennecke, Catton, and maybe even Eiserman
get lidstrom and Sennecke
win win win

Reactions: BoneHutson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It seems so because consuming a gallon of milk a day is a fantastic way to get fat for most people, even athletes

At 20 years old with his hormonal profile, a couple of months in the gym with a +/- 300-500 calorie surplus should suffice, not downing jugs of milk like a lardaass

You look like a milk bag is the unbeaten best ever chirp. Ryan Kesler iirc

I really recommend reading this guy's take on Silayev. His entire write-up of the draft is great.

:hit:

Silayev met with the Habs

Here go red here we go ~~~~

• Love
Reactions: WinterLion

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I want to hear that now it's Iginla that were taking so more people can freak out

There's too many good players to freak out IMO. My top picks are Demidov, Lindstrom and Buium. But I'd be good with guys like Iggy, Freaky Dicky Dickinson and Catton.

Although in Lindstrom's case, I'm still debating internally wether to officially place him in my DND list because of the herniated disc. I know many people who suffered that injury and life constantly gets worse.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They either need an ultra elite talent like demidov or elite players that play on the inside where the team needs to start playing in order to be effective. Habs have Suzuki, Dach, and Slaf who can make plays and are heavy puck dominant players. Iginla and Lindstrom would compliment this team way more than catton
Catton's an ultra-elite talent.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
does KH take him? Sasky boy
I think 90% of the fanbase would be pleasantly surprised to see Catton taken. But I don't know, because there could be legitimately better prospects left up.

If it goes
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Silayev
  4. Lindstrom
  5. I would take Catton yes, and I think he's BPA for the Habs then.

But if one of the above four is available... oh boy, it's tough to say. I, personally, wouldn't take Lindstrom over him but the draw of another unicorn forward is too much for HuGoBo I think.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016

b661302f4581291be911be2d71856385.png

200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad