HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's not. You don't see none of that, you only have one focal point in a live viewing, you're not superhuman. Multiple angles, replays, slo-mos, etc >>>> any old boy tales.
You go there, usually with the intention of watching 1, or 2 players mainly and then the others. You notice the others when something they do is unexpected, but for the most part you're watching very few.

You can do a lot with video now, less travel and more of when you have the time.

I mean, people here pretty much already do that. Take a list watch highlights and then make their own list.

It's why what montreal does is so valuable to most, if not all of us as he does the grunt work to give us what we want to see and he does it well.

You don't get to see the little nuances. It's also important to talk to a player after a big win/loss to see how their mindset is, especially as a younger player, they might be more open with their thoughts than generic responses.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It is actually a highly probable scenario lmao.

Celebrini to SJS, Demiglove to CHI, Levshunov to ANA, Lindstrom to CLB
Chicago holds the key. If they draft Levshunov, one of Demdov or Lindstrom should be there at 5 (Anaheim is 99.99% drafting a D). If neither ID nor CL is there at 5, I would take Iginla without much hesitation. I love Buium bet relying on trading one of our D for a top 6 F is just a "fool's gold" IMO.

Reactions: dinodebino

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago holds the key. If they draft Levshunov, one of Demdov or Lindstrom should be there at 5 (Anaheim is 99.99% drafting a D). If neither ID nor CL is there at 5, I would take Iginla without much hesitation. I love Buium bet relying on trading one of our D for a top 6 F is just a "fool's gold" IMO.
I’m a big fan of semi-glock at #5, than Lindstrom and Iginla. Like you, I wouldn’t go D in the hope of getting a top 6 young F via trade unless a deal is already in place.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Grant saying Montreal has interest in Letourneau and Letourneau has had a few meetings with the Habs throughout the year and at the combine. Sounds like 2 meetings total.

Also mentioned Dallas and Utah.

I'm hoping for him as he's a "local" kid to the area.

Just like Jack Quinn a few seasons ago.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Grant saying Montreal has interest in Letourneau and Letourneau has had a few meetings with the Habs throughout the year and at the combine. Sounds like 2 meetings total.

Miss me with those wasted ass picks. There's gonna be a seriously good prospect at 26, Letourneau isn't one of them.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

I think IF we keep that late 1st (big if based on last couple drafts), it'll be him or Basha

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's not. You don't see none of that, you only have one focal point in a live viewing, you're not superhuman. Multiple angles, replays, slo-mos, etc >>>> any old boy tales.

It is. At least I notice a lot of stuff live that I otherwise wouldn't. It's why I'm such a simp for Iginla. I feel very confident about how much further ahead his reactions are than his peers, because I saw it up close.

• Love
Reactions: SOLR and Andrei79

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I think IF we keep that late 1st (big if based on last couple drafts), it'll be him or Basha
basha.jpeg

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It is. At least I notice a lot of stuff live that I otherwise wouldn't. It's why I'm such a simp for Iginla. I feel very confident about how much further ahead his reactions are than his peers, because I saw it up close.
Iginla's reaction time is incredible but he can react with some pretty bad split second decisions. I think it's the kind of thing that can be improved to a degree though.

Demidov on the other hand has similar reaction time but somehow always seems to do the right thing or make a play I didn't even see in those split seconds.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Here:

Some wristshot and slapper in this video for this low level prospect.

Thanks for proving my point. Great size, great skating, limited puck skills. There’s nothing special here except the size and skating. Maybe he unlocks something with time, but I’m personally not banking on that in the Top 5 when the one thing we simply do not need is another LD who is defence-first. Heck we can just sign Zadorov this summer if we want this player.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Iginla's reaction time is incredible but he can react with some pretty bad split second decisions. I think it's the kind of thing that can be improved to a degree though.

Demidov on the other hand has similar reaction time but somehow always seems to do the right thing or make a play I didn't even see in those split seconds.

I haven't seen any wtf moments from Iginla personally, but one's mileage may vary.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The KHL is the absolute worst place for dmen to develop offensive skills. Whoever drafts Silayev will have to bring him to North America ASAP.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Thanks for proving my point. Great size, great skating, limited puck skills. There’s nothing special here except the size and skating. Maybe he unlocks something with time, but I’m personally not banking on that in the Top 5 when the one thing we simply do not need is another LD who is defence-first. Heck we. can just sign Zadorov this summer if we want this player.
Exactly. Can hardly understand how those buffoons amateur scout working for NHL teams and personal following the draft ranks this guy so high. le_sean knows better.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Get him to go the CHL route next season and I'll like the pick a lot more. He's a very long term project, playing in the OHL would at least accelerate things a bit.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I haven't seen any wtf moments from Iginla personally, but one's mileage may vary.
There were a few times throughout the playoffs with Kelowna where I noticed it first, and one particularly egregious instance in the U18s in a game where they were ahead by one with a minute or so left where he had a bunch of time in the circle next to the opponent's net (I believe while the rest of the team was changing but would have to rewatch) but panicked and shot it way wide leading to an odd man rush the other way (where they thankfully didn't score).

He's still my #4 prospect this year, but that would be a big thing he'd need to work on in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad