HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You're doing what I did with Slafkovsky's pre-draft output. I've since adjusted my tools to better account for demonstrated abilities vs demonstrated production.

If he had production to go with what he already has, he'd be a lock at 1OA.
Ability isn’t there though. He’s not the best puckmover. At least with Slafkovsky you had production increasing in the second half of the season and playoffs. He was also lights out at every other level against players his own age. Then of course he had his international tournaments.

Silayev doesn’t really produce anywhere. His KHL start seems to be an aberration.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What is a top pairing to you? You're not going to find 4 Norris winner in any top 15 draft.

If we stick to first pairing defenseman, it is not that rare to find 3 solid first pairing defenseman in the top 20.

2003: Suter, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Burns (top 20)

2008: Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson (top 15)

2012: Rielly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba (top 10)

2013: Jones, Nurse, Morrissey (top 13)

2015: Hanafin, Provorov, Werenski, Chabot (top 18)

2016: Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun (top 16)

2017: Heiskanen, Makar (top 5)

2019: Byram, Seider, York, Harley ( top 18) all are first pairing or in their way

To get 3 or 4 first pairing defenseman out of Silayev, Buium, Dickinson , Levshunov, Parekh and Yakemchuk would not be out of the ordinary.

There are a few on your list that are not top pairing. I would say 50-66% of them are though. There is a fair amount of the guys you listed as lower end top pairing and higher end top 4D. That's exactly what I am talking about with Silayev. A strong top 4D. The issue here is thinking that some guys are top pairing when they have 1 or 2 good seasons and the rest are more like top 4D quality. Personally, I don't have 64 top pairing guys in the NHL today (32 teams x 2). Just because some guys are in that role to fill the hole, it don't mean they are for all teams kind of thing. Same as Suzuki... #1C on the Habs but not on 15+ teams in the NHL.

That's 8 drafts and I'm assuming you looked from the 2000 draft? 8 in 24 drafts where you found 2+ hits as top pairing. This draft year might be one of those where 2-4 happens? Doubt it

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anyone who's actually watched games live knows it's absolute ass and you can't see shit. Gotta stop pushing those old geezers tales. It's 2024, we have dozens angles in a pinch on TV, we have 4k+++ hd40p2pp TV. Scouting on video, especially with the ability to freeze and even slow frames and rewind is much better than in person.
You want to see what the player is doing behind the play, or away from the puck. How the player reacts after a goal for, or against if he's on the bench.

You want to see how is vision is. There's a fair amount of time that the open player is a player offscreen.

You don't need as many in house viewings, but it's still relevant.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
There are a few on your list that are not top pairing. I would say 50-66% of them are though. There is a fair amount of the guys you listed as lower end top pairing and higher end top 4D. That's exactly what I am talking about with Silayev. A strong top 4D. The issue here is thinking that some guys are top pairing when they have 1 or 2 good seasons and the rest are more like top 4D quality. Personally, I don't have 64 top pairing guys in the NHL today (32 teams x 2). Just because some guys are in that role to fill the hole, it don't mean they are for all teams kind of thing. Same as Suzuki... #1C on the Habs but not on 15+ teams in the NHL.

That's 8 drafts and I'm assuming you looked from the 2000 draft? 8 in 24 drafts where you found 2+ hits as top pairing. This draft year might be one of those where 2-4 happens? Doubt it
Your definition of a top pairing seems to be Norris caliber defenseman. No, those are candidate for top 5 best defenseman in the league, not first pairing defenseman.

Teams more often than not don't have on the regular the likes of Suter, Werenski, Jones, Reilly, Chabot, Morrissey, etc. on their second pairing. Those defenseman would slot in as #2 on the first pair on most team and as #1 defenseman in low level team. To me that is the definition of a first pairing defenseman. You are not gonna get 4 Makar/Karlsson in this season's draft this is common sense. Like you are not going to find 4 Draisaitl level forward this year's draft.

There is a difference between superstar (McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov) and first liner (Aho, Barkov, Barzal). Doesn't mean the second group are just "strong 2nd liner").

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't understand how can someone watch Matheson and come to the conclusion that he has a higher hockey I.Q than Suzuki. :huh:

Someone who goes a little further than "watching" I guess. And it's not a contest, it's an analysis of where we are to talk about the draft (to define what we need). We've already replaced Matheson with Hutson, what I'm saying is, we need to add IQ on the first 2 lines.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You want to see what the player is doing behind the play, or away from the puck. How the player reacts after a goal for, or against if he's on the bench.

You want to see how is vision is. There's a fair amount of time that the open player is a player offscreen.

You don't need as many in house viewings, but it's still relevant.
It's not. You don't see none of that, you only have one focal point in a live viewing, you're not superhuman. Multiple angles, replays, slo-mos, etc >>>> any old boy tales.

Reactions: SOLR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad