HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
So Catton just has to play on a bigger team like **Florida** to do well in the playoffs!

You might be surprised to find out that Florida is not a bigger team. They have only 4 forwards in their lineup (4/12) that are bigger/heavier than Alex Newhook. Just one on each line. Same with the D - 3/6, one on each pairing.

They don't play small tho. They play in your face hockey. Again my point isn't Catton will suck. I think he'll be a pretty good player. Just not the type of player Habs need right now for the purpose of team building. And I don't know if you think this is a crappy take but I don't think he'll be nearly as good as demidov

Reactions: Ozmodiar

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Playing with McDavid and is more like Dave Andreychuck he of the one to two foot goals.
I don't know anyone personally who would call Hyman a sniper. That usually requires shooting from distance.
Was John LeClair qualified as a sniper? IMO Hyman’s developed a very similar game stylistically..

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Was John LeClair qualified as a sniper? IMO Hyman’s developed a very similar game stylistically..
Nope LeClair was a power forward first and foremost as are the two players mentioned previously.
They can all shoot the puck but that wasn't what they were known for.
Brett Hull and Mike Bossy Steve Shutt were all snipers there is a huge difference stylistically they rely on their shot to score goals.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They don't play small tho. They play in your face hockey. Again my point isn't Catton will suck. I think he'll be a pretty good player. Just not the type of player Habs need right now for the purpose of team building. And I don't know if you think this is a crappy take but I don't think he'll be nearly as good as demidov
The Habs don't need a top-tier playmaker type of player?

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
How much do you guys think the Habs care about these NCAA guys pulling these stunt? Fox, Schultz, Gauthier and now McGroarty.

We had to burn a year off Hutson ELC and didn’t that Luke Tuch guy tried to play games couple months ago before signing at the last minute? He wanted a game too to burn a year or something or he’d sign with Buffalo where his brother play?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Now try to explain how skating can be magically detached from IQ since it's mainly a coordination challenge. And how a fast player need to process the game often 30-40% faster than a slower player (Suzuki who is average). Matheson is higher IQ than Suzuki, his issue: he would have to be even higher IQ to just look like Suzuki who plays the same 10-15 plays over and over. Being a forward is a lot simpler than being a D.

The reverse case: Ribeiro was smart but was also slow, ie. a lot of his processing was going to recognizing patterns vs. moving.

The absolute case: McDavid is 2-3 standard of deviation faster, with the pattern recognition of Ribeiro (no tradeoff).

I don't understand how can someone watch Matheson and come to the conclusion that he has a higher hockey I.Q than Suzuki. :huh:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
For me the biggest mystery is... why did Silayev drop so much in the rankings? He was bound to be the 2nd or 3rd pick OA at some point.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
How much do you guys think the Habs care about these NCAA guys pulling these stunt? Fox, Schultz, Gauthier and now McGroarty.

We had to burn a year off Hutson ELC and didn’t that Luke Tuch guy tried to play games couple months ago before signing at the last minute? He wanted a game too to burn a year or something or he’d sign with Buffalo where his brother play?
Why would they even care? That’s a byproduct of the current CBA

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Why would they even care? That’s a byproduct of the current CBA
Are you asking why teams would care if a specific source of prospects caused issues with contract planning and even threatened -often enough- to simply not sign their ELC and have their rights expire? You think it doesn't affect a team's analysis of a prospect?

Yeah I think it's a problem for many teams, especially Canadian teams who are given little support by the NHL HQ in sorting out these discrepancies.

I think the Habs have been burned by this at least three times: Hutson, Farrell, and Tuch and it'll certainly affect their evaluation of NCAA players going forward. It might be like with players from Russia: if he's too good to pass on at that draft rank, you take him, but if he's head-to-head with other prospects you will take the other prospect.

Reactions: Deebs

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Are you asking why teams would care if a specific source of prospects caused issues with contract planning and even threatened -often enough- to simply not sign their ELC and have their rights expire? You think it doesn't affect a team's analysis of a prospect?

Yeah I think it's a problem for many teams, especially Canadian teams who are given little support by the NHL HQ in sorting out these discrepancies.

I think the Habs have been burned by this at least three times: Hutson, Farrell, and Tuch and it'll certainly affect their evaluation of NCAA players going forward. It might be like with players from Russia: if he's too good to pass on at that draft rank, you take him, but if he's head-to-head with other prospects you will take the other prospect.

Alternatively NCAA has been a great development program for a lot of our players, maybe it’s just worth the headache. Also great for contract management in terms of number of contracts we can have on the flip side.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Alternatively NCAA has been a great development program for a lot of our players, maybe it’s just worth the headache. Also great for contract management in terms of number of contracts we can have on the flip side.
Not for Canadian teams, it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad