HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
There's no Michkov in this draft.
I think Demidov is pretty on par with Michkov as far as prospect quality goes, but there wasn't a Tij Iginla in last year's draft. Ryan Leonard didn't move the needle for me like Iginla Jr. do.

Iginla vs Michkov would still be a hard choice IMO in 2023.

Reactions: phillytennis

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Where would he go in the 2024 draft and where would he go in the 2023 draft if we knew if was one year away and coming ?
I had him 2nd last year and he'd be a toss-up with Celebrini this year, closer than with Bedard.
I think Demidov is pretty on par with Michkov as far as prospect quality goes, but there wasn't a Tij Iginla in last year's draft. Ryan Leonard didn't move the needle for me like Iginla Jr. do.

Iginla vs Michkov would still be a hard choice IMO in 2023.

Demidov is a great prospect but he is not on-par with Michkov, he never has been and probably will never be. Love Iginla but he'd go lower in 23 than 24, Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson and Benson would all be ahead, then a toss-up with Reinbacher.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I can feel it too. Ewwww

I think it's really hard to judge at this point. I understand the concerns people have, but at the same time this guy is a goal scorer. He outscored Caufield. He has a bit more size than Caufield. Teams might regret passing on this guy.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
My totally useless impressions of each player based entirely on looks:

alpha male
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.05.35 PM.png

Gamer
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.05.43 PM.png

Biology teacher
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.06.32 PM.png

Borrows dad's Porche while in high school
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.06.48 PM.png

Fun guy to drink with
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.07.14 PM.png

Silent warrior
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.07.03 PM.png

Asks to come over and play dungeons and dragons
Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 5.05.24 PM.png

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Not all weight is equal. Also I never argued that Marner was never small. ALSO bringing Marner up in the first place was a major L as he's notoriously a playoff flopper. Catton will probably top out around Marner size but it still won't allow him to dominate the middle come playoff time. His whole game relies on pick dominance which won't translate as well as someone like Iginla
How do you know that?

I know however 6.3 Auston Matthews and 6.3 Joe Thornton is and was bad in playoffs...

Marty St Louis in playoffs?? Mats Naslund Pat Kane , Marchesseaut..., Kucherov, Point, Yzerman, Sakic, Doug Gilmour etc etc..

All those players were sub 6.0 and less than 190 pounds...

Catton will be around 185 -190 pounds at his prime...I am not worry

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Cellebrini is in a different tier. Most can agree on that. Let's say we had the first overall and he was an LD. Fine, I get taking him. You HAVE to do that.

But that's not the case here.
Cellebrini is visible to everyone. I expect good teams are doing more than just considering the next however many guys equivalent. Not so much where they are now as what they think they can develop from them in a few years.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Iginla to the point where I wouldn't mind it at all if they end up picking him even with Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke and Buium all still on the board by some miracle. I'm that high on the kid.
I'm puzzled that Iginla is not receiving more love on this forum. Great season, great player, great pedigree, and great person. A goal scorer that would fit like a glove with Dach. Will probably play at 6'1" 210 pounds. I see a 40 goals per year player that is barely being discussed.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
How do you know that?

What concerns me is becoming a smurf squad again. Size isn't everything, and you should not pass on great players for being small, but we have Cole, Suzy, Newhook, etc....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How do you know that?

I know however 6.3 Auston Matthews and 6.3 Joe Thornton is and was bad in playoffs...

Marty St Louis in playoffs?? Mats Naslund Pat Kane , Marchesseaut..., Kucherov, Point, Yzerman, Sakic, Doug Gilmour etc etc..

Again, there's no archetype for a playoff performer. It has a lot more to do with mental aspects than physical.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
What concerns me is becoming a smurf squad again. Size isn't everything, and you should not pass on great players for being small, but we have Cole, Suzy, Newhook, etc....
You can trade Newhook in 2 years..no problem..we need talent

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So we make a trade later. If Catton is the guy they believe will be hands down the best player, we already have two mammoths unicorn in Dach and Slaf with Suzuki weighin 220+. There's very littles ways to being a small team.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
So we make a trade later. If Catton is the guy they believe will be hands down the best player, we already have two mammoths unicorn in Dach and Slaf with Suzuki weighin 220+. There's very littles ways to being a small team.

Do we have Dach? The guy has been in the NHL 5 years and 3 of those seasons were shortened.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Demigod Gloves

Oct 1, 2017
I'm puzzled that Iginla is not receiving more love on this forum. Great season, great player, great pedigree, and great person. A goal scorer that would fit like a glove with Dach. Will probably play at 6'1" 210 pounds. I see a 40 goals per year player that is barely being discussed.
I want him so bad...if Demidov is gone.

Looks like a 40 goal scorer and chiseled for playoff hockey.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
He actually gets quite a lot of love around here lmao, being that he is winning the poll for who do we pick at #5 at near 50%. Just look the past couple of pages, a good amount of posters are pro-Iginla.

Reactions: lilmaxo and dralaf

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I had him 2nd last year and he'd be a toss-up with Celebrini this year, closer than with Bedard.

I don't think he would go ahead of Celebrini. I also think he is better than Demidov but this one seems debated. I think he would be in the pact of player effectively leaning way way way closer to 2 then 10. He has that superstar upside after all.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Then do we have Guhle ? Why aren't we picking Buium?

Guhle has been in the league 2 years. This past season he played 70 games. Dach has practically missed whole seasons.

I don't know, I just feel like 5 years in Dach is still a big question mark. People talk about him like once we have Dach back he will be this or that, but he has never actually been that. We've never really seen it.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think it's really hard to judge at this point. I understand the concerns people have, but at the same time this guy is a goal scorer. He outscored Caufield. He has a bit more size than Caufield. Teams might regret passing on this guy.

On a pure hockey pov, the guy has tremendous upside (and flaws). I also think he can be a tremendous goalscorer.

But we where talking about his interview. The guy has the charisme of a boot and he is hinderly cheesy.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I was dispointed when we didn't take Michkov last year. But I understood it. RD stud who can bolster the roster and they felt high on him. Cool.

If they somehow got Levshunov, I'd understand it again. RD. Highest ranked in the draft... okay.

But guys who are in the same tier as the forwards and on the left side? Yeah, I'd be pissed.
You gotta think there's a plan tho if they do feel Buium is their guy and take him. Would make for one damn exciting summer

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad