HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Only a few more day until our 769 pages of pointless bickering on who to take becomes a thing of the past. Then we can bicker about how we f***ed up/aced the draft:cf:
Good thing is that barring they make an out of the field pick like Helenius, a good amount of poster will be satisfied with the pick.

Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Dickinson, Buium, and Sennecke/Catton to an extend all seems to be popular choice for #5 on Habs board and one of those will be our pick.

I don't see a controversial scenario possible (unless they pass on Demidov, but words have been that Habs highly value his skillset and with Michkov signing with Flyers for next season soon it might have a positive influence on picking Demidov).

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Not small Marner was 5’11”, 160 lbs at the combine.
Small Catton was 5’10”, 175lbs.

Not all weight is equal. Also I never argued that Marner was never small. ALSO bringing Marner up in the first place was a major L as he's notoriously a playoff flopper. Catton will probably top out around Marner size but it still won't allow him to dominate the middle come playoff time. His whole game relies on pick dominance which won't translate as well as someone like Iginla

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I was dispointed when we didn't take Michkov last year. But I understood it. RD stud who can bolster the roster and they felt high on him. Cool.

If they somehow got Levshunov, I'd understand it again. RD. Highest ranked in the draft... okay.

But guys who are in the same tier as the forwards and on the left side? Yeah, I'd be pissed.
Tiers are subjective. I would hope that the habs management have more viewings and interviews that provide some insight as to where the players stand.

No one can perfectly predict physical growth or progression, so it’ll be pretty hard to judge after the fact. I expect the habs will be looking at specific skills and possibilities, though. If the players are not too different they’ll take the best fit. If they think a guy has more potential they have to go for it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tiers are subjective. I would hope that the habs management have more viewings and interviews that provide some insight as to where the players stand.

No one can perfectly predict physical growth or progression, so it’ll be pretty hard to judge after the fact. I expect the habs will be looking at specific skills and possibilities, though. If the players are not too different they’ll take the best fit. If they think a guy has more potential they have to go for it.
Cellebrini is in a different tier. Most can agree on that. Let's say we had the first overall and he was an LD. Fine, I get taking him. You HAVE to do that.

But that's not the case here.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Not all weight is equal. Also I never argued that Marner was never small. ALSO bringing Marner up in the first place was a major L as he's notoriously a playoff flopper. Catton will probably top out around Marner size but it still won't allow him to dominate the middle come playoff time. His whole game relies on pick dominance which won't translate as well as someone like Iginla
So you say he’ll top out at Marner’s size (very conservative projection). …. And yet, you wrote that Marner “isn’t small” while Catton will be “small” - even though they’ll end up being the same size. Got it.

Also, you’re just speculating about Cattons future playoff performance. Other players sized like catton have excelled in the playoffs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Iginla to the point where I wouldn't mind it at all if they end up picking him even with Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke and Bauim all still on the board by some miracle. I'm that high on the kid.
I'm not high to the point of Demidov but I agree with the rest, and even if Demidov was still there, I wouldn't be mad at all, not unlike Benson/Michkov and Reinbacher last year.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Iginla to the point where I wouldn't mind it at all if they end up picking him even with Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke and Bauim all still on the board by some miracle. I'm that high on the kid.

Well he would play in our top 6 rather sooner than later and would bring scoring, intangibles and leadership. He is certainly a strong, strong fit.

I just think we may pick him at the detriment of a player a good tier above at 5.

We made a meltdown for Reinbacher last year who was an awesome fit and rare top RD because we picked him at the detriment of a player who had superstar upside.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not high to the point of Demidov but I agree with the rest, and even if Demidov was still there, I wouldn't be mad at all, not unlike Benson/Michkov and Reinbacher last year.
I'm not saying I'd absolutely pick him in that scenario, but I wouldn't be mad at all if they did.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well he would play in our top 6 rather sooner than later and would bring scoring, intangibles and leadership. He is certainly a strong, strong fit.

I just think we may pick him at the detriment of a player a good tier above at 5.

We made a meltdown for Reinbacher last year who was an awesome fit and rare top RD because we picked him at the detriment of a player who had superstar upside.
There's no Michkov in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad