HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Injury Prone Guhle Games by season.

18/19 88 games played which includes 23 in the post season.
19/20 64 games played no post season.
20/21 Covid shutdown
21/22 63 games played which includes 19 in the post season.
22/23 44 games played raw rookie NHL.
23/24 80 games played including 10 at the Worlds.

In 5 seasons there were 2 blips in 21/22 Guhle played 44 of the 65 regular season games but was healthy for the post season where he put up 8-8-16.
In 22/23 we all know what happened Guhle missed nearly half the season but I felt we over played him and he got hurt because of fatigue.
In 23/24 Guhle played 70 of the 82 games plus 10 additional games at the worlds.

This notion that he is injury prone doesn't fly for me. He's had injuries but I expect he will continue to get stronger/smarter and avoid man games down.
I also don't fault him for the POS Ducherov incident.

The funny thing is Guhle has played far more Hockey than Xhekaj during that time span but we don't hear anything about Arber being Injury prone.
I only wish Kirby Dach could give us as many games as Guhle is.
Concussions I imagine is why. They a wildcard

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I dont think the problem is fans, its medias...fans have not shown 1 ounce of impatience as of now, bell centre is full every game and athmosphere seems quite cheerful honestly! As long as the front office show us a real direction to move forward I think most fans will be on board, but medias are starting to panic lol
Yup any negativity and drama has been Media driven Social or otherwise.
Not once did I witness any degree of disenchantment during games at the Bell Center
The closet we got was actually at the draft but it was very sporadic and very short lived I was there and it's not even worth mentioning.
The Reinbacher fiasco was far worse but once again it played out in the Media.
I expect we will see more noise this draft and once again limited to the Media it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: morhilane

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah because Eiserman absolutely sucks at the sport. Can he even ties his skate by himself?

Nvm the kid holds the record for most goal in the NTDP, and second in points only behind Jack Hughes lmao.
All of that, and he’s not 5’7 like Caufield yet he’s going in the teens. It’s almost as if he isn’t that good

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Supposedly he compared himself to Quinton Byfield (as per google). Said he can fight.

Maybe Getzlaf is a good comparaison as far as C goes? Or Chris Krider?
I was expecting Byfield to break out this season as he got a lot of quality reps with very good line mates.
I'm still underwhelmed with the player and always have been he has never seemed to live up to the hype.
I certainly hope Lindstrom has more to his game.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
All of that, and he’s not 5’7 like Caufield yet he’s going in the teens. It’s almost as if he isn’t that good
Caufield went #15 as far as I know, so what are you even arguing about lol.

My comparison was for two american sniper who felt (in the case of Eiserman, will most likely fall) because of other factor than purely their skill set with the same first name, coming from the same program with only 1 goal total difference in the NTDP (126 for Caufield, 127 for Eiserman).

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

Cole Caufield went in the teens. Eiserman may be a one-trick pony but he has been really, really good at that one trick and it happens to be the trick that is most fundamental to winning.

Not saying I don't understand the concerns, just that he may end up being one of those guys where the team from 10 - 20 that picks him, ends up benefitting from being in that position where it's ok to pick him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Cole Caufield went in the teens. Eiserman may be a one-trick pony but he has been really, really good at that one trick and it happens to be the trick that is most fundamental to winning.
Says who Connor McDavid?
If anything the truth is slightly different one thing that tends to dry up in the post season is the pure snipe.
How did Matthews do how is Reinhart doing? This is historical not a blip on the radar.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Says who Connor McDavid?
If anything the truth is slightly different one thing that tends to dry up in the post season is the pure snipe.
How did Matthews do how is Reinhart doing? This is historical not a blip on the radar.
54 regular season goals Zach Hyman seems to be doing just fine.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
So if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by 5, do we take a flyer on Sennecke, or go Buium? "Sounds like" Tij is out of the mix, if you believe the "Insiders."
If they are both gone I would expect a trade for a forward so they could go for a defenseman, but they know as well as us that we need depth at forward and we are competing against quite a few teams for the same players.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Says who Connor McDavid?

I don't know if I believe that. I mean maybe it happens that the snipe has dried up a lot, but I don't know if I believe it is a natural law. Cammalleri was absolutely clutch for us in 2010.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
So you say he’ll top out at Marner’s size (very conservative projection). …. And yet, you wrote that Marner “isn’t small” while Catton will be “small” - even though they’ll end up being the same size. Got it.

Also, you’re just speculating about Cattons future playoff performance. Other players sized like catton have excelled in the playoffs.

Not many small players dominate in the playoffs while being heavy pick dominant players. Superstars (actual ones) are the exception. They are less than 10 of those in the league btw so it won't apply to Catton I can pretty much guarantee it. Players like point have the privilege of playing with one of those superstars. Star Players like Gaudreau that are puck dominant tend to regress in the playoffs for a reason. Teams force them to the outside and they can't adapt as well. Also the teams where smaller guys tend to do well are usually bigger teams like Vegas, Florida, etc that play big and allow their smaller players to have more time and space to get on the inside

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah - button, mccagg- real scouts … much better sources of quality information!

McCagg is not a real scout and never was......Button was only a scout through nepotism,

Congratulations on naming two men who were failures and were ousted from the game. So, because you can name these two buffoons all scouts are crap and no better than anyone else?

Brutal equivocation.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmodiar

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
How do you know that?

I know however 6.3 Auston Matthews and 6.3 Joe Thornton is and was bad in playoffs...

Marty St Louis in playoffs?? Mats Naslund Pat Kane , Marchesseaut..., Kucherov, Point, Yzerman, Sakic, Doug Gilmour etc etc..

All those players were sub 6.0 and less than 190 pounds...

Catton will be around 185 -190 pounds at his prime...I am not worry

First of all, fo not mention superstars cause they are the exception. Kane, st Louis, kucherov, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. I'm not saying it can't happen it's just the exception not the rule. So if we're all basing analysis off of exceptions, fine. We'll look smart every once in a while but it'll mostly be bad takes. Also teams that perform big like Tampa allowed player like point to thrive. Not to mention he was playing with a top 5 player in the league.

I don't give absolutes but that often but I prefer players that have an edge to their game. Even if they're under sized. Everyone is pointing to my talking about cartons size but they don't mention how i also tied that to his play style and how it probably won't translate. Doesn't mean he'll be effective just not by how he was in juniors

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
First of all, fo not mention superstars cause they are the exception. Kane, st Louis, kucherov, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. I'm not saying it can't happen it's just the exception not the rule. So if we're all basing analysis off of exceptions, fine. We'll look smart every once in a while but it'll mostly be bad takes. Also teams that perform big like Tampa allowed player like point to thrive. Not to mention he was playing with a top 5 player in the league.

I don't give absolutes but that often but I prefer players that have an edge to their game. Even if they're under sized. Everyone is pointing to my talking about cartons size but they don't mention how i also tied that to his play style and how it probably won't translate. Doesn't mean he'll be effective just not by how he was in juniors
A very smart player adapt easily at the next level

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yup any negativity and drama has been Media driven Social or otherwise.
Not once did I witness any degree of disenchantment during games at the Bell Center
The closet we got was actually at the draft but it was very sporadic and very short lived I was there and it's not even worth mentioning.
The Reinbacher fiasco was far worse but once again it played out in the Media.
I expect we will see more noise this draft and once again limited to the Media it is what it is.
I don't think it was members of the media sending him death threats and comparing him to Hitler after the Habs drafted him.

Reactions: dinodebino

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Reading the comments, if it ever comes down to Demidov v Buium, there’s a fair amount of people that will get absolutely shocked with the pick and have a meltdown.

I won’t like it and will never like it, but at least I got over the first set of emotions (anger, despair).
If Demidov is there at 5. Or, it's going to be Buium vs Iginla (Or Lindstrom).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You gotta think there's a plan tho if they do feel Buium is their guy and take him. Would make for one damn exciting summer
They’re going to do what they’re going to do. But if we don’t take a forward I’m gonna be pissed. Last year was could understand but this year we need a forward.

Reactions: Banjo Cat

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
They’re going to do what they’re going to do. But if we don’t take a forward I’m gonna be pissed. Last year was could understand but this year we need a forward.
In the unlikely event that the draft goes Celibrini,Demidov,Lidstrom and Iginla, who is your pick at #5?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Not many small players dominate in the playoffs while being heavy pick dominant players. Superstars (actual ones) are the exception. They are less than 10 of those in the league btw so it won't apply to Catton I can pretty much guarantee it. Players like point have the privilege of playing with one of those superstars. Star Players like Gaudreau that are puck dominant tend to regress in the playoffs for a reason. Teams force them to the outside and they can't adapt as well. Also the teams where smaller guys tend to do well are usually bigger teams like Vegas, Florida, etc that play big and allow their smaller players to have more time and space to get on the inside
So Catton just has to play on a bigger team like **Florida** to do well in the playoffs!

You might be surprised to find out that Florida is not a bigger team. They have only 4 forwards in their lineup (4/12) that are bigger/heavier than Alex Newhook. Just one on each line. Same with the D - 3/6, one on each pairing.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad