HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh for sure, Eiserman was even a potential 1st OV on some of the pre-season lists, a top 3 spot was his to lose and he pretty much has. IMO that might be a bit of an over exposure bias though, the production has been there and he's as good now as he's ever been hockey wise, it's just that people have seen him do his thing for a while. FWIW, I still see him scoring a lot of goals as a pro .

I do, too.

But that stuff usually happens where we saw Caufield drop.

Goal scoring is great and every team needs it, but if you look at him against Lindstrom, it's easy to see why a NHL GM would take Lindstrom first. Might not score as many goals but he can do so many more things for a team.

Eiserman not expanding his toolkit brings up the same questions that knocked Caufield down 4-6 spots lower than he should have been picked.. and that's, what is he doing for our team when he isn't playing an A game and isn't finishing?

If Eiserman could add more dimensions to his offensive game or get more implicated physically, etc. he can redeem his stock.

Still looks like the 3rd forward off the board to me, but may get jumped by a number of D.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh for sure, Eiserman was even a potential 1st OV on some of the pre-season lists, a top 3 spot was his to lose and he pretty much has. IMO that might be a bit of an over exposure bias though, the production has been there and he's as good now as he's ever been hockey wise, it's just that people have seen him do his thing for a while. FWIW, I still see him scoring a lot of goals as a pro .
Sounds a lot like 2019 with Turcotte, Zegras and Boldy ahead of Caufield. Overthinking and overexposure. It rarely works. I guess it worked with Wright, well, it remains to be seen.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I do, too.

Goal scoring is great and every team needs it, but if you look at him against Lindstrom, it's easy to see why a NHL GM would take Lindstrom first. Might not score as many goals but he can do so many more things for a team.

Eiserman not expanding his toolkit brings up the same questions that knocked Caufield down 4-6 spots lower than he should have been picked.. and that's, what is he doing for our team when he isn't playing an A game and isn't finishing?

If Eiserman could add more dimensions to his offensive game or get more implicated physically, etc. he can redeem his stock.

Still looks like the 3rd forward off the board to me, but may get jumped by a number of D.
Honestly at this point it shouldn't matter that much to us. If we can't pick Celebrini or Lindstrom, might as well bet on an elite skill like Eiserman's goalscoring. Worst case he's another Caufield, best case he learns to create from the wing like a Pastrnak can.

Reactions: HabsForHire

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yup. Russia has gone into development limbo over the last decade in hockey. Kucherov is 30 now too. There isn't anyone behind him other than Michkov as far as forwards go. And, Michkov is just 18. There's a generation gap for sure.

2022 saw a few Russian draftees in 1st round. 2023 was a solid Russian draft. 2024 looks like multiple Russians in 1st round again, including another top 7 pick, so maybe we'll start seeing young, Russian stars again.

Kaprisov is 26 - the death of Cherepanov leaves a hole there.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yeah, one player. Just proves my point.

Not so sure, the Russians have always had 10-ish good players at any given time, it's never been more really. It's just that in the last few years, they've been goaltenders and Ds and were used to seeing forwards. Of course, they had a 3rd generational player in Ovechkin (Kharlamov, Tretiak) in their history so the other side of that looks worse. They will have a top 3 pick this year, and Ryabkin should be in the top 10 next year, Fyodorov the year after, they are coming, peaks and valleys when your team is consistently fielding 3 lines of top talent (vs. 4).

+Svechnikov coming together

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I do, too.

Good post. Everyone is aware of Eiserman's talent level, but how he handles himself in his draft year is very important when comes time to make projections. If there are doubts about his compete level, defensive involvement or game away from the puck, that will make him drop a few spots, if he shows improvements in those areas, he could pretty well rise on lists again. You want to see an upward trajectory with these kids and a dedication to improve in the areas they need to.

A kid like Wahlstrom was really talented too and a very good goalscorer, but his compete level was pretty meh and there were flaws to his game, the reason why he dropped. A few years later, those red flags were real and the kid hasnt established himself as a potent top 6 player yet. I do think that Eiserman is more talented and a bit less flawed than Wahlstrom was though, but thats what scouting is about, kids drop or rise for a reason.

Filip Zadina was a great junior player, but his skating wasnt great and thats what is still holding him back. The bust factor is important to considere when ranking these kids IMO, You cant just rank them on talent alone, it would be too easy.

Last edited:

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I will say something crazy here: I see a lot of Jack Hughes in Catton. He obviously won't be what Jack is but his skating, the way he handles the puck and even the way he shoots are all similar. So smooth, so fluid. Barzal with a more threatening shot would also be a good comparison.

I had doubts about whether he could be elite without one elite skill, but no more. Like Benson last year, he's too smart not to succeed.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I will say something crazy here: I see a lot of Jack Hughes in Catton. He obviously won't be what Jack is but his skating, the way he handles the puck and even the way he shoots are all similar. So smooth, so fluid. Barzal with a more threatening shot would also be a good comparison.

I had doubts about whether he could be elite without one elite skill, but no more. Like Benson last year, he's too smart not to succeed.
You’re not crazy, that’s who i see too.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MBN having himself a game in a losing effort against Slovakia. For those that wanted Leonard last year you might get your wish this year with MBN who has the size advantage (but slightly less skilled than Leonard)

I think the skill level might be higher, he just doesn't play with two other highly skilled guys to make plays.

Reactions: Locks and SlafySZN

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I think the skill level might be higher, he just doesn't play with two other highly skilled guys to make plays.
I do struggle to really ascertain the skill level considering he isn’t playing with skilled players. Looks like a boldy type of player and we need that in our pool for sure

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MBN showcased his shot quite a bit in that game, which is nice to see. There's an additional skill level in there, although playing a power game will probably always be his natural element. Super wide back and shoulders on that kid, just naturally strong.

He's got speed, physicality and tenacity.. does all the little things around the ice too.

Scary to think what he'd do at this tournament with some legitimate players next to him.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MBN seems to fit better with what this management is trying to accomplish than a guy like Helenius. Good target if Eiserman/Demidov/Lindstrom/Catton are gone.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MBN seems to fit better with what this management is trying to accomplish than a guy like Helenius. Good target if Eiserman/Demidov/Lindstrom/Catton are gone.

Yes, I do think MBN would be higher on their list than Helenius.

I may do the same even if Helenius is producing better.. I'm just not seeing the skills with the frame that really make him a fit.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Yes, I do think MBN would be higher on their list than Helenius.

I may do the same even if Helenius is producing better.. I'm just not seeing the skills with the frame that really make him a fit.
You have to think they would have MBN over Demidov too, right?

Catton is a toss up for me, but I could see the Habs having MBN at 4

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Everyone comments on the choices in the first round but few on the following selections. The Canadian needs elite forwards (center and right winger preferred), tall and big attackers, physical right-handed defenders and perhaps a goalie. Here are some prospects that seem interesting to me in the following rounds. And you?

Luke Missa C
Thomas Lavoie DD
Alex Blais Rw
Andrew Basha LW
Nikita Artamonov Lw
Adam Kléber Dd
Jordan Tourigny Dd
Justin Poirier Rw
Eriks Mateiko Lw
Cole Beaudoin C
Aatos Koivu C
Matvei Babenko Rw
Jakub Milota G
Tyler Mcinnis Thorpe Rw

Some WHL names for you. They don't all hit your criteria but these are players I've tracked for a few years now that have shown significant progress this year.

Colton Roberts - Steady, 6'4 RHD - might be some sneaky offensive upside here. Summer birthday.

Colton Roberts at eliteprospects.com

Miguel Marques - prolific scorer at every level who is just starting to figure out what he can do in the W. Shifty, great hands and shot, super active stick and is awesome fighting for loose pucks relative to his size. My favourite player outside of the big names in the W this year.

Miguel Marques at eliteprospects.com

HM's:

Clarke Caswell: Clarke Caswell at eliteprospects.com

Tarin Smith: Tarin Smith at eliteprospects.com

Carson Wetsch: Carson Wetsch at eliteprospects.com (sorry WTK, probably hates this guy)

Tomas Mrsic: Tomas Mrsic at eliteprospects.com

And Michael Hage seems like another guy who *could* be undervalued atm.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Some WHL names for you. They don't all hit your criteria but these are players I've tracked for a few years now that have shown significant progress this year.

Colton Roberts - Steady, 6'4 RHD - might be some sneaky offensive upside here. Summer birthday.

Colton Roberts at eliteprospects.com

Miguel Marques - prolific scorer at every level who is just starting to figure out what he can do in the W. Shifty, great hands and shot, super active stick and is awesome fighting for loose pucks relative to his size. My favourite player outside of the big names in the W this year.

Miguel Marques at eliteprospects.com

HM's:

Clarke Caswell: Clarke Caswell at eliteprospects.com

Tarin Smith: Tarin Smith at eliteprospects.com

Carson Wetsch: Carson Wetsch at eliteprospects.com (sorry WTK, probably hates this guy)

Tomas Mrsic: Tomas Mrsic at eliteprospects.com

And Michael Hage seems like another guy who *could* be undervalued atm.

I like Wetsch as a 4th line guy.

Reactions: covfefe

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Brandsegg-Nygard sounds more like our pick. Hughes seem to heavily favour Euros early in draft. He should be there around 10. Habs need top 6 forward. He checks a lot of the boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad