HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
No doubt. There is no risk in drafting Russians late rounds since most of those kids will likely bust anyway, thats quite different than skipping on a potential top 6 foward or top 4 defenseman early in the draft in favor of Russians, who might never come over.

Early last year I said that there is no limit at what Putin can do and that I wouldnt be surprised if they go as far as retaining their best young players, it was way before what happened to Michkov's dad.
Yeah it is tough. Part of me wants to believe that Putin has much bigger things to worry about than Hockey, but I really don't know, and what we have seen up to this point is not encouraging.

It is exactly like you say... can we really pass up on a guaranteed NHL player for a potentially better player that might take 3 years to come over or might never come over? If you pick them in the 4th-7th rounds it's going to take a guy 4-5 years to make it regardless of what country they come from

I was a bit more worried that Hughes was taking a moral stance against Russians last season when we traded away Romanov and didn't draft any Russians, but it seems mostly like a business management decision and not rooted in extreme xenophobia. Still, I grew up watching exciting Russian players love Montreal, and Montreal loved them back, a return to that norm would be welcomed.

Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You seriously think Michkov is better than Malkin and Ovechkin? Because those two were drafted in the last two decades lol. Or maybe you were being hyperbolic for effect per usual.

As long as you take Ovechkin & Malkin out of the equation, it's pretty easy to call Michkov that because he has very little competition at the draft over the last 20 years, especially in 1st round. I think we can agree he will be better than either Yakupov or Galchenyuk.

Probably the best Russian forward drafted has been Tarasenko. Best D, Sergachev.

In truth, Russian influence in NHL has waned greatly over the last 20 years. Malkin, Ovechkin, Tarasenko & Panarin are all aging stars & there isn't exactly a lot of in their prime Russian stars in the NHL currently (25-30).

However, we'll see if the tide turns in the coming years. 2023 was at least a good Russian draft.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Anyone have any scouting report on Cayden Lindstrom? On paper, this kid has a very interesting profile. He's 6'4" and 216 lbs at 17 (will turn 18 in February). He's over a PPG player in the WHL and on pace for 97 pts in 67 GP. I think he's injured now (would fit well on the Habs).

In terms of draft ranking, some have him Top-10, while others have him Top-20.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
As long as you take Ovechkin & Malkin out of the equation, it's pretty easy to call Michkov that because he has very little competition at the draft over the last 20 years, especially in 1st round. I think we can agree he will be better than either Yakupov or Galchenyuk.

Probably the best Russian forward drafted has been Tarasenko. Best D, Sergachev.

In truth, Russian influence in NHL has waned greatly over the last 20 years. Malkin, Ovechkin, Tarasenko & Panarin are all aging stars & there isn't exactly a lot of in their prime Russian stars in the NHL currently (25-30).

However, we'll see if the tide turns in the coming years. 2023 was at least a good Russian draft.
Since Malkin and Ovi, the only russian I would draft, in hindsight, over Michkov right now is Kucherov, but even he was a decade ago.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone have any scouting report on Cayden Lindstrom? On paper, this kid has a very interesting profile. He's 6'4" and 216 lbs at 17 (will turn 18 in February). He's over a PPG player in the WHL and on pace for 97 pts in 67 GP. I think he's injured now (would fit well on the Habs).

In terms of draft ranking, some have him Top-10, while others have him Top-20.

He's more likely to go in the top 3 than anything, right now. I think he's played his way into the conversation for 2nd best forward prospect after Celebrini.

Teams will love the offensive tools in that frame.. there's some questions about his agility/edgework but the straight line speed is there. There's a question on his playmaking skills and his overall IQ.

But he's big, he's got a bit of a mean streak, he's athletic, he's got a big reach, he's got good hands, and he can finish.

You're looking at a similar profile to Slafkovsky/Byfield.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's more likely to go in the top 3 than anything, right now. I think he's played his way into the conversation for 2nd best forward prospect after Celebrini.

Teams will love the offensive tools in that frame.. there's some questions about his agility/edgework but the straight line speed is there. There's a question on his playmaking skills and his overall IQ.

But he's big, he's got a bit of a mean streak, he's athletic, he's got a big reach, he's got good hands, and he can finish.

You're looking at a similar profile to Slafkovsky/Byfield.

Yea, I'm looking at this kid and I'm dreaming of a Top-6 that includes Slaf (6'3" and 230 lbs), Dach (6'4" and 215 lbs) & Lindstrom (6'4" and 220 lbs). I can't help but salivate at that scenario.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yea, I'm looking at this kid and I'm dreaming of a Top-6 that includes Slaf (6'3" and 230 lbs), Dach (6'4" and 215 lbs) & Lindstrom (6'4" and 220 lbs). I can't help but salivate at that scenario.

May be possible if we won the 2nd slot in the lottery.. outside of that, I just don't think it will be possible.

I'm looking more at Catton-Demidov-Eiserman as the likely options for us.. and if we are picking a bit later its probably Helenius-MBN.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yeah, Lindstrom has been a riser all year, it's looking more and more like a top 3 scenario for him when all is said and done. Which might be a bit of an overrate, but the physical package is just too good to pass for a lot of scouts.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, Lindstrom has been a riser all year, it's looking more and more like a top 3 scenario for him when all is said and done. Which might be a bit of an overrate, but the physical package is just too good to pass for a lot of scouts.

And is a function of Eiserman really not improving his stock, it's slipped throughout the year because he hasn't added or improved enough elements.

There will always be some reservations on a Russian prospect and Catton not having a whole lot of size will push him behind Lindstrom as well.

I really do think after Celebrini, Lindstrom will go in the top 3 and outside of that, we'll see a run on defenseman.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Since Malkin and Ovi, the only russian I would draft, in hindsight, over Michkov right now is Kucherov, but even he was a decade ago.

Yup. Russia has gone into development limbo over the last decade in hockey. Kucherov is 30 now too. There isn't anyone behind him other than Michkov as far as forwards go. And, Michkov is just 18. There's a generation gap for sure.

2022 saw a few Russian draftees in 1st round. 2023 was a solid Russian draft. 2024 looks like multiple Russians in 1st round again, including another top 7 pick, so maybe we'll start seeing young, Russian stars again.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
And is a function of Eiserman really not improving his stock, it's slipped throughout the year because he hasn't added or improved enough elements.

There will always be some reservations on a Russian prospect and Catton not having a whole lot of size will push him behind Lindstrom as well.

I really do think after Celebrini, Lindstrom will go in the top 3 and outside of that, we'll see a run on defenseman.
Oh for sure, Eiserman was even a potential 1st OV on some of the pre-season lists, a top 3 spot was his to lose and he pretty much has. IMO that might be a bit of an over exposure bias though, the production has been there and he's as good now as he's ever been hockey wise, it's just that people have seen him do his thing for a while. FWIW, I still see him scoring a lot of goals as a pro .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad