HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It seems like Ducks and Jackets aren't particularly interested in drafting Demidov, so if hawks take Levshunov, which I think they will, then Demidov will be there at 5.

However, if the habs draft, goes the same it did the last 2 years, the habs will pass on the fans' favourite prospect (Wright, Michkov, Demidov) and pick someone else (Slaf, Reinbacher, Sennecke) lol

Reactions: Andrei79

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I still am flabbergasted at the thought that Helenius is a small player at 5'11 189 but Iginla gets a ''big'' ''gritty'' powerforward reputation at 6'0 191, when really he is smaller than Helenius. Also Sennecke and Catton are crazy overrated. Sennecke cannot skate and is clunky as hell and Catton is a Keller type where he is gonna be a good player on a bad team.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I still am flabbergasted at the thought that Helenius is a small player at 5'11 189 but Iginla gets a ''big'' ''gritty'' powerforward reputation at 6'0 191, when really he is smaller than Helenius. Also Sennecke and Catton are crazy overrated. Sennecke cannot skate and is clunky as hell and Catton is a Keller type where he is gonna be a good player on a bad team.
I think it's not the size difference per se, but more the way Iggy plays the game. Playing inside the crease and in the corners, relentless pursuit of the puck, high energy all over the ice. Iggy plays the game like Gallagher, but with talent.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Catton is a Keller type where he is gonna be a good player on a bad team.
Keller is an excellent player, not his fault he's stuck on a dog shit team. You'd be a fool not to trade the 5th OA for Keller if you want to improve the team. Catton doesn't have Keller's skating in my opinion so I don't think he'll be as good.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I think it's not the size difference per se, but more the way Iggy plays the game. Playing inside the crease and in the corners, relentless pursuit of the puck, high energy all over the ice. Iggy plays the game like Gallagher, but with talent.
Helenius is also a gritty player and plays very similar. Biggest difference is Iggy's shot I think and maybe Helenius higher IQ/200 ft game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon and Ozmodiar

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Likely already posted somewhere on this board today but a mock draft from earlier today over at Montreal Hockey Now.

They have the Habs taking Demidov @ 5 and Hemming @ 26.

Top 10
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov
6. Sennecke
7. Parekh
8. Buium
9. Dickinson
10. Iginla

Full article.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think Iginla stands out for me above Helenius, because he has one true high end hockey tool: his shot.

Helenius strikes me more as a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, but he will likely be able to play as a center.

I think both will be NHL players, but I feel like a player like Iginla is harder to find in the NHL.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I think Iginla stands out for me above Helenius, because he has one true high end hockey tool: his shot.

Helenius strikes me more as a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, but he will likely be able to play as a center.

I think both will be NHL players, but I feel like a player like Iginla is harder to find in the NHL.
Yes, Iggy's shot is special. However, he has other high-end hockey tools.

Reactions: Troyp

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Keller is an excellent player, not his fault he's stuck on a dog shit team. You'd be a fool not to trade the 5th OA for Keller if you want to improve the team. Catton doesn't have Keller's skating in my opinion so I don't think he'll be as good.
Keller is a -61 for his career with incredibly favorable usage and has single digit playoff games. Good players make themselves look good. Great players elevate players around them. Keller fits in this category. I don't think he has really ever made someone around him significantly better.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Keller is a -61 for his career with incredibly favorable usage and has single digit playoff games.
Dahlin is -69 in his career with no playoff games. Again, not their fault that the rest of their respective teams suck.
Good players make themselves look good. Great players elevate players around them. Keller fits in this category. I don't think he has really ever made someone around him significantly better.
Keller has made every Coyote forward play significantly better. I've watched a decent amount of Yotes games in the past 3 seasons to know that what you're saying is wrong. Keller is a stud and we'd be lucky to draft a froward as good as him.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Dahlin is -69 in his career with no playoff games. Again, not their fault that the rest of their respective teams suck.

Keller has made every Coyote forward play significantly better. I've watched a decent amount of Yotes games in the past 3 seasons to know that what you're saying is wrong. Keller is a stud and we'd be lucky to draft a froward as good as him.
Agree to disagree then. Dahlin also has to improve his defensive play imo to make the Sabres a winning team. Sabres top players sometimes play for themselves too much and it shows in their gargantuan goals allowed stat. Top players make their teams top, no excuses to get caved in or be average at 5v5 like that with favorable usage.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agree to disagree then. Dahlin also has to improve his defensive play imo to make the Sabres a winning team. Sabres top players sometimes play for themselves too much and it shows in their gargantuan goals allowed stat.
When McDavid and Draisaitl were top 4 in points in the league with a collective +5, were they not players that significantly improved their team even if they didn't make the playoffs?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
So 5'11">6'0" and 189>191? That's an interesting bit of math there.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
So 5'11">6'0" and 189>191? That's an interesting bit of math there.
189 pounds at 71 inches is obviously larger than 191 pounds at 72 inches. That's what I meant.

When McDavid and Draisaitl were top 4 in points in the league with a collective +5, were they not players that significantly improved their team even if they didn't make the playoffs?
Back then they weren't winning convincingly their 5 on 5 minutes so you could argue their impact on winning hockey games for Edmonton back then wasn't maximized. McDavid and Draisaitl being top 5 on 5 GF% players in the past four years indicates that this is no longer a problem. Keller is gonna turn 26 and he hasn't had a season near that in his career. I stand my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
189 pounds at 71 inches is obviously larger than 191 pounds at 72 inches. That's what I meant.

Back then they weren't winning convincingly their 5 on 5 minutes so you could argue their impact on winning hockey games for Edmonton back then wasn't maximized. McDavid and Draisaitl being top 5 on 5 GF% players in the past four years indicate that this is no longer a problem. Keller is gonna turn 26 and he hasn't had a season near that in his career. I stand my point
That logic doesn't really make any sense though. Being denser doesn't mean you're bigger. Is Michael Chandler bigger than Israel Adesanya?

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
That logic doesn't really make any sense though. Being denser doesn't mean you're bigger. Is Michael Chandler bigger than Israel Adesanya?
Again, the point you are trying to make is absolutely useless. They are both basically the same size even though Helenius is slightly smaller in height. It's absolutely asinine to argue that one is big and that one is a small soft player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Helenius is gonna go in the teens, he's not in the top 8 conversation.

Reactions: dinodebino

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Again, the point you are trying to make is absolutely useless. They are both basically the same size even though Helenius is slightly smaller in height. It's absolutely asinine to argue that one is big and that one is a small soft player.
Agreed, which is why it was silly to say that Iginla was smaller than Helenius

Reactions: Fenris

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Your point on size is valid (a lot of size queens in the scouting world and various manegements) but as for Iginla it’s way more of a playing style; he eats boards and plays hard there. It’s a meat and potatoes way of playing, but effective and projectable.

Having him and Slaf as board hounds would be tremendous, even though others would be a good pick at 5.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Chicago is sold on this guy 💌

1000005060.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad