HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't think I've seen as big a gap between tools and production as I see with Parascak. He must just have a once in a lifetime brain because I truly don't understand how he does it.

He's a right place, right time player. He's pretty good at winning board battles with his hands, too.

He knows when to drift into the mid-slot for a quick shot, and get in behind D in the low slot.

He doesn't hang around to get punished, and he always has his stick on the ice.

He's definitely not a play driver, but is a good asset to have to play with one.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
1718842645223.png

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
The fact that I don't have a strong preference between Iginla/Sennecke/Catton/Eiserman/Buium/Parekh/Dickinson scares me, we're almost certainly not going to pick the BPA left at 5 just due to the parity of that pack.

I'm not going to lie though, finding out that Dickinson is one of the boys definitely bumps him up my list lol.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I don't think anyone ever mentioned no smaller player can ever be good in the post-season or that big players are all performers. It's weird to even have to mention it. Like, we all follow hockey and we know who performs and what their sizes are. In any case, I was specifying to another poster what the concerns about size usually were, not making any argument, so I'm not even sure what you're replying to.
Perfect so draft the most talented player whatever his size...in that case at 5th if Demidov is gone..Catton is our guy!!!

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Likely already posted somewhere on this board today but a mock draft from earlier today over at Montreal Hockey Now.

They have the Habs taking Demidov @ 5 and Hemming @ 26.

Top 10
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov
6. Sennecke
7. Parekh
8. Buium
9. Dickinson
10. Iginla

Full article.
Also maybe already cited but Pronman at the Athletic did a mock today, went with the same top 5. The Habs first four picks were Demidov (5) , Surin (26), Stiga (57), and Koivu (70).

I'd take that if that's how the draft fell.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Also maybe already cited but Pronman at the Athletic did a mock today, went with the same top 5. The Habs first four picks were Demidov (5) , Surin (26), Stiga (57), and Koivu (70).

I'd take that if that's how the draft fell.
I would love to add Jacob Battaglia in the 2nd-3rd round though but yet it would be awesome

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You want the next Makar, go Buium.

You want the next Hedman, go Silayev.

You want the next Karlsson, go Parekh.

It does not mean these players will reach their upside and it says nothing about their floor, but clearly, with their uncomparable draft year, their ceiling is that high.

No other forward in the draft class (beside Macklin obv) and no other D in this class has this type of mega upside.

Many, many great profile indeed. Some great fit for our top-6 need but no other players in the class, imo, has this type of upside. Well Demidov.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
That is one hell of a convincing argument in favour of Buium tho.

I don't think he is overhyped tho, he indeed played in a strong program but he was also the leader of this program as a 17YO.

His resume is incredible and i believe he has a case for BPA against any forward in this draft not named Celebrini.

Also, his toolkit is not impressive, from a physical standpoint (skating, hands, shooting for example) i agree. But his hockey IQ is elite, top of the class and that is the most important trait for me.

He is not the best offensive dman of the class, nor the most physical or biggest but he excels at a very high level in every single one of those categories.

I can totally envision Buium being a true 1D with norris nomination. (Ceiling). He does not have the rock-solid big top pair archetype of a Lev, Dickinson or Silayev, but imo, he simply has an higher ceiling than those.

The guy has killed the NCAA at 17, that is big, he is probably coming at the end of next season and although we have many LDs, he would be top of the list.

He is my personal favourite at 5. In fact, he is 2nd on my worthless list. One possible scenario is that he becames a 1D and with Reinbacher will gives us one of the best pairing in the league. We will be in a spot to deal from a position of strenght and the forward we may acquire trading one of our young Ds may be better than the forward we would draft instead.

I also think Buium displays the human qualities we saw in Slaf and Reinbacher. Starpower, charisma, humble confidence, ability to handle the MTL market, etc.

Finally, some forward have great profile indeed, and we are in dire need for offensive punch, but i don't know, i am simply higher on the top defenseman in this class. There is many valid question marks on the forward beside Celebrini and although they are great prospects and we could absolutely benefit from them, i don't think there are players with superstar upside like Buium has, in my humble opinion.
I don't say this often, but this was a great post Jaynki. Buium is #3 on my list. I've been high on him ever since his run in the Frozen Four and Championships. I agree with your assessment.

And imagine if he grows 2 more inches like his brother and ends up a Lane Hutson but with 4 inches taller hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Jaynki

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Button is nuts

Nah, he a thug. He doesn't give a f***.

That is one hell of a convincing argument in favour of Buium tho.

I don't think he is overhyped tho, he indeed played in a strong program but he was also the leader of this program as a 17YO.

His resume is incredible and i believe he has a case for BPA against any forward in this draft not named Celebrini.

Also, his toolkit is not impressive, from a physical standpoint (skating, hands, shooting for example) i agree. But his hockey IQ is elite, top of the class and that is the most important trait for me.

He is not the best offensive dman of the class, nor the most physical or biggest but he excels at a very high level in every single one of those categories.

I can totally envision Buium being a true 1D with norris nomination. (Ceiling). He does not have the rock-solid big top pair archetype of a Lev, Dickinson or Silayev, but imo, he simply has an higher ceiling than those.

The guy has killed the NCAA at 17, that is big, he is probably coming at the end of next season and although we have many LDs, he would be top of the list.

He is my personal favourite at 5. In fact, he is 2nd on my worthless list. One possible scenario is that he becames a 1D and with Reinbacher will gives us one of the best pairing in the league. We will be in a spot to deal from a position of strenght and the forward we may acquire trading one of our young Ds may be better than the forward we would draft instead.

I also think Buium displays the human qualities we saw in Slaf and Reinbacher. Starpower, charisma, humble confidence, ability to handle the MTL market, etc.

Finally, some forward have great profile indeed, and we are in dire need for offensive punch, but i don't know, i am simply higher on the top defenseman in this class. There is many valid question marks on the forward beside Celebrini and although they are great prospects and we could absolutely benefit from them, i don't think there are players with superstar upside like Buium has, in my humble opinion.

Great post and I fully agree. We don't have that in the system. If we pick Buium I'll fully be on board. We don't have that in the system (future #1 D).

It's not something that teams pass for a W, unless that W is a guy like Demidov.

The problem with picking a D this year is that fans are convinced that we wont suck next year and we wont get to draft a skilled fwd anymore. But I'm convinced we will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad