HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
McCagg seems to live rent free in your head. Why are you even talking about him.

Why aren’t you explaining why you like Buium and why you don’t agree with the poster in question about him being overrated?

Why are you so obsessed with defending this incompetent slob? People are correct to question him as he is an arrogant, obtuse dinosaur who brings these reactions on himself.

Grant himself lashes out at everyone around him and seems to forget that he never really was a scout as he was just a writer who humped Gainey's leg and Bob gave him a local part time gig just to get him off of his leg. There is more to the story that I won't get in to but he basically has made his entire phony scouting persona through nepotism and networking without ever having had the necessary acumen to be a competent scout.

If he wasn't such an outrageous d*ck I wouldn't be saying half of this and he would receive a fraction of the criticism that he does from the public.

You are assigning authority to a dimwit who doesn't have the acumen or credentials to back it up.

Hopefully he finds a way to express more humility so that he can fade into the background with other benign phonies like Pronman, Wheeler, Boisvert etc.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Why are you so obsessed with defending this incompetent slob? People are correct to question him as he is an arrogant, obtuse dinosaur who brings these reactions on himself.

Grant himself lashes out at everyone around him and seems to forget that he never really was a scout as he was just a writer who humped Gainey's leg and Bob gave him a local part time gig just to get him off of his leg. There is more to the story that I won't get in to but he basically has made his entire phony scouting persona through nepotism and networking without ever having had the necessary acumen to be a competent scout.

If he wasn't such an outrageous d*ck I wouldn't be saying half of this and he would receive a fraction of the criticism that he does from the public.

You are assigning authority to a dimwit who doesn't have the acumen or credentials to back it up.

Hopefully he finds a way to express more humility so that he can fade into the background with other benign phonies like Pronman, Wheeler, Boisvert etc.
Someone said they thought Buium was overrated and the poster tried to bring up McCagg who has nothing to do with this or that he must like Sennecke if he thinks Buium’s overrated. That make sense to you?

If you disagree with someone, bring actual arguments as to why he is not and why you like him as a player. You know, actually adding to a subject or ‘’debate’’.

Last edited:

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I can see it… The Montreal Canadiens are proud to select…Beckett Sennecke.

And just like that we let pass Michkov and Demidov for Reinbacher and Sennecke
5a6e14ddee8eae7c0c9a7477a831e7a0.gif

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree with @DramaticGloveSave that Buium is getting overrated. If you have questions on Hutsons offense translating, you should have the same questions about Buiums as Buium creates offense in much the same way but Hutson does it with greater effectiveness and with a higher quality than Buium.

Buiums point totals are high and inflated by his team. He's still a great point producer but being mentioned like Makar, just no. Makar was always seen as dynamic with insane skating, his competition was just so poor that it caused hesitancy on whether it looked better than what it was due to quality of competition.

Buium is 6'0 so he's average height. His skating is not great same thing as Lane the edges and agility are great but the straight line speed isn't great. Buium isn't physical or intimidating. He's got 2nd pair offense and 2nd pair defense. He's a good player but he's a bit of a weird study. He doesn't play PP over Lane and can't play with Lane since they both do the same things. He doesn't play PK over Guhle or Xhekaj or Reinbacher or struble etc.

A top 5 pick on a guy who isn't going to be on pp1 or pk1, it's just an odd fit. Even Cam Robinson who loves the kid said on a podcast that he's likely not a pp1 guy and is more of your 40 pt defenseman in the NHL.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Crazy to me that anyone would pick Karlson ahead of Pietrangelo. Winning the Cup is the whole point of this game and Pietrangelo did it twice to Karlson's zero. And it's not just numbers of cups. Karlsson had long playoff runs only twice in his career. Once in Ottawa, in his best season of his career, the only season I could see an argument for wanting Karlsson ahead of Pie. Then in his first season in San Jose, which was still a good team then.

In terms of making his team better, he arguably did it for most of his Ottawa years, although there was still not much playoff success for them.

Since then, San Jose had the same record before Karlsson to the year he came on board. Then the wagon fell off, which isn't his fault necessarily, but he didn't make them better either. His 100 point season, you can decide to view as you wish. To me, it was a joke of a season for a player who didn't take his team and responsibilities seriously. And San Jose was so bad this season, it would be hard to argue his 100 point season made his team any better. This year Pittsburgh was even worse than last year without him. For a guy you need to pay assets to get, he certainly doesn't improve your team much.

Reactions: BXN and Redux91

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Crazy to me that anyone would pick Karlson ahead of Pietrangelo. Winning the Cup is the whole point of this game and Pietrangelo did it twice to Karlson's zero. And it's not just numbers of cups. Karlsson had long playoff runs only twice in his career. Once in Ottawa, in his best season of his career, the only season I could see an argument for wanting Karlsson ahead of Pie. Then in his first season in San Jose, which was still a good team then.

In terms of making his team better, he arguably did it for most of his Ottawa years, although there was still not much playoff success for them.

Since then, San Jose had the same record before Karlsson to the year he came on board. Then the wagon fell off, which isn't his fault necessarily, but he didn't make them better either. His 100 point season, you can decide to view as you wish. To me, it was a joke of a season for a player who didn't take his team and responsibilities seriously. And San Jose was so bad this season, it would be hard to argue his 100 point season made his team any better. This year Pittsburgh was even worse than last year without him. For a guy you need to pay assets to get, he certainly doesn't improve your team much.
I agree with you I'd also pick Pietrangelo ahead of Karlsson, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about holding it against Karlsson for his lack of a Cup. Winning a Stanley Cup is a team effort. Marcel Dionne was a great player. I'd say he was as great as the Flower but he never won a cup because he was never on a great team. You switch teams on Lafleur and Dionne and Guy would never have won a cup.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Although I agree with you I'd also pick Pietrangelo ahead of Karlsson, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about holding it against Karlsson for his lack of a Cup. Winning a Stanley Cup is a team effort. Marcel Dionne was a great player. I'd say he was as great as the Flower but he never won a cup because he was never on a great team.
Yeah, which is why I followed up by showing that it is isn't just the lack of cup. It's the lack of playoff success in general and the lack of making his team better on a consistent basis.

All of these are indicators that his lack of cup is not just because his teams were lacking, but also because his play didn't improve his team's odds of winning as much as other elite players did.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think more and more that it is between Lindstrom and Sennecke.

I have this odd feeling too that we will draft Sennecke and there will be a collective meltdown for a 3rd year in a row. (Thats a give tho whoever we draft)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eiserman starts to slide Habs could trade up from 26. Caufield slid also.

I personally don't think Eiserman slips as far as Caufield. He's got size and Caufield didn't. I think Eiserman will get picked earlier than what the popular consensus shows on the net.

I'd be very happy if we are able to get both Iginla and Eiserman. There were my targets for a while now. I do hope Hughes can get another pick from 10-13.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and Tyson

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
My prediction is we're picking 2 studs at 5 and in between 10-15 because somehow.

We almost make the playoffs this year with no major injuries like last year

We pick next year's draft between 12-16
We draft an other stud.

2025-26 season unfortunately we are again hit with some major injuries which results in finishing 3rd to last

We win the lottery draft Bedard's cousin.
We make the playoffs second round.

2026-27 We win our first modern era cup which starts a dynasty with 4 more in the next 10 years...

And then I wake up!😁

Wouldn't it be nice though! Lolll

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and Habsrule

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Fire-in-the eyeness assessment
Levshunov 2/10, missing his old man nap in the afternoon
Lindstrom 7/10, so hot right now
Buium 18/10, Ramsay Bolton level off-the-charts
Celebrini 4/10, but f'in regal (he IS the Senate)
Iginla "Did Not Test", busy flying like Pegasus
Give the dude a break, he's got a wife and two kids back home, he's doing his freaking best :confused:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

No offense but that's an insane argument to me. It's a team sport, and Karlsson was his team for many of those years. Would you hold it against Lemieux that he only made the playoffs once in his first 6 seasons in a league where 16 of 21 teams make it?

As for his 100 point season, he absolutely made his team better when he was out there. Barring empty net goals, he was even in plus minus which is pretty impressive in and of itself on a team with a -82 goal differential.

As for the Pittsburgh argument, they have an aging roster, it's not really surprising to see a fall off at some point.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Question is this....I don't think there's any doubt that Demidov or Lindstrom would be the habs pick if available. Now...if they are both gone....the question for the next 5 years will be...Iginla or Sennecke. That would be what I think the Habs won't want to deal with. The sure bet that might have a lower ceiling vs the risk that might just have the greatest ceiling of them all.

And then, please Habs....don't Mesar the pick at 26.....there will be some really interesting players there at that rank.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I agree with @DramaticGloveSave that Buium is getting overrated. If you have questions on Hutsons offense translating, you should have the same questions about Buiums as Buium creates offense in much the same way but Hutson does it with greater effectiveness and with a higher quality than Buium.

Buiums point totals are high and inflated by his team. He's still a great point producer but being mentioned like Makar, just no. Makar was always seen as dynamic with insane skating, his competition was just so poor that it caused hesitancy on whether it looked better than what it was due to quality of competition.

Buium is 6'0 so he's average height. His skating is not great same thing as Lane the edges and agility are great but the straight line speed isn't great. Buium isn't physical or intimidating. He's got 2nd pair offense and 2nd pair defense. He's a good player but he's a bit of a weird study. He doesn't play PP over Lane and can't play with Lane since they both do the same things. He doesn't play PK over Guhle or Xhekaj or Reinbacher or struble etc.

A top 5 pick on a guy who isn't going to be on pp1 or pk1, it's just an odd fit. Even Cam Robinson who loves the kid said on a podcast that he's likely not a pp1 guy and is more of your 40 pt defenseman in the NHL.
I won't mention him in the same sentence than Makar. Of course not. But product of his team? Yes, Denver...really offensive team. Yet, a guy like Sean Behrens at 20 had 31 points. And brother Buium at 20 had 36. Both 2nd rounders. I have no idea how we can downgrade what Zeev did. There's 1 Makar. Just like there's 1 McDavid. But not being Makar does not mean you can't be top 5 or top 10. What Zeev did is remarkable. Having said that...in the end, he won't be my No1 d-man on my final list. But he'll be making top 10 for sure.

Reactions: Locks and Andrei79

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Question is this....I don't think there's any doubt that Demidov or Lindstrom would be the habs pick if available. Now...if they are both gone....the question for the next 5 years will be...Iginla or Sennecke. That would be what I think the Habs won't want to deal with. The sure bet that might have a lower ceiling vs the risk that might just have the greatest ceiling of them all.

And then, please Habs....don't Mesar the pick at 26.....there will be some really interesting players there at that rank.
It's an interesting dilemma for sure, both players have their pros and cons. My boring but accurate answer is that I'd be happy with either of the two. I'd also be happy with Dickinson, Buium or even Helenius. I'm an easy guy to please I guess :laugh: I might be leaning Iginla, if only because we could right a wrong in not picking his dad back in the day when we had the chance. Can't forget about Catton either, he's hella talented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It's an interesting dilemma for sure, both players have their pros and cons. My boring but accurate answer is that I'd be happy with either of the two. I'd also be happy with Dickinson, Buium or even Helenius. I'm an easy guy to please I guess :laugh: I might be leaning Iginla, if only because we could right a wrong in not picking his dad back in the day when we had the chance.
Frankly this year...I will probably just say...well....okay? LOL. No matter who we pick. Though at 5, I will have a harder time with Eiserman and Helenius. First one because of how unidimensional he is, and Helenius just because he is a meh pick to me. But then meh picks can do great thinks. I wasn't THAT enthusiastic with Lundell. And geez is Florida happy with him right now.

My 3 favorite picks for habs right now (if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone) are Iginla, Dickinson and Sennecke. In order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad