HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Would it be more palatable if we drafted for Parekh instead?

I'd be pretty pissed if we skip on a potential superstar winger again when we need offensive power in our top 6, but getting the potential best offensive defensemen of the class is not a bad consolation prize?

I just don't know who we play on PP1. Do we just put both Hutson and Parekh? When was the last time a team had 2 really good offensive defensemen in their lineup? Preds with Josi and Subban?

I'm trying to play gymnastics in my head and convince myself it's "fine" if Demidov is skipped on, but man I just hope Hughes doesn't overthink it this year.
Set records for short handed goals against.

I doubt the habs can handle another offensive but defensively challenged D. I don’t know if they can win with another small F, either, but if Demidov of Catton is too good to pass on then fine.

The habs have to hope the teams that pick ahead of them pick very badly.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Buium put up better numbers than Makar, Fox and Hughes in their freshman seasons.

He also won gold on both the u-18 and u-20 team.

He shutdown the first overall pick in Maclin Celebrini and BU

He then shutdown the most dominant line in NCAA history Gauthier-Smith-Perrault on his way to winning the NCAA championship.

Whoever picks him is getting a stud and there is a reason the Habs love him, even with him being a LHD. He's that good.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Bilingualism is a function of necessity, not education. I'm trilingual for shits and giggles essentially, seen 0 payoff for it. I like languages though, so I'm working on a 4th. People will learn a language under exactly two circumstances: they have to, or they want to. Almost always just the first one though.
I’m bilingual and I got a few jobs because of it. Depends on the languages.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't get the chance to see much of Buium, I liked what I saw but my question would be was DU the #1 offense out of 60+ schools because of him?

Here's how they rank if anyone was wondering,

DU- 198 goals
BC - 183
Michigan - 169
BU - 163
Quinnipiac - 160
RIT - 156
North Dakota - 151
Michigan St - 147
Western Michigan - 136
Minnesota - 135

DU had 11 skaters with 30 or more points, BC and BU had 6 each. Since I didn't see much of them it just makes me wonder about if he's the reason why DU's offense is so sick ala Lane Hutson in his Freshman year where he lead his team in points and the 3rd scorer on the team had less points then Hutson had assists.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I didn't get the chance to see much of Buium, I liked what I saw but my question would be was DU the #1 offense out of 60+ schools because of him?

DU- 198 goals
BC - 183
Michigan - 169
BU - 163
Quinnipiac - 160
RIT - 156
North Dakota - 151
Michigan St - 147
Western Michigan - 136
Minnesota - 135

DU had 11 skaters with 30 or more points, BC and BU had 6 each. Since I didn't see much of them it just makes me wonder about if he's the reason why DU's offense is so sick ala Lane Hutson in his Freshman year where he lead his team in points and the 3rd scorer on the team had less points then Hutson had assists.
I know everyone is gaga about Lane Hutson but for me Buium is the better player and I don't feel it's particularly close.
I would take him in a heart beat if we could move Hutson as part of a package for another early pick in this draft or a young established top 6 forward.
I just think it would give us much better BALANCE overall which is what we should be aiming at.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

DU- 198 goals
BC - 183
Michigan - 169
BU - 163
Quinnipiac - 160
RIT - 156
North Dakota - 151
Michigan St - 147
Western Michigan - 136
Minnesota - 135

I think Hutson is ahead of Buium offensively but Buium is much better defensively. I think Fox is not an unreasonable projection for him, especially considering he's already ahead of where Fox was defensively in college.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not saying he's a carbon copy of Makar stylistically, but I expect Buium to put up points a la Makar in the NHL.

A very smart, offensive Dman who can do it all and play in all situations.
He will put up points but not likely very close to Makar as Buium's offensive potential is getting overrated due to having played on a stacked Denver team that scored a ton of goals. I think he can be a 60+ point defender who plays a strong two way game at his ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sorry if it’s been posted, but according to Arpon Basu on the latest Athletic mock draft, the Habs really like Andrew Basha. Arpon still isn’t convinced we’ll be making that pick, but if we do and Basha is still there, he said the Habs see an NHL projectable game there. They met with him 5 times over the course of the season.

Demidov and Basha? I’d be ecstatic. Greentree even moreso, but I can’t see him falling to 26.

Would be great if we picked him. I often kept wondering who the hell was "that guy" when watching Lindstrom and it was Basha.

Very nice young player.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
When Makar was drafted he wasn't thought of as highly as he is now.

We shall see.
Buium is nowhere near the dynamic raw talent Makar was. Makar was/is electric.

Buium is cerebral, I like his game, but people are getting tricked by that stat line. He’ll be a solid point producer at the next level due to his smart and solid all around skill set, but he’s not cut from the dynamic cloth Makar, Quinn Hughes and Adam Fox were.

Lane Hutson on the other hand…

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Levshukov
Dickinson
Buium
Silayev

That’s my top five in order. Yes I did seven because I would be happy with any of them. Iginla I have next on my list but he is a tier below.

If Demidov and Lindstrom are both picked in the 2-4 range then I would have not problems trading down into the 6-10 range and picking Iginla or Sennecke with an added second rounder in there. Use that second rounder to trade up from 26.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Buium put up better numbers than Makar, Fox and Hughes in their freshman seasons.

He also won gold on both the u-18 and u-20 team.

He shutdown the first overall pick in Maclin Celebrini and BU

He then shutdown the most dominant line in NCAA history Gauthier-Smith-Perrault on his way to winning the NCAA championship.

Whoever picks him is getting a stud and there is a reason the Habs love him, even with him being a LHD. He's that good.

I don’t know why Buium is not a lock for top 3. He checks all the boxes for a top pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad