HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This year a little different though as picks 2 to 6 look interchangeable and same can be said 7 to 12….it’s almost like an NFL draft as you are picking for need in those slots

It might mean about the same thing, but I see it more as drafting for "fit". I mean, all of these teams in the top 5 have needs basically everywhere. Anaheim as forward depth, but if you project their roster a lot of different Ds and Lindstrom would fit. Aside from Celebrini, I don't find the players 2-6 seperate themselves enough to say definitively who will be better. So you have to look at their compete, personality, fit roster wise within the team according to the style management wants as well as the U25 core and what the strength of the development teams of each franchise are to know if they can properly work with the player.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's so hard to make these trades in hockey. We might have a better chance to trade with Chicago for #2 unless they want Silayev.

Has a top 5 pick moved pre-draft since the Penguins traded with Florida to move up two spots and draft Fleury at #1? That was 21 years ago.

Yes, I very much doubt it will happen.. you still gotta try but I expect us to be picking 5.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yes, I very much doubt it will happen.. you still gotta try but I expect us to be picking 5.
To be fair

The narrative is different, for a while now, we've been hearing how it's free for all at 2 and how teams will have different lists, I think that opens up the possibilities to trade up, there's no consensus top 3 this year.

For some it's Celebrini, Lev, Silya for others Mack, Demidov and Lindstrom

For some it might be Mack, Dickinson and Buium

I think, if they love Lindstrom, the Ducks are the target team assuming they like Silyaev as much as another D, Dickinson, Buium etc

I do see a possibility where Anaheim might have 2 or 3 of these guys as close to each other as it gets and in such a scenario, a trade can be made with ease.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The tough thing with trades is that there really is no telling what a guy will go for. Like, what do we know about Necas' asking price?

Apparently they want a 'star' coming back.. I don't think they'll get that.

To be fair

The narrative is different, for a while now, we've been hearing how it's free for all at 2 and how teams will have different lists, I think that opens up the possibilities to trade up, there's no consensus top 3 this year.

For some it's Celebrini, Lev, Silya for others Mack, Demidov and Lindstrom

For some it might be Mack, Dickinson and Buium

I think, if they love Lindstrom, the Ducks are the target team assuming they like Silyaev as much as another D, Dickinson, Buium etc

I do see a possibility where Anaheim might have 2 or 3 of these guys as close to each other as it gets and in such a scenario, a trade can be made with ease.

If there's a year it's more likely to happen, it's this one.. I still just am not sure it can be done, Anaheim and CBJ are both teams that have been rebuilding for awhile, so they might be ensuring they get their 'fit'.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Apparently they want a 'star' coming back.. I don't think they'll get that.

If there's a year it's more likely to happen, it's this one.. I still just am not sure it can be done, Anaheim and CBJ are both teams that have been rebuilding for awhile, so they might be ensuring they get their 'fit'.
The return of this trade will be interesting, because Dundon and his ego will be all over this. Gotta feeling that this is going to be a painful process for any team having to deal with the Hurricanes.

Any trade involving us and Carolina will have some extra baggage, regardless if the drama was with Berg.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We're all on the Lindstrom train at the moment, but next week, word will come out of the Russian combine in Florida that Demidov can crack walnuts with his ass cheeks while riding a bike with no hands and we will flip back to wanting Demidov. But then we will find out that Pronman thinks Kyle Davidson likes Russian caviar and we will freak out that he's going to be picked 2nd overall.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
We're all on the Lindstrom train at the moment, but next week, word will come out of the Russian combine in Florida that Demidov can crack walnuts with his ass cheeks while riding a bike with no hands and we will flip back to wanting Demidov. But then we will find out that Pronman thinks Kyle Davidson likes Russian caviar and we will freak out that he's going to be picked 2nd overall.
YUP that is how it goes alright

Reactions: Rozz

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I have Iginla ahead of Lindstrom

Demidov
Iginla
Lindstrom

The reason I have Iginla ahead of Lindstrom, is that I think Iginla has more development ahead of him. Lindstrom is better right now, but I think Iginla will be much better at 25.

Iginla ahead of Macklin. Let's gooooooo!

• Haha

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
On the concerns that Demidov might get buried by his Russian club…

Perhaps I am naive but can’t these things be handled through back channels? If Demidov doesn’t want to sign with SKA, could they not be persuaded to release him? As this is reportedly happening with Michkov and the Flyers?

Surely a well resourced team like the Habs can work something out.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
On the concerns that Demidov might get buried by his Russian club…

Perhaps I am naive but can’t these things be handled through back channels? If Demidov doesn’t want to sign with SKA, could they not be persuaded to release him? As this is reportedly happening with Michkov and the Flyers?

Surely a well resourced team like the Habs can work something out.

Thats the hope but the rumors about SKA and Michkov is more that there's something about the individual and him not cracking their team 2 years in a row that they are willing to move on where they hold Demidov in higher esteem and want to keep him for longer.

I hope that if we do select him that Bobrov being our co director of scouting and his dad being well regarded in Russia, and Montreal having a bit of a historic significance in the country of Russia that they might actually be willing to handle Demidov for us more favorably.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Thats the hope but the rumors about SKA and Michkov is more that there's something about the individual and him not cracking their team 2 years in a row that they are willing to move on where they hold Demidov in higher esteem and want to keep him for longer.

I hope that if we do select him that Bobrov being our co director of scouting and his dad being well regarded in Russia, and Montreal having a bit of a historic significance in the country of Russia that they might actually be willing to handle Demidov for us more favorably.
You/we can get what we want. We (Molson) has to pay for it though. That’s how things work in Russia.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Hope is not a good plan usually. Just saying.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
(Mod)
How much is Demidov making with SKA St Petersburg, 50k a year? I mean that's nothing to buy out. I always find large sums of money in well hidden briefcases...

I'm not sure but it's gotta be the players own money and BOTH parties have to agree to the buy out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
And Verbeek was Stevie Y's right hand man in Detroit when they drafted Seider. I remember many posters in here ridiculing the pick.
I loved Seider back in 2019, and badly wanted him with our pick. I kept arguing with posters that thought we were set with Juulsen, Brook and Fleury as RD, so no need for Seider. Good times!

Not that I have not been wrong in the past on other favorites of mine. I remember being ecstatic for A. Kostitsyn, and I thought J. Ikonen was the steal of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad