HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Reading the comments and the differing opinions on these prospects from NHL execs and NHL scouts from the Pronman article is pretty much like still reading the draft and prospect threads on this board.

It's the most schizophrenic draft i've ever witnessed.

1718127099272.png

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Except less emotions, less emojis and clearer assessments

giphy.gif

I don't love how Basu has gone from it would be a dream for the Habs to have Demidov there at 5 and now to its not a slam dunk they take him if he's there.

I had no issues last year but doing it again with a superior package for the 3rd/4th best defenseman in the class.. I can't make it make sense.

To be honest, the competition he's been playing against this year makes me more worried about him than I was about Michkov. I'll be fine with the draft pick, though. I would never fault them for betting on talent.

Other than Celebrini, every forward in this draft has a red flag or two. Most of the D as well. (I guess maybe Dickinson is the most well-rounded?)

Reactions: dcyhabs and Troyp

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’ve been following the draft religiously since 2000, and I can’t recall a more unpredictable 1st round than this one. Nobody has any clue at all how it will play out other than the 1st overall pick. It really is something. I like it. Wish it were like this every year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Basu x Godin think Buium and Parekh are more considerations over Dickinson and Silayev because of the type of offensive D they are and more needed in the org than the latter which are more in the Guhle/Reinbacher mold

I honestly think both are being underrated because they're not massive or physical. But both have incredible offensive upside and neither are all that small. Parekh has the best OHL production from a D in a draft season in almost 35 years and Buium is doing Hutson-like stuff in the NCAA, except he's two years younger and bigger.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I don't love how Basu has gone from it would be a dream for the Habs to have Demidov there at 5 and now to its not a slam dunk they take him if he's there.

I had no issues last year but doing it again with a superior package for the 3rd/4th best defenseman in the class.. I can't make it make sense.
Smoke.Screen.
As much as Basu 'knows' , he'll never 'know.'

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I’ve been following the draft religiously since 2000, and I can’t recall a more unpredictable 1st round than this one. Nobody has any clue at all how it will play out other than the 1st overall pick. It really is something. I like it. Wish it were like this every year.

2003 was similar. The rankings were all over the place. Even the number 1 pick was a surprise.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

There clearly seems to be hesitation and it's not about his play more so about the SKA situation from development to actually seeing him leave next year.

Safe to say if Demidov was called Jonathan Laliberté and played in the Q which is a close alternative to the MHL, he'd be the odds on favorite for the 2nd pick, awckward skating or not

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There clearly seems to be hesitation and it's not about his play more so about the SKA situation from development to actually seeing him leave next year.

Safe to say if Demidov was called Jonathan Laliberté and played in the Q which is a close alternative to the MHL, he'd be the odds on favorite for the 2nd pick, awckward skating or not

If Demidov was Jonathan Laliberté and played in the Q, we'd actually be able to compare him to the rest of the draft class better.

One of the problems with the MHL/VHL/KHL right now is its hard to actually compare them to other leagues. At least the KHL is a mens leagues with players who have played in the AHL/NHL, but we don't actually no how the MHL currently compares to the Q. All we can go on is the tantalizing tools Demidov has displayed.

Reactions: Troyp

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
2003 was similar. The rankings were all over the place. Even the number 1 pick was a surprise.

It was, and that was one of my favorite drafts to follow. But the top of the order was still pretty set at least in terms of the 4-5 guys at the top. We just weren’t sure the exact order. But yes, similar I’d say. This year seems even more different in the sense that all bets are off starting with pick 2. There seems to be an almost unlimited amount of ways it can play out.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Reading the comments and the differing opinions on these prospects from NHL execs and NHL scouts from the Pronman article is pretty much like still reading the draft and prospect threads on this board.

The cynic in me wonders if these are even real quotes sometimes they come across way too much like the stuff we say lol

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Celebrini
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom

That top 4 looks pretty crystalized to me.

Now the decision for us is Demidov, Buium or Sennecke.

I know everyone will say Demidov easy, and I hope it is Demidov, but I bet its closer than we think between the 3.
DEMIDOV….slam dunk

I wouldn’t be pissed if it were any of the other 2 but I would be slightly disappointed

The same can be said about Demidov, what if his skills and play style doesn't translate to the NHL? He's out of the league in a few years while Lindstrom could at the very least be an effective 3rd liner.
Both extremely unlikely

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
It's annoying and crazy to think that If Demidov falls to 5 by which all accounts he will, we could have had Michkov, Demidov and trade our late 1st round pick to move up around 10 and draft a solid D. Our rebuild now lost about a year thanks to that f*** up and possible game changer.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Demidov are there and Habs pass on him, I'm going to beat all his security guards. I will become John Wick 2.0 and fight all the management.
Let me know when and where you're going to let loose. I'll bring my 4K camera and we'll make movies but we can't have you as John Wick. That's already taken. How about Jean Mèche?

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How is it legit?

Has management eluded to not selecting or having reservations towards Demidov?

Basu and Godin went from it would be a dream to have there at 5, to a 60% chance they'd take him if he was there. So.. idk at this point.

People can shit on them but they were right on Michkov. But they did say its not a 0% chance like it was with Michkov as this time Demidov has many fans in the org.

When they packed up…was there anything they found in their bags ?

I'm sure there will be next time.

• Haha
Reactions: McGees and jaffy27

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
in the (now locked) combine thread someone brought up how there's no NHL comparable for Demidov's skating style and how they worry about how effective it will be, but to me it's Jeff Skinner - not elite straight line speed but shifty with great edgework

Reactions: Locks and jaffy27

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Basu and Godin went from it would be a dream to have there at 5, to a 60% chance they'd take him if he was there. So.. idk at this point.

People can shit on them but they were right on Michkov. But they did say its not a 0% chance like it was with Michkov as this time Demidov has many fans in the org.

Was Lindstrom taken top 4 in this scenario or is this a scenario where the Habs have to choose between Demidov and Lindstrom?

Reactions: jaffy27

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Man would it suck to have the 5th overall pick, have the chance to draft the 2nd best player in the draft who just so happens to be a smaller dynamic Russian forward with the potential to put up more points than any Hab since Naslund, only to pass on him for a pretty good two way defenceman with size.

Reactions: habsfan891

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Man would it suck to have the 5th overall pick, have the chance to draft the 2nd best player in the draft who just so happens to be a smaller dynamic Russian forward with the potential to put up more points than any Hab since Naslund, only to pass on him for a pretty good two way defenceman with size.
Which defenseman are you eluding to?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Man i hope so much we end up with Lindstrom somehow. Please hockey gods, we deserve it.

Hughes has to make everything in his power to pick his top choice, even if he has to trade with Anaheim.

Probably the last time we pick in top 5 in this rebuild, better end up with a player we reaaly want/need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad