HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I honestly think both are being underrated because they're not massive or physical. But both have incredible offensive upside and neither are all that small. Parekh has the best OHL production from a D in a draft season in almost 35 years and Buium is doing Hutson-like stuff in the NCAA, except he's two years younger and bigger.

Buium is such easy money. I agree that he and Parekh are undervalued.

So is Connelly.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How is it legit?

Has management eluded to not selecting or having reservations towards Demidov?

Management hasn't said anything about anyone. I think it's legitimate for any team, including Montreal, because of the risk profile.

Reactions: jaffy27

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Buium is such easy money. I agree that he and Parekh are undervalued.

So is Connelly.

I'm more comfortable with Buium than Parekh, and both more than Connelly, but it feels like this is a draft where size+physicality is getting more hype.

I'm legitimately wondering if there's a trade framework that would have Hutson go to San Jose and Montreal get Pittsburgh's 1st, with the Habs parlaying that pick and Winnipeg's to get New Jersey's or Buffalo's pick. Not that I want to trade Hutson, but Buium and one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla or Catton may be better for Montreal in the long run (and better manage their young D pipeline).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm more comfortable with Buium than Parekh, and both more than Connelly, but it feels like this is a draft where size+physicality is getting more hype.

I'm legitimately wondering if there's a trade framework that would have Hutson go to San Jose and Montreal get Pittsburgh's 1st, with the Habs parlaying that pick and Winnipeg's to get New Jersey's or Buffalo's pick. Not that I want to trade Hutson, but Buium and one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla or Catton may be better for Montreal in the long run (and better manage their young D pipeline).

There were some rumours about us wanting to trade for Necas, I think that's more likely than all this pick swapping. No idea if that's true or what Carolina would want in return though. But something around an LD would open space for Buium.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Management hasn't said anything about anyone. I think it's legitimate for any team, including Montreal, because of the risk profile.
The risk being Russian or having inflated numbers in the MHL?

I highly doubt they’d package Hutson in any realistic deal proposal

Reactions: Troyp and waitin425

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just for fun, and I’m sure I’m opening up a can of worms here…who are you taking?

David Reinbacher and Ivan Demidov

VS

Zeev Buium and Matvei Michkov

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There were some rumours about us wanting to trade for Necas, I think that's more likely than all this pick swapping. No idea if that's true or what Carolina would want in return though. But something around an LD would open space for Buium.

I don't think pick swapping is all that likely, its more a thought I had.

Based on rumours and reporting, it sounds more like Montreal's just doing due diligence, but aren't interested in paying what Carolina would ask for (plus it sounds like Montreal doesn't have what Carolina is looking for).

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The risk being Russian or having inflated numbers in the MHL?
The risk is that you just don't know how he'll translate to a better level of play. That's not his fault, but it's still an unknown. Not a great skater either.

On the other hand he has the best hands in the draft, and is unbelievably creative. He's gotta be on the list for us at 5.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It is super strange to me too then. Maybe it's the knee injury?

Seems to just be the Russian factor again, SKA can basically f*** his development next year by forcing him into the MHL if he doesn't extend. Then there's the skating not being the best and of course the small winger piece.

I just don't buy it this time, Michkov it made more sense because he already was there long term, and there were legit smoke about him as a teammate and coachability. Nothing like that here.

I'm the opposite. Parekh is special offensively and a right shot. Buium isn't better offensively than Hutson, he's not better defensively than Guhle. What is he gonna do? Play 2nd PP and defend 5 on 5?

Just for fun, and I’m sure I’m opening up a can of worms here…who are you taking?

David Reinbacher and Ivan Demidov

VS

Zeev Buium and Matvei Michkov

Option A a thousand times over. It's not even close for me.

Absolute worst case scenario

And out of touch with what anyone at the combine heard.

Reactions: dinodebino

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Absolute worst case scenario
I could live with it just fine, but I guess coming out of it with Sennecke and Letourneau would leave some people angry. It's not quite as sexy as some of the other scenarios. I happen to like Letourneau's potential more than most and Sennecke is a giant homerun swing that I also happen to like.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

I’ve said a while ago, even before Beck run at the memorial cup.

As much as I like him, If I can package him with #26 to move up significantly I wouldn’t hesitate.

He’s gonna be an excellent bottom six player. But if he can help me get a pick in the low-teen on draft night and one of Catton/Eiserman/Sennecke/Parekh/Dickinson are still available...

Hutson is a different story all together. But he must also have quite the trade value at this point if you’re looking to move up.

I agree with Buium + one of Lindstrom/Demidov/Catton/Sennecke/Eiserman/MBN might be better in the long run.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
One thing that was said which is telling

Habs sports science staff watched all the groups and took diligent notes, not taking a break.

Until the last group came on and they packed up and left. Trevor Connelly was in the last group.

Two things you can bank on in this year's draft: Celebrini going first and the Habs taking a hard pass on Connelly.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I could live with it just fine, but I guess coming out of it with Sennecke and Letourneau would leave some people angry. It's not quite as sexy as some of the other scenarios. I happen to like Letourneau's potential more than most.
Wingers have so little value compared to centers and defensemen that if you spend a top 5 pick on a winger he needs to be exceptional. Demidov might be exceptional but Sennecke isn't (and neither is Iginla).

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
So like every yr, MTL will draft the wrong guy according to some, the right guy according to some, he will be hailed a bust shortly after, but also the best pick.

The rebuild will be ruined or on track. Hughes is genius or moronic dr evil look a like.

All this about 13 seconds after the pick.

The meltdown will likely be more entertaining as most seem overly invested in getting "their" guy drafted and being right even though when all is said and done , there is likely many right answers at that pick when you look at it 5 yrs from now

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Seems to just be the Russian factor again, SKA can basically f*** his development next year by forcing him into the MHL if he doesn't extend. Then there's the skating not being the best and of course the small winger piece.

I just don't buy it this time, Michkov it made more sense because he already was there long term, and there were legit smoke about him as a teammate and coachability. Nothing like that here.

I'm the opposite. Parekh is special offensively and a right shot. Buium isn't better offensively than Hutson, he's not better defensively than Guhle. What is he gonna do? Play 2nd PP and defend 5 on 5?

Option A a thousand times over. It's not even close for me.

And out of touch with what anyone at the combine heard.
How are these reports any different from what was being put out indicating we weren't taking Michkov?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It’s not the best but it’s not an issue is it?

As for small winger, think we can survive with Cole and Ivan being in the top 6, I just wouldn’t want to see any more sub 6’ foot guys on the top 2 lines.

Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How are these reports any different from what was being put out indicating we weren't taking Michkov?

They're different because no one has said we aren't interested, most people connected still see us selecting Demidov just not that it's the slam dunk they originally thought.

I don't like the direction we are going though. It could become just like Michkov.

It’s not the best but it’s not an issue is it?

As for small winger, think we can survive with Cole and Ivan being in the top 6, I just wouldn’t want to see any more sub 6’ foot guys on the top 2 lines.

I think Demidov is closer to 6' than 5'10 but hey anyone can convince themselves out of a great offensive player if they want. They did it once for the best defenseman who had Size poise and a preferred handedness last year. I can't get behind it this year for the 3rd best defenseman especially when one is just the wish version of Hutson offensively and isn't particularly studly on the defensive side.

Reactions: habsfan891 and Rozz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad